The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
jor1369

New Project planning stages, Advise wanted.

Hey guys,

Been lurking here for several years and I have been getting ideas from all of your builds and threads.

Background and truck

I bought my 71 C10 SWB in 07 and I've been itching to get the project going. I want do a frame off restoration. I have started the disassembly already and I will be concentrating on the frame and then the engine. I suspect it will take me a long time to get this done but thats what I have been wanting to do.

Now the advise I am looking for...

I am probably going with a 4/6 ECE drop. Will i need to get their drop crossmember?

Should I replace the trailing arms?

Should I go through the front suspension as I go or should I just rebuild it all?

Should I replace the differential or just swap the gears?

I am still torn between rebuilding the current engine "350" and tranny which will probably need everything rebuilt and upgraded or getting a LS. My only concern is the 350 is an easy install compared to an LS. I would like to stay competative on the road with any new model truck. I just want to keep up but not too extreme. What should I go with?

On last question.
What primer/paint to I use for the frame, or should I powdercoat?

Lots of questions, hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction.

Once I get started I will post a new build tread.

I am limited on space so hopefully I can get through the build without farming out the work.

Thanks guys
Attached Images

jor1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: New Project planning stages, Advise wanted.

Do you have a budget in mind? There's difference between should and have to.
My humble opinion in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor1369 View Post
Hey guys,

Been lurking here for several years and I have been getting ideas from all of your builds and threads.

Background and truck

I bought my 71 C10 SWB in 07 and I've been itching to get the project going. I want do a frame off restoration. I have started the disassembly already and I will be concentrating on the frame and then the engine. I suspect it will take me a long time to get this done but thats what I have been wanting to do.

Now the advise I am looking for...

I am probably going with a 4/6 ECE drop. Will i need to get their drop crossmember? No, but you're near the point where a c notch would be worth considering. Since I'm spending your money, I say get the Scott's Hotrods coil spring rear setup.

Should I replace the trailing arms? Not unless you want to. Since I'm spending your money, I say go with the rear end described above.

Should I go through the front suspension as I go or should I just rebuild it all? I say rebuild. It's not that expensive.

Should I replace the differential or just swap the gears? Defer on this until you decide on the engine. If you go ls, then you'll probably get a different trans, which will dictate what gear you want.

I am still torn between rebuilding the current engine "350" and tranny which will probably need everything rebuilt and upgraded or getting a LS. My only concern is the 350 is an easy install compared to an LS. I would like to stay competative on the road with any new model truck. I just want to keep up but not too extreme. What should I go with? You can keep up either way you go. Just depends on what you feel like taking on. Since I'm spending your money, is say ls.

On last question.
What primer/paint to I use for the frame, or should I powdercoat? Depends on how much you want to spend. Blast it and use rattle can Rustoleum. Advantage is it can be touched up easily. Since I'm spending your money, I say powder coat.

Lots of questions, hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction.

Once I get started I will post a new build tread.

I am limited on space so hopefully I can get through the build without farming out the work.

Thanks guys
Just remember - anything worth doing is worth doing several times till you get it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
jor1369

Thanks, some goood points. As far as a budget I really don't have one as long as I go in small steps.

I looked into the Scotts page bur I could not find the Coil spring rear setup?

Last edited by jor1369; 11-18-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
jor1369

I am more than likely going with an LS swap. Can I also use the brake system from the donor vehicle when I find one or do I just get a conversion kit with a new master and add a booster. Will I need a per portioning valve?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Thanks, some goood points. As far as a budget I really don't have one as long as I go in small steps.

I looked into the Scotts page bur I could not find the Coil spring rear setup?
They call it Four Bar. Link

Quote:
I am more than likely going with an LS swap. Can I also use the brake system from the donor vehicle when I find one or do I just get a conversion kit with a new master and add a booster. Will I need a per portioning valve?
Posted via Mobile Device
The brakes off your donor car aren't going to swap over. When you decide if you're going to put disks on just the fronts or all the way around, just order the pro portioning valves with the master cylinder/booster as a kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Ackattack

Send out the frame to get it sandblasted, do all of your frame modifications (notch, ect) and then paint it with POR15. I sandblasted my own frame and wish I would have paid to have someone do it (it would have been cheaper too).

What are your goals for the truck: daily driver, cruiser, racer, show car, work truck?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
jor1369

I want a good quality restore but not good enough that I would not want to use it as a daily. I am a bit scared of using POR15. I was thinking primer/paint. How much did you money/time spend on the blasting.

Thanks for the replies
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Xeen

Sand blasting is actualy not that expensive considering how much they can get done in an hour, shop around and find a competitive price, just be carefull if you are going to have any body panels blasted and make sure the guy that is actualy doing it has experiance doing it on metal that thin.
I would disassemble everything and take them all the parts you are going to reuse and have it all blasted at once, its alot of parts that you will be really busy sealing right away but its worth it.
I would also have all the trouble areas blasted on the cab, it can be done quickly and will save you alot of time later on.
As far as being scared to use POR15, dont be there is nothing to be scared of there.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
ccracin
CCTek

I"m going to throw out another option. I mean no offense by this statement, but it sounds from your questions that you don't have the plan mapped out well enough. This is how most projects get started, get too expensive and then get abandoned. If I were you, I would put this truck on the back burner. Go out and find a decent driver that has some of this stuff done already. Solid body, solid chassis, decent motor and trans. Get something you can enjoy and do upgrade projects a little at a time. You can do a lowering job in a week or so just messing around. Likewise with a brake swap. All the while you can drive it, enjoy it and decide what it is you really want. You will also have the time to research each move to make sure you are comfortable with it. I know all these over the top builds on here look great, but it takes a huge amount of planning, time, and money. I would hate to see you take that truck apart and decide you are in too far and not have anything. I am certain if you take my advice you will have more fun, learn more and spend WAY less money. Good Luck. Whatever you do, make sure you document it here, we love projects!

68 swb Project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=262840

72 swb Project SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3993641

THANKS TO: Hermance Design (www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Tri-State Machine, Wegner Automotive Research, Nsane Hotrodz (www.nsanehotrodz.com), Clayton Machine Works, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com)
ccracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Jon01

What Chad said.
If you haven't done a stem to stern rebuild before put it back together, sell it and get one that's usable as-is.
Too many projects get started, torn apart and people lose interest and end up selling them for next to nothing in a million pieces.
You'll gain valuable knowledge tinkering plus you can drive it and enjoy it while fixing things to your liking.
Tackling 100 small projects is MUCH easier than 1 huge one like you're taking on.
Just my $.02, been there, done that.
71 SWB C10 - LQ4+S476r
06 Duramax - LBZ - Exhaust, EFI Live, etc...
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
I"m going to throw out another option. I mean no offense by this statement, but it sounds from your questions that you don't have the plan mapped out well enough. This is how most projects get started, get too expensive and then get abandoned. If I were you, I would put this truck on the back burner. Go out and find a decent driver that has some of this stuff done already. Solid body, solid chassis, decent motor and trans. Get something you can enjoy and do upgrade projects a little at a time. You can do a lowering job in a week or so just messing around. Likewise with a brake swap. All the while you can drive it, enjoy it and decide what it is you really want. You will also have the time to research each move to make sure you are comfortable with it. I know all these over the top builds on here look great, but it takes a huge amount of planning, time, and money. I would hate to see you take that truck apart and decide you are in too far and not have anything. I am certain if you take my advice you will have more fun, learn more and spend WAY less money. Good Luck. Whatever you do, make sure you document it here, we love projects!
I must say, I have done them both ways. My 72 I had in HS and college I did small upgrades at one time. My 68 was a frame off. I must say I enjoyed the process SO much better doing the 72. It was over 2 years before I ever drove my 68. Granted, I "finished" it and can drive it now, but I don't know if I'll ever do a frame off again.

On my 69, I did upgrades in steps, but they were in such succession I didn't drive it a whole lot, but still fun.

Now I'm working on this 97 pickup....not really a restoration but a few VERY significant upgrades (cummins, SAS, shortening frame to make it a shortbed) that I'm plugging away at.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Tinkermc

take your time enjoy the build think it out it cost more to do it the second time and welcome to the forum
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
jor1369

Thanks guys, all advise is welcomed. Some of you might be right about getting to ahead of myself. So I will not worry about the major swaps until later.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Xeen

Jor in my opinion to make it a daily driver with modern day functionality, drivability, and safety you only have to upgrade a couple of things from factory.

Rebuild the front end suspension and steering entirely back to factory specs or better, use Moog parts for the ball joints and tie rods. Upgrade your steering box to a "Red-Head quick ratio" and a 14" after market steering wheel.

If you dont have Tilt buy a rebuilt or good condition factory original or a CPP direct fit.

Buy a "Vintage Air" H/VAC system.

If your truck doesnt have them already upgrade to 3-point seatbelts, the truck already has the hard mounts for it from the factory.

Leave the factory front Disc in its original configuration, and add a rear Disc Kit, which will come with everything you need to upgrade it to 4-wheel Disc, many manufactures make this Kit CPP is an example of one of them.

Remove the factory front 1/2 Ton sway bar and replace it with a high performance version 1-1/4", and add a high performance sway bar in the back.

Keep the stock trailing arms, and if you are going to drop the truck make sure to buy a rear shock relocation kit, and a front shock reinforcement kit.

Keep the original rear axle, but you will want a 3.50-3.73 ratio limited slip so change out the guts if necessary.

Upgrade to a 700R4 transmission.

If you decide to Rebuild the 350 small block go with a minimum of 300 Horsepower, with HEI and a matched Edelbrock intake, cam, and electric choke Carb, just call them up and tell them what you want to do and they will give you part numbers. You may need a little head work to open them up to handle the Horsepower upgrade or instead source some different heads depending on what you currently have.

Add Dual exhaust, use Stainless to the back of the cab then anodized the rest of the way, and make sure to tell them not to block your starter because if it ever goes bad you need to be able to replace it without removing the exhaust, and whatever you do dont put the mufflers under the cab.

This will get you back on the road quickly and you will be very happy with the results. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions