The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
wdz28ss

Moving crossmember forward????

I have been following the drop crosmember thread and I have seen people mention moving the crossmember forward. Well, I have done the crossmember drop and I have 22's on my truck laying frame. Yes, my tires rub the **** out of my firewall. I was thinking about this and I think the real only way to fix this is to notch out the firewall to clearance for the big shoes. Because in theory, right now, at ride height, my wheels are centered in the wheel well. When it airs out, the wheels shift toward the rear. However if I was to move the crossmember forward, and center the wheels when aired out, when it is aired up to ride height, the wheels would be toward the front......I for one would rather it look right when cruising down the road. Is this what everyone talking about moving the crossmember dont care about? Are you looking to look cool when laid out at a show? Or has no one actually moved the crossmember forward and got their fenders on to see this?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
XXL
Señor Member

I think the trick is to split the difference. The trucks look like foo from the side when the wheel is 2" back in the wheel opening. Moving the xmember forward to absorb some of that offset is a good idea. Also, the stock KPI is 4° IIRC... some of the aftermarket control arms are building in a total of 2°. This will reduce the amount of rearward slide you get when you dump the truck.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Got Pics?
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ

Well most ppl would just tub the firewall and leave it at that.
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED KONCEPTZ
only people that like to be like everyone else would "leave it at that" ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
They would be considered "normal" or "average".

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ

Well its better then messing up a frame and ur truck.
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
roj2323

moving the front crossmember forward should in thery be fairly simple but before you go hacking or drilling unbolt the crossmember and slide it forward the 2 in. and clamp it back to the frame. this will give you an oppertunity to test your thery on the clearance issue. turn the wheels all the way to the left and right and if it works then grab your drill but if it doesn't well then just rebolt it in the stock location.

you may in the end waste time but at least you didint waste money.

good luck,
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
In that case, maybe you shouldn't attempt this modification ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #10
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Oh the irony.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
wdz28ss

Just curious as to if anyone actually has done this....seems like somewhere in the dropped crossmember thread, someone had done this... doubtful i will, as tubbin the firewall seems the only way to keep things looking right, however if someone has pictures, this would be interesting to see..
Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 AM   #12
fastbagged68

I moved mine up, but mine is on a 63 suburban. But i moved mine about an inch. I wanted mine not to be so far back when laid out.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #13
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdz28ss
doubtful i will, as tubbin the firewall seems the only way to keep things looking right,
Tubbling the firewall doesn't really make anything "look right." It just provides tire clearance when the wheels "look wrong." Take a side view look at 99% of the very low trucks (including mine until I correct it) and you'll see the wheel sitting too far back in the fender opening. Tubbing won't help this one bit. The solution is to move the centerline forward, which can be done by shifting the entire xmember forward or by offsetting the control arms in some way (like slammed67 did). Same problem exists in the rear but can be corrected by shimming the swingarm mounts back or by sliding the bed forward toward the cab.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Moving the crossmember forward,... means moving the idler arm and the steering box the same amount, (so the pitman arm will work). I'm looking for the same answers. I think slammed67 has the best so far. Also thought of z'ing the frame with an angled cut,... so when the frame goes up, it ALSO goes forward. Just an idea.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
grnddwn
belly dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99
Moving the crossmember forward,... means moving the idler arm and the steering box the same amount, (so the pitman arm will work). I'm looking for the same answers. I think slammed67 has the best so far. Also thought of z'ing the frame with an angled cut,... so when the frame goes up, it ALSO goes forward. Just an idea.
This is a good solution except you'll be making your truck longer so your front clip will be farther away from your cowl. Personally I would just tub the fire wall.
WZD28SS what size tires are you running?
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You are moving the crossmember section of the frame only. One cut behind the crossmember and one in front behind the core support to position the front clip in the same location. (Like a body drop mod.)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:44 PM   #17
wdz28ss

when my truck is at ride height, the tire is centered......so if i was to move the crossmember forward, then at ride height the wheels would be to the front of the wheel opening. re-designing the control arms sounds like a solution, but also sounds like alot of work too!!! .....BTW>> my tires are a 285/35/22
Old 10-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #18
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Quote:
Moving the crossmember forward,... means moving the idler arm and the steering box the same amount, (so the pitman arm will work). I'm looking for the same answers
True. It's not as simple as drilling new holes and moving the crossmember forward. If it were that easy, I would have done it! All you have to do is look at the steering components and you'll see that it wouldn't be an easy modification. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just difficult.

wdz28ss: Do you have some side shots of your truck to show everyone what you are talking about?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99
I've been watching these similar threads & lolife99 hit the nail on the head from the calculations I've measured.

When raising the crossmember section 1.5" w/a 'Z' cut, you'll extend the wheelbase :
a 45° cut = 1.5"
a 48.75° cut = 1.25"
a 56.25° cut = 1.00"
a 60° cut = .75"

Of course you'll need to cut in front of the steering box @ the same angle to keep everything aligned.

Other benefits . . .....
Wouldn't the headers now not hang below the frame (another option for the high HP guys instead of being forced to run 3/4 length headers)??
Wouldn't you gain more distributor & bellhousing clearance??

Now I know it will have some detrimental effects as well . . .....
Less trans tailshaft to floorpan clearance??
Possible interference w/core support & front of the steering box??

I've been measuring & contemplating this plan for a while. Once my new arms arrive from AirRide, I'll swap to my dropped crossmember & bolt up some fenders on my spare cab/frame to get more detailed measurements. Who knows.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #20
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Once my new arms arrive from AirRide, I'll swap to my dropped crossmember & bolt up some fenders on my spare cab/frame to get more detailed measurements.
And post lots of pictures...

So does this mean they're taking orders?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
And post lots of pictures...

So does this mean they're taking orders?
I don't believe so. It was during an inside phone call to AirRides HQ (to harass Tony) that a request was made to send a set un-coated. They said they would go out @ the beginning of this week. I haven't talked w/the guys from the shop today so I don't know if anything arrived or if it was just another stall tactic from AirRide (not that they would intentionally do that).

Hell... we just told them to send 'em w/o even getting a price confirmation. The guys @ the shop told me not to worry.... if I didn't like/want them, they would use them on another truck .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:40 AM   #22
fastbagged68

I didn't have to move my idler arm, just through it away. I stuck in a Rack and Pinion.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #23
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdz28ss
Just curious as to if anyone actually has done this
I haven't done this to a truck, but I moved the crossmember and front suspension forward 2 inches on my 1930 Chevy after lowering it three inches. It didn't look right in the stock position after I lowered it. The extra two inches made a noticable difference in better handling.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote