The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
jmsaunders

Post Elvis is leaving the building

Monday night I ran up to Clarksville from Lebanon (about a 200 - 220 mile round trip). On the way down the 72 was shaking BAD around 65 and would sorta begin to clear back up if I could get up to around 70 (yes I'm running the original inline 6 so that was generally going down hill with a strong tail wind lol). So I creeped down the highway doing 55 - 60 and took the truck straight to a tire shop and had the tires balanced. According to them they were WAY out of balance.
Problem solved I thought. Ran to my brothers and did some work on my nephews car. Jumped back on the interstate to come home and was having the same problem. It wasn't as bad but still definately there.
Did some snooping around the forum and the internet and came up with some ideas. I cleaned a lot of the 40 odd years of built up grease and dirt off the suspension. Greased my ball joints and u joints. Today I put her back on the interstate to see if she still Shakes, rattles and rolls lol. Well yes she does. But it is very slight. Later today I'm going to change the front shocks. If that doesn't fix it then next I'll take her in for an alignment. After that I'll move to the back shocks. Hopefully that'll get the prob completely fixed.
Yes the problem is still there but I'm just happy that most of it has been fixed with 'basic' maintenance

54 Chevy 3100 5.3/4L60E (Plan to make summer daily driver)
54 Chevy 3600 "Destiny" future project (Plan to build for my daughter)
72 C10 current daily driver
74 Nova Son's DD (His 1st car, we had to start him off right)
00 F*rd Expedition wife's DD (She's the trader in the house and doesn't drive a GM )
jmsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote