The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #501
Kim57

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

I get with the cost of new stuff.
I think the hood ornament looks fine.
Kim
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #502
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah and that's probably what's wrong with it! It's "fine". Like asking your wife, "...are you ok?" And she responds, "Im fine" Which of course means she isn't. Lol

If I can manage to paint the red & black without ruining the "chrome" finish with the tape I'll install it and live with it a few days. If I don't like it, in the drawer it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #503
Russell Ashley

Dan, I wasn't dissing your chrome paint job, it actually looks pretty good. The problem I see is that once it's installed and the hood closed it will be too close to your new chrome grill. You'll notice the difference even if the rest of us don't, LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #504
Dan in Pasadena

Oh I know you weren't. No issue Russ and I totally agree. It's the contrast between new and old (well, actually cheapo paint lol) that will make it look bad. If it weren't for the chrome on the truck the paint would kinda/sorta look like old chrome that's lost it's pizazz. Well from 20 ft. it might.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #505
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Yeah and that's probably what's wrong with it! It's "fine". Like asking your wife, "...are you ok?" And she responds, "Im fine" Which of course means she isn't. Lol

If I can manage to paint the red & black without ruining the "chrome" finish with the tape I'll install it and live with it a few days. If I don't like it, in the drawer it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I actually do think it looks fine. Chrome is nice but I also like the subdued look your truck has going on with the flat paint. I know you'll be changing that in the future but I think it's great you're able to drive and enjoy it now.
That's my goal this year on mine, get it on the road even if it's not totally where I want it to be.
I will have very little chrome on mine if any at all.
Kim
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #506
Dan in Pasadena

Your truck is gonna be extra special to me Kim cause I MIGHT actually get to see it at done point. I can't wait.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #507
Dan in Pasadena

Man, these vendors must read these forums or something.

Bowtie Bits has the hood ornament for $195! Dipping below the $200 line has me "jones-ing" for one and counting my pennies. Of course that will only make me want the side emblems all the more...and those are $270 a set.

If I go the $195 and someone suddenly has the sides for $195 I'm gonna think they're gunning for me!

I do NOT "need" this stuff. I am just being dumb even looking at this stuff.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #508
JR25

Dan,
WOW!!! You are inspiring! I have read thru your ENTIRE thread over the last two days when I have down time (military exercise). I bought an "ole fix-er-uper" a little while back for me and my sons to work on. I promised the wife that it would not take every spare minute ans penny that I have.......but I was wrong!

I blew mine apart when I couldnt get the 235 inline 6 to start, so frame up resto it is! This will be my first auto rebuild of any kind, but I have tools and equipment and an attitude that "nothing can be that hard"! I am in the process of rebuilding the engine now, looking for a T5 tranny, and getting brakes, suspension, gas tank, etc like new again.

Sorry, I started rambeling about my truck!
I LOVE the colors on yours, and if you repaint yours, I might steal your current color theme! with all that said, after I stripped my frame and coated it in POR15 semi gloss, I recoated it in, wait for it............ Rustoleum semi flat!!! It hides some of the minor flaws, and has a more even look! Below is a pic of how it turned out! I might start a build thread some day! Keep rattelin n sprayin, and chrome is more addictive than crack........ Ask a Harley rider as well!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #509
Dan in Pasadena

JR,
Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to read through TWENTY pages. I didn't realize I had blabbed THAT much! Ha Ha.

Inspiring? Nah, you guys that are doing full frame off jobs are the inspiring ones to me. I just know I'd likely crap out if I took mine all the way down to nothing. Plus I don't have the space for it anyway. But I DO plan to eventually blow it all apart for final real paint. And yeah, the color is beginning to grow on me even though it started off as an almost accident.

I really want to get to my frame like you but I'm forcing myself to weld repair the very minor rust holes in the bottoms of my doors, then I plan to paint the door bottoms in & out with KBS, and then....! I FINALLY get to put the weather stripping on and eliminate the door rattles.

But soon, I'll pull the bed off and go at the rear of the frame with scrapers, wire wheels and Ospho to totally eliminate the rust. Then I'm planning to roll on (yes, I said roll) Rustoleum Hammered paint even though I do have a compressor an spray gun. I've had extremely good luck with that paint, plus rolling it will allow me to easily touch it up if needed later.

JR, Please post a thread. I' love to see your progress!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #510
JR25

I really like the POR15. I bought a quart, and still have about half of it left! It brushes on but dries smooth. If you get the metal clean, and then use the POR Metal Ready first, you cant hardly beat the paint off, and it completely seals/kills the rust!

Just a thought!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #511
Dan in Pasadena

I've got a quart of KBS Rust Bullet I bought a year ago. IF it's not rock hard when I open it I'll use it but I didn't buy their "prep" - whatever it is. I assume it is a hard degreaser or maybe a light acid to etch the metal(?)

I wonder if the KBS and POR15 are the same thing?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #512
JR25

Not sure? The prep does seem to smell like naval jelly though (acid etcher).
Maybe someone else can chime in. After using it though, I POUNDED the kingpins back on with the axle sitting on the frame as you see it, and actually made a few small dings where the two were slamming into each other, but just a couple of small places lost the paint!
That is why I was so impressed with it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #513
JR25

Not sure? The prep does seem to smell like naval jelly though (acid etcher).
Maybe someone else can chime in. After using it though, I POUNDED the kingpins back on with the axle sitting on the frame as you see it, and actually made a few small dings where the two were slamming into each other, but just a couple of small places lost the paint!
That is why I was so impressed with it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #514
Dan in Pasadena

Sounds great. I hope my KBS is still useable and works that well.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #515
Dan in Pasadena

Had chores to do today so only very minor stuff got done. I guess every little bit helps, huh?

The mountain bike inner tube I'd put over my tailgate chains a couple weeks ago were bugging me - too loosely fitting. I thought it looked half-assed so I stopped off at the bike shop Friday an picked up a roadie bike tube from their trash. Fits nice and snug now. I put tire dressing on it to get rid of the talcum gray looks it came with:

I also made an attempt at restoring my side emblems. They came out only ok. They're "10 footers" but they'll have to do as the repops cost over $200! I'll wait to buy them until I get a wild hair one of these days.

Somewhere along the line someone had painted them black - correct for '56 but white is correct for '55 and I kinda like it. I think I WILL buy the V8 emblems for below these though. Hopefully their new chrome won't make these look worse!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #516
Kim57

Looking good. Every little bit helps.
Kim
Old 04-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #517
Dan in Pasadena

I guess.

Feels like Chinese water torture sometimes though.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #518
JR25

I think it is great that you get to drive your truck while working on it! I dont think Im ever gonna get the cab back on mine, with 3 young boys (4,6,8) it is nice having the "helpers", but then there is ball games, throwing the ball in the yard, helping them with whatever they think is cool at the time, and oh yeah did I mention I have a wife too!!

The small details on the truck are getting discouraging!

Keep up the work on yours, it looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #519
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the compliments JR.

There's NOTHING more important than playing with those boys. My son will be 32 this summer (eek!) and I spent every day, all the time with him when I wasn't at work. He was my co-pilot at all times and we talked about ANYthing that came to his mind. He and I are incredibly close to this day as a result.

As for your truck? I worried "life" would get in the way if I took mine all the way down to the frame immediately....and I don't have small kids anymore. I think you'll get there IF you can find a way to source some funds for it. Just little-by-little. Maybe your water bottles/soda can recycling dollars? Maybe X% from your yearly tax return? Maybe you set aside $20 a paycheck? (yes, hard to do when kids are little). But something; however small so you don't feel like you'll NEVER have a spare dollar to use on your truck.

Personally, I'd figure out THE most economical way to get it back running. Rebuild the 235 or find a used one on Craigslist. Wire wheel, Ospho & roll that frame and get on with it. Maybe start a thread just to keep you motivated?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #520
JR25

I am using the L6, my machinest is waiting on all of the components I have ordered so he can check them over before he gives it back for me to re-assemble.

The kids do come first, but I like it more when they want to work on the truck!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #521
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
I am using the L6....
Very cool. If mine hadn't come with the 283 and camel hump heads I'd have left the 235 in it and dressed it out nicely. Something like this 250:

If anything ever happens to my 283 I intend to rebuild it or replace it because I like the "retro" aspect the older, smaller engines give trucks.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #522
G&R's57GMC

Quote:
Had chores to do today so only very minor stuff got done. I guess every little bit helps, huh?

The mountain bike inner tube I'd put over my tailgate chains a couple weeks ago were bugging me - too loosely fitting. I thought it looked half-assed so I stopped off at the bike shop Friday an picked up a roadie bike tube from their trash. Fits nice and snug now. I put tire dressing on it to get rid of the talcum gray looks it came with:
Dan, Be sure to punch a hole at the bottom of the tube so water can drain out.

Looks good.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #523
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks.

I don't know about "good" but it certainly looks better than the loose one did. (For some reason the old ones reminded me of those kids that wear their pants UNDER their ass cheeks,)

Yup, there's a rain hole. It's square made with scissors cause I don't own an old fashioned paper punch. Not sure how I'd only punch a hole through only ONE side anyway! lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #524
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments JR.

As for your truck? I worried "life" would get in the way if I took mine all the way down to the frame immediately....and I don't have small kids anymore. I think you'll get there IF you can find a way to source some funds for it. Just little-by-little. Maybe your water bottles/soda can recycling dollars? Maybe X% from your yearly tax return? Maybe you set aside $20 a paycheck? (yes, hard to do when kids are little). But something; however small so you don't feel like you'll NEVER have a spare dollar to use on your truck.

Personally, I'd figure out THE most economical way to get it back running. Rebuild the 235 or find a used one on Craigslist. Wire wheel, Ospho & roll that frame and get on with it. Maybe start a thread just to keep you motivated?
Dan is absolutely right JR.
15 yrs ago when I 1st pulled mine down I used to spend between 50 - 100 dollars on parts whenever pomona swap meet was going and I was there. Over that time I had collected most of the parts I needed to finish mine like door handles, headlight bezels, tail lights, power brake booster, mirrors and arms, door relays, window & door seals etc. I used to save my change (coins) and use that for parts as we have 4 kids (aged 10-23 yrs old).
It sat for a long time while i worked in my shop and pushed it out of the way. Recently I have spent alot of $ but only because we had alot of change and aluminum cans
little by little is the best way, as for time to work on it I have spent alot of time on it recently mainly because my 10 yr old daughter has been pushing me hard at the fact that she wants too go cruizing to car shows in it and she helps me work on it sometimes. She personally wants a 55 chevy Belair for her 1st car.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #525
JR25

That gives me a GREAT idea! I need to load the family up and take them to a classic's show of some sort..........then maybe they would want me to spend more time trying to get 'er dun!
Posted via Mobile Device