The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Hilljack51

51 Chevy Build

I figured I’d start a build thread to both share my experience and to serve as some sort of journal for myself along the way, and since I’ve finally started working on it (again) I figured now would be as good as a time as ever. I bought this truck back in Michigan at the naive age of 14, and proceeded to strip it down to the frame the following weekend. The truck had a running 250 straight six from a 1956 and the 3 speed, and aside from severe rust the truck was fully intact. Why I didn’t just drive it I’ll never know. I ran into the age old problem of balancing time and money, and at that age I had plenty of time but hardly any money.

Fast forward 14 years, and the truck has survived through high school, moving away to college for 4 years, moving to South Carolina, getting married, buying a house, and the birth of my son, all while being mostly in pieces and untouched, aside from being shoved into garages throughout all of this. Now that I have regained some stability in my life I’ve actually been able to start making some progress again, even if it is slower than I’d like. Throughout the years I was able to get the cab completed and in primer, and collect several various other body panels and parts to help accelerate the process once I get going.

The goal is to build a drivable street rod that is both reliable and fun to drive. The plan is to build it from the ground up, with mustang II IFS and triangulated 4-link in the back with airbags all the way around. Power will be generated by a GM LS V8, through a 4L60E and delivered to the wheels via a posi-trac 10 bolt (subject to change). The body will remain OE aside from the shaved cab vents and gas tank fill neck. Interior will also be pretty much stock aside from a reupholstered seat and updated electronics and sound. Like I said before, the balance between time and money is always a fine line so the progress may vary but I plan on keeping this as updated as possible. Here it is as it sits today.
Attached Images

Hilljack51 is offline   Reply With Quote