The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Jered1987

Time and money ratio?

Im just wondering have things really changed like money to cost of living ( food, housing, vehicles etc) ratio from 50s to now
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Time and money ratio?

Just different attitudes I think.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Hard to say. There's a LOT more crap people think they need compared to back in the Fifties. There's no end to the list of stuff we take for granted today that simply didn't exist back then. And yet, we all survived just fine.

As to the basics of food, housing, cars etc, prices seem to have gone up at least tenfold or so. As have wages. On the whole it might be a wash.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
A1971Blazer

The title made me think of another scenario that always plagues me.

If I have the money.....I don't have the time.
If I have the time........I don't have the money.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Hard to say. There's a LOT more crap people think they need compared to back in the Fifties. There's no end to the list of stuff we take for granted today that simply didn't exist back then. And yet, we all survived just fine.

As to the basics of food, housing, cars etc, prices seem to have gone up at least tenfold or so. As have wages. On the whole it might be a wash.
This point I've brought up to others as well, today everyone in the house needs a cell phone, you've got a $200 cable/internet plan, plus we're constantly ordering crap through itunes, amazon, etc; video game systems for the kids with subscription services...

Eliminate all that and I really think we're closer to it being a wash.

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
The title made me think of another scenario that always plagues me.

If I have the money.....I don't have the time.
If I have the time........I don't have the money.
Plus - factor in "inclination" and (for the racers) "weather" and it's amazing anything gets done.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Coley

Smile Re: Time and money ratio?

I would agree with a lot of the points here...but where you live these days, at least with respect to Canada...has a lot of bearing on this.
I'm not sure of the local housing costs where you all live ...but in Vancouver for instance...a 1 bedroom apartment is approx. $1800/mth....some a little more if that are nice or in a good location.
Thats a chunk of after tax dough....

As for priorities....that has certainly changed.
The thinking on self-determination and self-sustaining has historically defined spending priorities as shelter, food, clothing....then after that transportation...then eventually luxury items and perhaps finally travel, etc.

That is not the way today society has been brought up....instead you start with the trimmings and the luxury items...then the last items on the list are housing and food.
That is why from Coast to Coast people's basements have 25 year old living in them....unfortunately. Monkey see, monkey do.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The fact is money does not spend like it used to and pay has not kept pace with the cost of living. The middle class is shrinking as one proof. There are jobs that never existed before that pay proportionately high and the government keeps their pay at pace, but there are more working poor like we never had before. People assume others have what they have. Not every household has $200 cable/internet bills or is addicted to Amazon. When I was in HS a guy could bust his butt and buy a nice new car, I can't see that happening now, even with credit being easier. Apartments that were $125-$150 a month are $1,200+ now. You could afford that apartment on minimum wage. Try paying $1,000 a month when you're making $10hr. Some jobs are paying proportionately higher these days and there is a lot more for us to spend on. But down to bare bones the working man's pay does not spend as well as it used to. That is why it has become an issue. You may not be feeling it at your doorstep, or seeing it next door, but that doesn't mean it's not there for increasingly more people. And they may be struggling next door but you don't know it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-12-2018 at 03:10 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The fact is money does not spend like it used to and pay has not kept pace with the cost of living. The middle class is shrinking as one proof. There are jobs that never existed before that pay proportionately high and the government keeps their pay at pace, but there are more working poor like we never had before. People assume others have what they have. Not every household has $200 cable/internet bills or is addicted to Amazon. When I was in HS a guy could bust his butt and buy a nice new car, I can't see that happening now, even with credit being easier. Apartments that were $125-$150 a month are $1,200+ now. You could afford that apartment on minimum wage. Try paying $1,000 a month when you're making $10hr. Some jobs are paying proportionately higher these days and there is a lot more for us to spend on. But down to bare bones the working man's pay does not spend as well as it used to. That is why it has become an issue. You may not be feeling it at your doorstep, or seeing it next door, but that doesn't mean it's not there for increasingly more people. And they may be struggling next door but you don't know it.
This is most likely the reason a large group of people believe that Social......OOPS!......that may too political...sorry....UH.... ER....I agree Special K...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Stormin08

to much big brother by way of new vehicles...too many mandates, driving the prices sky high.

i have several friends always questioning why i repair my 02 cummins rather than by new...it does have all the fancy items like theirs. Leather is about the only comfort option....but everywhere we go, i get the NICE TRUCK, Sweet Ride comments, and they get nothing, well except hefty repair bills due to increased electronics.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The cost of operating a business has gone up with each new regulation and with the old ones being more enforced... with way larger fines and consequences. This affects what an employer can pay.It seems the regs are based on large businesses who can absorb costs easier. Well, things have come to where it's the big corps surviving and small biz struggles and/or dies. In services and retail, that these huge corps dominate, the pay is behind the times.

Example: Any home built before 1975 is required to have lead sample testing before commencing work that disturbs any area larger than 10 sq' I believe it is... a little bigger than 3' x 3'. Photos and stringent records must be kept, as well as the job being reported to the powers that be. To comply with regs it is ridiculous. I'm supposed to lay plastic down on the roof when I work on the exterior. Ever try to stand on a roof with plastic sheeting on it? I did a four window replacement job. I bid against the contractor that represents Marvin Windows. They had added $400 per window to cover EPA compliance. That's $1,600 just to cover that one regulation. Oh, and the fining starts at $50k IIRC, as if a small business could ever survive that. Not every job is a multi-million dollar gov't contract.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: Time and money ratio?

"....This affects what an employer can pay"

Good point...but not only that, but also what a business can charge in order to pay the people within the business a good positive wage or salary to retain or attract them.

This is then affected by the market of course....supply and demand.
The influx of products made in cheaper economies dominates a lot of purchasing for people so if you want to compete you are handcuffed.

....regardless, many people today do not prioritize their earnings very well...pretty safe to say that.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Red71gmc

The effects discussed on small business create an endless loop that is hard to ever get out of. Small business owners are performing almost all (if not all) task that their businesses require. Many bull crap task created by the regs. On top of that their suppliers are often large corporations that do not service their end as they once did so the small business is servicing both sides.
Instead of the owners performing their strengths and hiring people for other duties they are forced to spend non income producing time on doing it all. They can't afford to pay a competitive wage for qualified people so they are forced to do things way out of their expertise and do it inefficiently.
They end up working long hours for extended times trying to do these duties they are not suited to until eventual burn out happens affecting what they are strong at. Endless loop.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote