The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2016, 01:23 AM   #1
68shortwide

Comfortable Steel Toes?

Starting Tech school for engine building in the near future and I'm looking for some comfortable workboots. My only requirements are they be black, steel toed, and come in 13 wide. What have you guys found to be best for those long days on concrete and asphalt? Yes I have searched and only found a couple of decent threads, one of which is exactly 6 years old today.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Comfortable Steel Toes?

Though I don't work in the shop daily, I use Redwing boots with the steel toe. Very comfortable and they make it much easier to put in a full day on concrete when I am in the shop all day. They are probably more expensive than other brands and worth it.

I dropped a full size argon bottle on my foot ...actually just above the toe cap right on my instep. Thought for sure I was going to break my foot. The boot had enough support on the bottom that helped with cushioning the impact, protecting me from serious injury.

Like I said, probably more expensive and worth it.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
cg285

knapp shoes. they are out of business now. my redwings hurt and don't last long.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I tried redwings omce and didn't like them..I have a wide foot and the steel toe was digging in the side of my big toe..about the only steelies I can wear are wolverine durashocks and timberland endurance..but imstill have to go one size larger and make sure its wide..both will carry me thru a 12hr shift on concrete..its all in what fits your foot the best..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
midnight rambler

timberland pros
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
pwdcougar

You guys are going to think I'm nuts but I love my $35 Walmart Brahama boots. Last pair lasted two years and were comfortable as all heck. I always spring for a set of the Dr Sholls things too. That's another 12 bucks. They come in black too!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
You guys are going to think I'm nuts but I love my $35 Walmart Brahama boots. Last pair lasted two years and were comfortable as all heck. I always spring for a set of the Dr Sholls things too. That's another 12 bucks. They come in black too!

Paul
My uncle loves the Walmart Brahama boots. Lol He gets a couple years out of them too. Me I like Redwing boots, Red wings foot bed inserts don't seem to last that long for me though. I currently have the Redwing orthotic inserts in them now and they have made a big difference in comfort, yet not perfect. We will see How long they hold up though.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
GM-power

I like justin boots, I prefer lace up boots myself. The pair I wear everyday are great! 8 inch western lacer style with a steel toe. I worn out the insoles and purchased some better justin ones. Great boots and mine were made here in the USA. I have a wide foot aswell
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
clinebarger

I wear Justin slip-on work boots, (13 EEE, Deep Scallops, Steel Toe), The absolute BEST advise here is too get "Fitted" for a pair of boots especially if you have wide feet.

It can take 6 weeks for me too get a pair of fitted boots from Justin.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I wear steel toes at work, 13-16 hours a day, and usually walk about 4-6 miles a day while at work (according to my FitBit ). I've tried quite a few different boots. My two favorites are the Redwing 2231 slip on, and the Timberland Pro slip on. For me, the key is to use a good insert. The best I've found, and I use it regardless of the brand of boot, is the Redwing 'Red bed' insoles.

I've tried other Red Wing models and hated them, and I've used WORX, Ariats, and Brahmas from Wal Mart too.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
racecougar

My work reimburses me for one pair of steel toes per year, up to $75. That means I wear the "new" pair (less than 12 months old) five days a week at work, and the "old" pair (1-2 years old) two days a week at the shop. These are what I've used for the past three years (see link below). I'm on my feet and moving nearly all day. The insoles get "tired" after the first year, but the boots are still in good enough shape after two years that I feel a little guilty throwing them out. But hey, if work is paying for a new pair...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
Willie Makeit

once you wear Danner you'll throw rocks at Red Wings. Prepare yourself: they ain't cheap.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
richards72chevy

Any pair of boots will take a couple of weeks to break in.I had a pair of cat boots and they lasted a year before falling apart.When those went out I actually found a pair of red wing pecos at a thrift store for two bucks other than the bottoms going bald they have been a damn good boot.I hate breaking them in and paying the high price for some of these boots.The cats were close 200 but they are a good boot.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
Domer

I'm in the Navy, and spend at least 8 hours a day walking on steel decks. I bought Georgia boots, and 2 days break in, comfortable as can be. White boots are awesome, but spendy..
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #15
68c10airstream

My first check is the inside of the tongue, "made in the usa". Next check is for steel shank for arch support. These 2 requirements sift through about 95% of the boots. Last requirement is a dual density sole. Redwing and thorogood (redwing Minnesota and Merrill Wisconsin) have what I need for at least the last 25 years. Every co-worker that complains of back discomfort asks me about my boots. Once they try them they never go back.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
midnight rambler

I learned this from my days as a motocross racer my leather racing boots was always a pain to break in, one day when I was at my sponsors shop picking up my new gear I complained that I didn't want new boots to hard to break in the old man in the shop told me about neetsfoot oil soaked it in and like magic the leather turned soft . I have used it my whole life and never had a problem breaking in work boots
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
pwdcougar

My dad told me a trick to break in boots from WWII. I pick a day when I'm going to wear the boots all day long then fill them with water. Put on a heavy pair of socks and wear the boots till they are dry. It has always worked!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
GMtrucknut!!

I am on my feet 10-12 hours a day in my work boots . Keen has been my work boot of choice for the last 2 1/2 years . I recommend them to everyone , they are among the best shoes I have used in my last 27 years of wearing steel toes . I also like double H but they are expensive and hard to find .
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #19
midniteblues

Post Re: Comfortable Steel Toes?

I really like timberland pro anti fatigue boots. Very comfy 10hr. Nites 6 days a week.a lil ' heavy for what they are.
I think they are slightly more durable than the redwings (dyna force)boots i have and much shorter break in and WAY more comfy.

My old danners got thrashed in the steel shop.threads got worn and seams opened up.
I had another pair of Danner boots for everday wear(not steel toe)and they were much nicer but i prefer rocky boots for not at work.

Cattapiller steel toe boots i had were very durable and ok comfy wise but the soles wore quick on the rough concrete floors. I still wear them a few times a month.

I also had non toe timberlands and they are a joke more of a "glam boot".....junk.

I grew up wearing doc Martains air wair or chuck taylors.
very good and comfy boots but they have gone down hill in quality recent yrs. And the soft out soles wear too fast on the floors at work also not as durable as the others.

I have a pair of bramadas i wear sometimes once or twice a week. For change up ...For the price wth.

Not ashamed here! when i dont need boots on i wear crocs(summer and allways have wet feet from the hose) or moccasins inside the house.

Yuck a pic of stinky work boots
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.

Last edited by midniteblues; 09-04-2016 at 11:20 PM.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
azle

Any good boot with Birkenstock inserts! The inserts are second to none. I can attest to that with 3 back surgeries. I like the Dr. Martin slip on.

Azle
azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
RWJJR

Thorogood boots, they are ugly as sin, but you wont find a better wearing pair of boots
RWJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #22
StepSide1965

Look up Union boot pro .com Through goods king toe EEE wide USA made...
StepSide1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
donut

I've also been looking for steel toe boots.
My old go to boots were Herman Survivors, but something has changed lately and they're not as comfortable. (maybe my feet? I am getting older.)
They were a relatively in-expensive boot and seemed to balance sole wear and upper wear. If the sole wore out, the upper was soon to go.

Got a pair of Red Wings, felt good wearing them around the store. 4 hours later, not so much. But, because I left the store, reminded of an expensive lesson.

Been looking at combat boots lately. Belleville boot may get tried out...

This thread has given me more options.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #24
dirtyjim

I've always wore wolverine durashocks, ive tried redwing and Justin but always end up going back to wolverine. regardless of the brand I wear out the insoles in 3-4 months and the boots last around a year. my brother buys the Walmart brahma boots and has had good luck with them but on certain surfaces they can be extremely slippery, especially when wet. we were doing a job that had pebbles in the top of the sidewalk between the parking lot and the building, when the sidewalk was wet those Walmart boots were so slippery he had to walk in the grass but my wolverines were solid
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #25
nikwho

I used to wear Redbacks and loved them. I've recently switched over to the Doc Martins slip on 6" steel toe boots. They're pretty comfy! They also have the oil/slip-resistant soles. And about $90, IIRC.

Nik