The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #201
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Steve,

I may have to look into that damper if this trans grenades someday.

Here is a better shot of how the OEM grill turned out. I love the way it looks much more so than the old chrome tube grill.

Also figured out how to fix the transmission noise, I found a big round knob on the new stereo where when you twist it to the right the transmission noise fads away and replaced with music. That fix will have to work for now.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #202
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Very nice! Are your front springs in the stock hangers?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #203
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Very nice! Are your front springs in the stock hangers?
Yes sir.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #204
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Yeah, after I looked closer I realized it was the top of the inside of your left rim I was seeing and thinking it was an after market hanger.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #205
jonessmc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
well i have to ask, did you bend this bracket yet. The first time i put mine in 4HI it went in fine because that bracket was in tension. When i took it out of 4HI the bracket was in compression and twisted up pretty good. Between the quality of this bracket and the porous casting of np205 spacer i'm not very impressed with my only experience with advance adapters.

BTW i pulled the y pipe off yesterday and changed both donut gaskets and put dynamat down on the trans tunnel under the carpet. The truck is now just as quiet as a stock truck on the inside except for an awkward rattle / click in 2nd and 5th. We should have a nv4500 meet just to compare odd noises these transmissions make lol

"Yea, it was a fuel supply problem. A rod came through the block and cut the fuel line."
jonessmc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #206
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonessmc87 View Post
well i have to ask, did you bend this bracket yet. The first time i put mine in 4HI it went in fine because that bracket was in tension. When i took it out of 4HI the bracket was in compression and twisted up pretty good. Between the quality of this bracket and the porous casting of np205 spacer i'm not very impressed with my only experience with advance adapters.

BTW i pulled the y pipe off yesterday and changed both donut gaskets and put dynamat down on the trans tunnel under the carpet. The truck is now just as quiet as a stock truck on the inside except for an awkward rattle / click in 2nd and 5th. We should have a nv4500 meet just to compare odd noises these transmissions make lol

Looks like you missed posts 84 and 119 where I didn’t use the AA shifter bracket because it just looked flimsy and I didn’t like the shifter location. I ended up using an ORD twin stick shifter. I am starting to think some of the noises in these transmissions are normal by the number of people I spoke to lately that say theirs rattles too.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #207
jonessmc87

Quote:
Looks like you missed posts 84 and 119 where I didn’t use the AA shifter bracket because it just looked flimsy and I didn’t like the shifter location. I ended up using an ORD twin stick shifter. I am starting to think some of the noises in these transmissions are normal by the number of people I spoke to lately that say theirs rattles too.
haha yea i was sitting in class ten minutes after i said that and remembered your ORD setup. The bracket does a good job putting the shifter in the stock location except its like 3/8 or an inch too far to the passenger side. just another reason for a little more fabrication to make it strong enough to be functional. O and i'm picking the shifter knob up tomorrow morning, im curious if it has the m12 x 1.5 threads in it or not.

"Yea, it was a fuel supply problem. A rod came through the block and cut the fuel line."
jonessmc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #208
Oilbrnr

She looks great Larry! Assuming the mtn. range in the pic is to the west, you need to retake that pic in the same spot after a fresh snow at sunrise! The grill does look better. (I'd like to chat with you later on the argent paint you didn't use)

Seats turned out great! I guess I didn't realize how different those final square body burb seat were with the Cabela's covers on. (which if I would save for runs where things are dusty/dirty, as they are not hard to throw on quick)

I'm real curious to see how you like that ACC *molded* mat long term.

I did my K5 with it two years ago about this time of year. In my shop at the time it was ~50* and it proved to be a challenge to work with. I thought that a heat gun would work well to help form it. NOT!

Maybe their formula is different now, but my mat SHRUNK with heat. And here in Scottsdale/Phoenix it has continued to contract. It is starting to put considerable stain on the floor dimmer switch and under my right heel. Most products like this expand with heat, this seems to be out-gassing/drying/black-holing and shrinking in the process.

I'm freshening up my '80 K20 Custom Deluxe work-truck, and I'm going back to loop carpet with rubber floor mats. Too bad to hear about the Husky liners. I was going to offer to buy them!

Interesting to hear about the NV4500 tick. Your idea to run it for a bit and then check or have the oil inspected is good. Proll'y run like that for another 200k! Do different oils help? And unless I missed it, how do you think the longer high speed drives to your destination adventure trips are going to be now? I know that was one of your major goals after the N-AZ/Canyon/UT trip. Also, have you started a thread about the new shell replacement?

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf

Last edited by Oilbrnr; 02-18-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #209
DirtyLarry

Thanks Don,

I was thinking about you this week as I flew through Skyharbor and spent the week in Tucson. I didn’t get to spend any time around Phoenix this time other than fly in and out….and grab a Double Double at In and Out Burger in Chandler on my way to Tucson.

You’re right, that picture is a western exposure late in the afternoon so there is a lot of shadowing and you’re also right on with the Cabela’s seat covers. Those will be going on before we leave for the next desert trip, which is planned for June 25th though July 3rd somewhere to Canyonlands again.

So far, the ACC mat is working well. I did have to use a heat gun to manipulate around and trim. This one actually grows when it gets warm. We’ll see what the high ambient temps do to it this summer.

Regarding the noise, I don’t know if different oils do any good. All GM documents point the fluid to Synchromesh with dire warning if other fluids are used so I am going to stick with that.

It will be really nice having OD for these long trips. We will be able to save some fuel on the highway and relax the engine while getting there! My buddy upgraded his ’83 Ram Charger to a ’92 so he now has EFI and OD as well. We basically moved the axles, suspension and winch bumpers from one to the other. Added front and rear ARB’s to it too! Man, those are way cool! His Ram Charger is B.A.!

We are already planning to coordinate a trip to the Mojave Rd in CA in April 2012 along with attending the Overland Expo in Amado, AZ south of Tucson. I am not going to be able to make it to that Expo this April though.

I don’t have a thread on the camper yet but will in about a month. The scheduled delivery date is March 18th. Each camper is custom made and no two are alike. Below is the company building it. Mine will be similar to the PULSE on the Jeep but with a lower roofline like a Four Wheel Camper. This company actually founded Four Wheel Campers. The whole camper will weigh less than 1000 lbs and will be painted to match the Rhino lining color. Thought about going body color blue but it is just too much blue with an overhead camper. Getting ready to rework the rear bumper in a few weeks as the spare tire, 4 Sceptor fuel cans and a high-lift are getting relocated there before we leave on desert trip Part Tres. Stay tuned

http://www.phoenixcampers.com/
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #210
Billhilly

Hey Larry,

Truck is looking great! Just jealous really. OD is going to be great behind that motor. I see you (the cleaner version) over on Expo and was going to ask about your camper, but I guess if I wait a month all will be revealed. Going to be a slick camping setup for sure.

Bill.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #211
DirtyLarry

I took the beast on a 300 mile shakedown ride to Denver and back today for final measurement for the upcoming Phoenix Camper that is getting built. Man, the only place I want to drive this truck now is straight off a cliff! I cannot live with this transmission noise so something is getting done this weekend. It is so loud doing 75-80 MPH you cannot even hear yourself think. Heck, even at 55 to 60 it drives you batty. I don’t think I can stand to drive this back and forth to Denver next month to pick up the camper when it is done. The more I listen to it I do think the cheap $25 Craigslist 205 transfercase needs a closer inspection. I noticed the noise is there in 4th gear at high speeds as well as high speeds coasting in neutral. I swear this noise got worse on this trip.

Other than the brain rattling noise, it goes down the highway great and the seats are very comfy. No problems, no vibrations, no leaks….nada…just lots of noise.

Here is a sneak peek at Casa Bigassgas8.1 as some of the frame work is laid out.

It will have a lot in common with this camper but with a shorter top and without the overhang. Mine will also have full body paint.

And a lot in common with this Ruby. Mine will be narrow and hug the body like this.

But it will fit completely in the bed where the tailgate will shut like this one
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #212
Oilbrnr

That sucks. Nothing like getting everything buttoned back up, to find out you have to tear back into it! Think one of those cheap stethoscope things would help you figure out what is the culprit by listening on the sticks while driving? I know the sound will telegraph, but it might help narrow it down a bit...

Then again, neutral coast with the same noise as 4th (non-direct) would point me to the TC as well.

The Phoenix Campers look very nice (though their web site could use some web design TLC :-) )!

I take it that the Happy-Jac's are going to be removable on yours if you go that route? I can't imagine that they'd stay attached for long during serious offroad adventures!

Curious as to why you want it to be inside the tailgate though? Does the Ruby version open to the interior? Makes me wonder about a K5 version... a 2011 Chalet!

BTW, went to In-n-Out just the other day for a Double-Double Animal Protein Style. (gotta limit the carbs you know ) DTC Corp. is just a few miles away from TWO!

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf

Last edited by Oilbrnr; 02-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #213
DirtyLarry

Yeah, it sucks having to rip it back apart but figured it would happen anyway for some reason or another. Actually, I was counting on an oil leak more than this. Stethoscope would be nice but we are going one better. Trying to get our hands on a set of GM dealer chassis ears with leads that you clip to several locations and listen to each individually while driving. That should be the cat’s meow.

You’re right about Phoenix’s website! Four Wheel Campers website sucks even more.

And you also right, that the jacks will be coming off about 2 minutes after I get it home. Once the camper is on…it is staying there. We will have to pull it off at least once as we are installing an air compressor and 5 gallon tank on the driver’s side between the wheel well and front bed wall.

I mainly wanted it to fit completely in the bed for two reasons. One, the tailgate will make for a nice porch and the other is the security knowing the tailgate will add a little bit of barrier in case it ever tries to escape while making a steep climb. In a few weeks the rear bumper is getting reworked to add a double swing tire carrier and fuel can holder. It will open barn door style.

Here is one they did on a K5 a while back. The exterior is still made of the old corrugated aluminum siding that I cannot stand. The bed above the cab on mine will be even with the front of the cab and not hang over like this one.

I am headed to CA in a few weeks and look forward to getting my next In and Out fix! Yum!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #214
Oilbrnr

Quote:

Here is one they did on a K5 a while back. The exterior is still made of the old corrugated aluminum siding that I cannot stand. The bed above the cab on mine will be even with the front of the cab and not hang over like this one.

The pic does look -90's ish, but the idea might not be bad. If you shift the main cabin aft and bring it in line with the cab like yours will be, how compromised do you think the departure angle would be? (assuming the same lift height as your truck)

Well, I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but I think you are really going to enjoy it. The more comfortable you sleep on those trips, the more you appreciate the waking hours of them!

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #215
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Judging by the way you are describing the sound in your drive train, you probably wont be driving it up this way any time soon, but if you do, I would love to see if I can lend a hand in diagnosing the noise... mostly because I just want a ride in your truck

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #216
duallyjams

I know that I am more than a stone throw from ya but i have an extra 27 spline 205.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #217
jltait

Larry,
I noticed you referenced fluid gm part number 12345349, I think this is the synchromesh for the nv35xx. I think the correct number for the Re-bottled castrol syntorq (required for NV4500) is GM part number 12346190. Maybe you simply mis-quoted or could be my number is incorrect, but I am pretty sure this is the number and I know it makes a BIG difference.
Jason
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #218
DirtyLarry

Thanks for the offer duallyjams. My buddy and I are going to pull this one apart this weekend and see what is going on and fix this one….providing that is the issue. Nothing looked obvious when we took it apart to reseal it. Maybe I dropped some of those needle bearings or something going back together.

Jltait,

You had me curious there for a minute but I found the invoice from the dealer I got the fluid from. It is indeed 12346190, which was the part number from the side of the transmission. That is what I get for quickly googling the pn for the post instead of looking up the invoice. Good catch though! It was worth double checking.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #219
jltait

Larry,
Yeah worth checking, but I doubt it would have caused the noise issues you are having anyway. I think the wrong fluid typically attacks the synchro's over time/heat cycles. But definitely worth a second look..
Jason

PS I would take time to check the 5th gear fit while you have the t-case out, especially if you do not find something obvious in the t-case.

Last edited by jltait; 02-24-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add ps
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #220
Billhilly

You must be getting jittery waiting for the camper! Bummer about the noise issue. I know you will have access to 205 parts etc in CO, but Dan has most everything if you can't find it local - http://www.quad4x4.com/New_Process_NP205_Parts.html
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #221
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I know you already know you have the right fluid, but just a little tid bit for all. The fluid for the NV3500 Synchromesh is red like automatic tranny fluid and is about 5 bucks a quart. The Castrol Syntorq for the NV4500 is very light tan and costs 25 bucks a quart or so. 25 bucks for 5 quarts is not too bad, considering the factory service manual says "do not change unless contaminated" for the interval.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #222
Meatman

I have a NV4500 in my truck. It was just rebuilt when I bought the truck and its pretty noisy too. I didnt run the fancy synthetic fluid, I went to the parts store and bought the regular gear lube, but GL4 specific. I was told it has to be GL4 due to the brass non fiber sycros. I added a little Lucas also. Ive only put a few hundred miles on it but have noticed its really noisy especially when its cold in the mornings, I can feel alot of weird stuff through the shifter too, mainly before it warms up. Way different then the SM465 in my 76 or the 6 speed in my formula.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #223
DirtyLarry

Pretty sure we found the problem Saturday. Ran the truck on stands and listened to the trans and tcase through a stethoscope and found the noise emitting from the rear of the tcase. Pulled the tcase, ripped it apart and found the rear output gear badly damage from corrosion. Don’t know how in the world we missed that when we resealed it.

So we ran over to a local bone yard and picked up another 27 spline 205 only to get it home, open it and find it in worse shape… Much worse. It looked like it had been lying in the dirt with the bearing side exposed for decades or it was the tcase off from the Titanic. That tcase is going back today.

Found another 205 on Craigslist for $20 with a broken input shaft Saturday. Figured it would be worth $20 in small parts if it was badly damaged. Got it home and pulled it apart to find it was actually in great shape despite the broken input. So, between my original $25 CL 205 and this latest $20 score we can make 1 good one. Have a bearing and seal kit on order now and will be reassembling next weekend then we’ll see!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #224
duallyjams

wow was it filled with water before you got it.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #225
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Holy macro photo dude! Glad you were able to find the smoking gun causing the noise. That and it wasn't coming from the freebie nv4500.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote