The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
keithcorcoran

new guy, old truck ('51 3100 Deluxe Panel)

After searching far and wide for a panel that didn't look like a heap and wouldn't break the bank I came across this on Craigslist about 30 minutes from my house. Called the guy and set up a deal. Paid a small deposit and committed to buying it in a few months.

After quite a few marital 'discussions' regarding currently open home improvement projects and the fact I lost my job about a month before seeing the post for sale, this guy was super-great enough to hold it in his garage for almost a year. His reasoning... "it's been there since 1977 so what is another year?"

Picked it up for $2700. Clean title.

Hasn't been run or started since at least '77. He originally purchased it as a project for he and his son who went off to the Marines and so it sat.

Looks like it originally belonged to a well drilling company in Ohio.

Truck has been hastily repainted. Plan on seeing what the original color was. Also, you can see some hand lettering on the rear panels (which is where I made out the 'well drilling' company info).

It needs floor work but the rest is surprisingly solid for a rust belt vehicle.

Aside from what looks like a non-stock radiator (the top of the radiator support/shroud is weld-cut off) it appears to be otherwise unmolested.

I haven't done anything to it yet but tow it home and push it into the garage.

In looking at the wires from the terminal block on the driver's fender it looks like there are quite a few bare wires from deteriorated insulation.

Also he said he started a brake wheel cylinder rebuild that was never completed so that will need to be done.

In all honesty, not entirely sure where to start except for trying to turn it over and get it running while I work on the brakes.

Not necessarily in this order I would like to...
- get it running
- do the brakes
- do patch panels
- drive it
- lower the stance
- work on the exterior cosmetics
- work on the interior
- adjust the barn doors so they don't touch and I don't have to slam them

Not setting out to totally restore it yet. I want to get intimately familiar with it first a little at a time (though for such a large vehicle there doesn't seem to be much there)

Lastly, it came with a spare 6cyl and 3spd tranny which he picked up at a city auction many years ago that I haven't picked up yet.

This has been the truck I've been looking at since I decided to get a panel a couple of years ago so this is likely what I will be aiming for at least initially.

I know that means bagging the truck but if the frame, etc is solid.. I really don't want to hack up the truck.

I saw someone mention in another post that original frames have been bagged but haven't seen ANY posts or info about doing it so for now I'll likely go with whatever non-extreme lowering I can get away with on the cheap.

On the other hand.. if it turns out to be solid/original... maybe I clean it up nice enough to sell and pick up another one that's more along the lines of a street rodded truck. All speculation at this point so we'll see.

-------

Lastly... since my wife has the '05 Yukon Denali all whited out (aka the Stormtrooper).. I think I'm going to call this one Vader.

Last edited by keithcorcoran; 08-23-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: details.
keithcorcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
_Ogre

Re: new guy, old truck ('51 3100 Deluxe Panel)

wow. nice survivor you have there

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
NEWFISHER

LOL Vader! that's a great start. Looks like it originally had the fender spears and the corporal stripes (lower 3 fender moldings).
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
keithcorcoran

yeah I guess that's the 'deluxe' part of it. I have all (or at least most) of the stainless trim in a box in the truck as well as 2 much nicer chrome bumpers and all the emblems. Emblems are a little rusty so going to see what some CLR and a blue pad does to them.

Also have 4 hub caps... 3 are the '41-'46 caps with the blue lines and red swooshes on them and 1 of the '47-'51 with just the chevrolet name.

I like the later plain chevy ones with the trim ring.

Anyone up for a trade?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
keithcorcoran

More info...
Checked the serial number and looks like this one is the 2824th 1950 Chevy 3100 Panel built in Baltimore MD in February of 1950?

So I guess it's a '50 and not a '51. Though I read they titled them in the year they were sold so if this one wasn't sold until '51 then it's really a 1951. Confusing.

Couple more pics of my Flintstone floor and under the hood.

Not too thrilled about the breadbox sized cutout in the dash. I guess I can stick a 10 inch LCD monitor and DVD player in there. haha. Sheesh!

As I said... floors are a little crispy.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
NEWFISHER

I wonder what they had in that huge hole? it looks like the sides are lined with a tin wall?
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
keithcorcoran

Maybe it was a radio rig or something. Considering it was a truck for a drilling company. I dunno for sure.

I'm wondering if this thing had factory dual tail lights given these holes on both sides of the rear of the truck.

Also, not too sure what the bracket is in this pic either. Doesn't look too factory but who knows. Maybe an antenna mount for that big honkin radio in the dash.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I wonder what they had in that huge hole? it looks like the sides are lined with a tin wall?
I'd say that at one time it was a route delivery rig and the hole/compartment was were they kept the sales slips or other paperwork.

Not a bad looking truck even with the rust and hole in the dash Keith. I'd be making clockwork regular trips over with regular payments on that puppy.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
keithcorcoran

@mr48chev - the guy was SUPER great about the whole situation. Knew how much I wanted it and I kept in touch with him. Just had his 70th birthday and heavily involved between florida and international habitat for humanity trips, the truck was fine where it sat he said. He said he was a man of his word so the day I left him $100 and a signed agreement (which I wrote up) committing to buy the truck he had no plans on letting it go to anyone else. I was glad I was up front with the guy about my intent and situation. paid off in the end.

Again, super nice guy.

Right now it's sitting in my garage just waiting for me to finish some home improvement projects and clean the garage so we can fit both beasts in there for the Cleveland winter.

I'm technically not allowed to work on it until I knock out some of these home improvement projects.

Talk about the wife dangling the carrot in front of me. haha.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Ferrofil

Nice solid truck you've got there! Good to see yet another panel saved!
Posted via Mobile Device
Ferrofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Katrina/10

No vent windows, must be a 50?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
av8tr33337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Ditto. Mine is a 51, first year with vent windows and last year for turn down door handles.

Very nice find and a great backstory on how you aquired it. Subscribed.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Russell Ashley

Nice find and story. It looks solid other than a few of the "usual places". That also looks like a later model engine which is a good thing. I like your plan: fix brakes, get it running, drive it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Highsider

Welcome and congrats on getting it home to your garage.

Last edited by Highsider; 08-25-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
keithcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Nice find and story. It looks solid other than a few of the "usual places". That also looks like a later model engine which is a good thing. I like your plan: fix brakes, get it running, drive it.

How can I ID the motor to tell what it is/year it's from?

I also have another motor and trans in storage with the guy but no full info on that other than it came from a city auction.

I was thinking of throwing that one on an engine stand and doing a full rebuild on it but I read somewhere that full rebuilds on these motors will break the bank and aren't really worth it unless you have money to burn.

Lastly, as unlikely as this is now, I'd love to make this my daily driver at some point but don't imagine that happening unless I did a S10 swap.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
keithcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Based on the serial number it was manufactured in Feb of 1950 but I guess it wasn't sold until '51 because that's that the title says.

I was reading that they titled these the year they sold, not necessarily date of manufacture.

I tried to sand some inconspicuous spots today to see if I could uncover the original color but all I got was red primer and metal. I'm certain this isn't a factory paint job so I can only guess they took it down to the metal in the 70s before painting it.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
xpickup

keithcorcoran, good to see another panel on here. It is something that it is a deluxe panel. You do not see many of them and that chrome package is like gold. Looks like a great project.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
keithcorcoran

Gold you say? *muhahahaha*

I'm on the fence about using the trim to be honest. I hate to make it a 'non-deluxe' since it is one but it might not be the look I'm after. I'll have to shoot some satin black onto it at some point and see what I think of the trim on.

If I decide not to use them maybe I can trade the trim off for some solid running boards, new floor pans, some rear fenders (so I don't have to work on those) or a minty visor. That's a ways off though.

Got a couple of folks asking about the trim already. Wish I had an answer for them but I'm just not sure yet. The waiting list is growing though.

I was just checking out your welding on your '48 yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have to do my lower passenger quarter between the door and the wheel like you did (opposite side). Was that a patch panel or just steel?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
xpickup

keithcorcoran, If your panel was mine I would use the trim. That trim against the black would really look good I think. Plus then you will not have to patch up all the holes. If you decide to sell the trim check out the pricing on it because I have seen it go for $2000 for a whole set. As for the panel I made that you talking about, I made it because nobody seems to sell panel/burb stuff from the doors back. I made it in a slip roll. If you need any info just give me a shout. I will be glad to help.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Highsider

$2k...yeah, "that chrome package is like gold" would definitely apply, here.
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Russell Ashley

[QUOTE=keithcorcoran;6238729]How can I ID the motor to tell what it is/year it's from?

I'm not that familiar with Chevy sixes but I am guessing that there's a casting number somewhere on the block that would tell when it was built. Find that casting number and Google it, or someone here on the forum will know.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Ainsy

This may help you find the original color. In the engine bay firewall left and right just above the fenders is a filler panel held on with two or three screws. These were installed after the cab was painted to fill this gap.the original color will be there.
Ainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Ainsy

One other important suggestion would be to replace all brake hard lines...this is often overlooked. I did and learned the hard way that 60 years of vibration can cause hidden issue just waiting to cause a major problem.
Ainsy is offline   Reply With Quote