The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
hpcgmc

How to remove rear leaf springs without getting hurt?

I'm trying to "undo" the rear leaf springs on my truck so I can see how much I want to lower it. My plan was to unbolt the leafs from the hanger, then lower the frame on a floor jack and see what the truck will look like with 3,4 and 5" drop, then I can decide what to buy. I plan to put it all back together so I can drive the truck while saving up cash to buy the lowering parts.

Here's my problem - I jacked up the frame, with the wheels on the ground. I removed the hanger nut. When I try to remove the hanger bolts, they are pretty tight and seem to be under pressure. Using the floor jack, I've tried to adjust the frame height to where I think it is not supporting the weight of the axle. I'm a little nervous about just pounding the hanger botls out with a flat headed punch, for fear that I'll have a big "bang" from the spring pressure.

Any suggestions on safest or easiest way to do this? This is on my 67 GMC half ton with stock suspension.

EDIT: I jacked up the fram a bit more and it removed the pressure off the springs and allowed the hanger bolts to come out without any "bang". Dropping the leafs all the way to the bed only seemed to lower the truck about 1.5", so it doesn't look like lowering hangers will make much of a difference. I might remove 3 or 4 of the leafs and see how much difference that makes. I've got 8 or 9 leafs on there now!

Last edited by hpcgmc; 06-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.
hpcgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
tommys72

Re: How to remove rear leaf springs without getting hurt?

I didn't figure out the right way, I did it the wrong way and it caused me an 8 inch scar on my forehead that needed 24 stitches on the outside and 17 under my skin....LOL...wrong way
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcgmc View Post
Dropping the leafs all the way to the bed only seemed to lower the truck about 1.5", so it doesn't look like lowering hangers will make much of a difference. I might remove 3 or 4 of the leafs and see how much difference that makes. I've got 8 or 9 leafs on there now!
Doing it that way only lowers half of the spring, so the truck only drops by half the amount of the shakle. A complete kit for this will include front hangers too, making for more drop. Be warned though, replacing these brackets is a lot of work.

Also, be careful about removing leaves from the pack. Not only is releasing them a bit hairy, you can over-do it. Taking out too many leaves can give you axlewrap issues, from the springs becoming too soft.....plus it reduces load capacity.
For safety, be sure to have the spring pack well contained with some large C-clamps. Also, be prepared with some new center bolts. They are not likely to unscrew in the first place, but they sure won't thread up further on the thinner pack. Cut them off and save the headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
hpcgmc

how many leafs should I remove?

I want to lower my 67 GMC 1/2 ton. I looked at an axle flip kit, but that looked like it would lower it about 6". I'm only looking for about 4 or 5" max. So, I unbolted the hangers and dropped the leafs. The axle has 9 leafs! If i remove 4 or 5, I can get 2" drop, maybe more. Plus, I'm thinking a 2" hanger drop - and maybe i''ll be close to what I want for under $100.

I'm attaching some pics - first pic is the right side, with the hanger unbolted, and all 9 leafs in place. Second and third pic are the left side - with the leafs partially taken apart.

I'd like to have at least 750 to 1000lb carrying capacity, since I use my truck to haul a couple dirtbikes on occasion.

How many leafs can I remove and still get decent ride, and decent load capacity? Should I remove the longer leafs or the shorter leafs?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I installed 2" lowering shakles in the rear of my '72 GMC. What a PITA to get them in. If I had to do it over again... I would have just did drop leaf springs instead. I also removed the factory overload spring for another bit of drop. Axle wrap isn't too bad right now... But I'm planning on some custome made 4" drop srpings for it in the future.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Yooper truck

It sounds like you already know this.... but

USE CAUTION!!!!

I thought I was being cautious and nearly had a major injury. When the spring released it grazed my chin... and I thought I was taking precautions.
Yooper truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
hpcgmc

Re: how many leafs should I remove?

Has anyone used a 2" hanger drop? I've heard these sometimes hit the bed. Is it safer to go with a 1.5" hanger drop?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
hpcgmc

which leaf springs should I remove?

I posted in suspension, but didn't get much interest, so I'll try here. My GMC has rear leaf springs. Currently there are 9 leafs. I'm planning on removing some leafs to lower the truck, but still want a decent ride and ability to carry 1000 lbs or so (a couple dirtbikes and gear). I'd like to achieve 4-5" of drop, and don't want to do a notch. I decided against an axle flip since the drop will be 6" or more.

Here's a link to my posting in suspension, with pictures: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582903 - I hope its not against the rules to multi post.

My question is - how many of the 9 leafs should I remove, and which ones? It looks like removing 4 leafs will drop me 1.5"-2". Should I remove the long ones? the short ones? every other one? The top three are clamped together, so I probably will leave those three together.

I'll also be ordering a 1.5 or 2" hanger drop.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: which leaf springs should I remove?

By just removing leaves... I don't think you're going to get the "drop" you want. You will be left with maybe 3 leaves, and your hauling cpacity, and ride quality will suck. Not to mention axle wrap and wheel hop.

I am in the same boat you are. So I am going to have a set of custom leaves made for my '72 GMC that still have the stiffness I want, but have the lowered ride I want. I have a local spring and suspension company close to me that custom makes leaf and coil springs.

You could also do an axle flip kit... where the axle rides on top of the springs, insted of the springs on top of the axle. I think they are good for about 3" of drop.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
SS Tim

Re: which leaf springs should I remove?

Going by the numbers you need the HD springs, it appears you have, to get the GVW (4800 or 5000) to a 1000lbs over curb weight.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Shackles should work fine.
These are 1" or 2" drop.
http://www.performanceonline.com/196...d-Shackle-Kit/

Drop leaf springs are another option.
3", 4" or 5" drop.
http://www.performanceonline.com/196...AF-SPRING-SET/

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
cdowns

a half ton truck has a load capacity of 1000 pounds remove leafs and you r going to have a truck with less than a halfton 1000 pound capacity
so you can dump the bikes or dump the leafs but u really cant have your cake an eat it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Merged this whole mess......

Please don't do this. It is against the rules for a reason, it becomes very confusing for us and you. It keeps all of the information in the same place, easier for the next guy searching....

Copied from the rules:X
IV. Multiple Posting - It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once, or to post it in more than one forum. Choose the forum that your question or post best fits in, and place it there and only there. If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, private message the forum Moderator and ask if they would move it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
67c10rustbuket

I had a 75 C10 that I removed half of the leaves years ago. It came with 8 leaves in the leaf pack and I removed the bottom 4. This gave me almost a 4" drop. You have to remember you are just not dropping the thickness of the leaves but also the amount of load they were supporting. You may need a new center pin depending on what style they used, I dont remember on the 75 it was sooo long ago. Of course use extreme caution when removing any springs. You will probably loose half of the load capacity doing so. Your best bet would be aftermarket drop leaf springs to maintain capacity and get the height you want. What ever you do, be safe

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
gimmy 64

i have a 64 gmc. i got the lowering shackles from ece. i also took out all of the short springs it lowered my truck about 4-5 inches. i did not have a many leafs as you i think it was 7 took out 3. rides fine and i don't carry any thing more than a cooler and some chairs so i don't know how it would do with a load
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
hpcgmc

I finished the project - removed 3 of the rear leafs, and left 6. I also installed 1 1/2" drop shackles. I was told the 2" shackles might hit the bed. I bought the shackles and new U bolts from ECE (super fast shipping!). I bought new pins bolts from Napa and cut them to size. I decided against any teflon or delrin sheathing in between the leafs.

The truck is lowered by about 2 1/4" in the rear, but it looks like more. The rear sits a little lower then the front now. I've got 2" front drop springs from ECE on the way - hoping to install next week.

The truck rides about the same as before - I little bouncy. It's hard to tell if the ride is any better or worse. I haven't put any weight in the bed, but I jumped up and down in the bed (all 150 lbs of me) and it felt normal.

Thanks for all the info and advice. Here are before and after pics.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
hpcgmc

Here is my truck with the lowered rear and the 2" drop springs in the front, that I just installed.
Attached Images