The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #1
chipflyer

Now you can legally remove the VIN plate!

Well, in Kansas anyway. Wonder how many other states have adopted this?

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...ingForce_DF219

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Now you can legally remove the VIN plate!

That's Great news
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
kwmech

So does that mean there will be manufacturing of the star rivets?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
HotWheelsFan

I like it

Kind of curious how to prevent misuse of the law from chop shops... Hopefully it's in the fine print somewhere.

Now if they will just let us take all that outdated smog equipment off our engines, lol.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
chipflyer

Quote:
Kind of curious how to prevent misuse of the law from chop shops... Hopefully it's in the fine print somewhere.
I wonder too, I was very surprised to see this and didn't realize it was being considered. Kansas has always been very tough when it comes to registering something from out of state. If they saw a missing, tampered with VIN plate or the wrong rivets they would basically treat you as a criminal until you could prove the vehicle wasn't stolen.

I can see this opening up a whole new can of worms.

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
Accelo

"Intentionally removed or altered a VIN, regardless of reason or vehicle model year, were guilty of a felony."

YES pretty harsh penalty.
However, I can't think of any reason to remove a VIN except changing out a complete cab. We used to be able to get the special rivets anywhere. It led to some shady transactions. You can still get them but they are expensive because they now require documentation to purchase them. Overseas suppliers may be different.

I paid extra for my truck to get the frame, VIN and SPID matching. I turned down some very nice restored trucks because they were missing some of the matching identifications.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #7
best view

In nh u always could i dont get the problem
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
jocko

The problem is that it's been illegal in most all states, apparently except new hampshire..
Yes, agree, it is a can o worms and I wish states wouldn't do it. There are easier and smarter ways to manage it without opening it up to the wild wild west.
Note to self: cross-check all VIN tags in KS and NH... (not that I don't already in any state )
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
Joyridin

That is a pretty hefty law. When I brought my truck in from out-of-state, you have to go to the BMV and have the VIN inspected. The guy was looking through the front window. I said "it is on the door jamb". His exact reply was "Oh...somebody must have moved it". He glanced at it and we went in and I got the approval form.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Federal law has always allowed the removal and re -attachment of vins some not all states made it even stricter . Back in the 60s and early 70s it was done at body shops regularly that's one of the reasons it was moved to the dash . Our process was to contact DMV they would send and inspector to document the car or truck . Sometimes they would hold the vin plat till it was fixed sometimes not . Once repairs were made they would come inspect and be there when the vin plate was reattached with either rossette or regular pop rivits . Then a certificate was given to the owner . I did a few .

Federal wording

"There are exceptions to the law, though. It allows a VIN number to be removed in the following cases:

motor vehicle scrap processors or demolishers who are acting in compliance with state law,
anyone who has to remove or alter the VIN to make a repair,
anyone who restores or replaces VIN numbers in accordance with state law, and
the owner of the vehicle, acting under the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, removes or alters an identifying decal or sticker.2
These exceptions do not apply to people who knew that the vehicle was stolen."
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #11
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Federal law has always allowed the removal and re -attachment of vins some not all states made it even stricter . Back in the 60s and early 70s it was done at body shops regularly that's one of the reasons it was moved to the dash . Our process was to contact DMV they would send and inspector to document the car or truck . Sometimes they would hold the vin plat till it was fixed sometimes not . Once repairs were made they would come inspect and be there when the vin plate was reattached with either rossette or regular pop rivits . Then a certificate was given to the owner . I did a few .

Federal wording

"There are exceptions to the law, though. It allows a VIN number to be removed in the following cases:

motor vehicle scrap processors or demolishers who are acting in compliance with state law,
anyone who has to remove or alter the VIN to make a repair,
anyone who restores or replaces VIN numbers in accordance with state law, and
the owner of the vehicle, acting under the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, removes or alters an identifying decal or sticker.2
These exceptions do not apply to people who knew that the vehicle was stolen."
This coming week I hope to put the VIN tag back on my 67 short K10. Took it off to do a nice paint job and right now I am waiting on some rivets I found on ebay in order to do a proper attachment. In 1999 I restored my 72 Custom Deluxe Highland and reattached with pop rivets because i was unaware of the laws. So some day I need to replace those. But no one here in NY has ever mentioned them. I hope to meet up with you some day.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #12
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieb51 View Post
This coming week I hope to put the VIN tag back on my 67 short K10. Took it off to do a nice paint job and right now I am waiting on some rivets I found on ebay in order to do a proper attachment. In 1999 I restored my 72 Custom Deluxe Highland and reattached with pop rivets because i was unaware of the laws. So some day I need to replace those. But no one here in NY has ever mentioned them. I hope to meet up with you some day.
Hopefully this summer .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #13
joedoh

kansas is among the strictest about vins and vin removal. i have known personally of one car crushed because of a misplaced vin and heard several stories of others. there are states that are known for "washing" vins, returning a non highway or salvage title to clean history but kansas is definitely not one of them, dont even try to bring something questionable like that back into kansas. the wording on this law is for restoration, and talks about the reason for removal, which I am sure means they will want full provenance of the change.

I say this from experience with KSHP inspectors, who are notoriously strict and by-the-book, and sometimes writing their own books. that actually happened by the way, they put out a pamphlet about registering antiques that was not in any form part of the laws on inspections. an MVE-1 inspection verifies the placement and history of a vin, but the officers were denying antique registration for motor or suspension changes, pushing people to assembled-vehicle titles which register as the year inspected, not the YOM which is the difference between hundreds of dollars in tax and $18 in tax.

thankfully that law changed last april, you can register an antique with any engine or suspension. also changing this year (I hope) is a house bill that changes the maximum year for bill-of-sale, no inspection titles from 1950 (50 and newer requires MVE-1, 49 and down titles on bill of sale, no MVE-1) to 60 years old (60 years old does not need inspected, 59 years old does). this makes complete sense, because on chevies there is almost no difference between 1949 and 1950 trucks but one requires inspection and the other doesnt.

SO LONG WINDED TOO LONG/ DIDNT READ: document your removal and reinstallation with pictures, keep all your documents showing history. its what you had to do before when a KSHP officer would come out and document the vin in palce before removal and after replacing, but now they wont crush your car if you forget to have it done.

edit: the latest change just uploaded to the website is FIFTY years old and older will not require inspection. so thats right in the meat of this forum, all 67-72 trucks can be transferred on bill of sale. its a little bit of a double edged sword though, if there has been a title in the last 20 years and you attempt title on bill of sale, they will make you go get the signature and title.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 04-03-2022 at 04:39 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:27 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Popped this back up. Looks like Arizona has adopted this too.

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...rs-prosecution

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:07 PM   #15
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
Now I wonder if buying rosette rivets will become legal. I would love to see the price drop down on them. I just bought 10 for $140 and was grateful to get them for three of my restorations.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:40 AM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
Thanks Leon, that's good to know.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:41 AM   #17
70cst10_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
kansas is among the strictest about vins and vin removal. i have known personally of one car crushed because of a misplaced vin and heard several stories of others. there are states that are known for "washing" vins, returning a non highway or salvage title to clean history but kansas is definitely not one of them, dont even try to bring something questionable like that back into kansas. the wording on this law is for restoration, and talks about the reason for removal, which I am sure means they will want full provenance of the change.

I say this from experience with KSHP inspectors, who are notoriously strict and by-the-book, and sometimes writing their own books. that actually happened by the way, they put out a pamphlet about registering antiques that was not in any form part of the laws on inspections. an MVE-1 inspection verifies the placement and history of a vin, but the officers were denying antique registration for motor or suspension changes, pushing people to assembled-vehicle titles which register as the year inspected, not the YOM which is the difference between hundreds of dollars in tax and $18 in tax.

thankfully that law changed last april, you can register an antique with any engine or suspension. also changing this year (I hope) is a house bill that changes the maximum year for bill-of-sale, no inspection titles from 1950 (50 and newer requires MVE-1, 49 and down titles on bill of sale, no MVE-1) to 60 years old (60 years old does not need inspected, 59 years old does). this makes complete sense, because on chevies there is almost no difference between 1949 and 1950 trucks but one requires inspection and the other doesnt.

SO LONG WINDED TOO LONG/ DIDNT READ: document your removal and reinstallation with pictures, keep all your documents showing history. its what you had to do before when a KSHP officer would come out and document the vin in palce before removal and after replacing, but now they wont crush your car if you forget to have it done.

edit: the latest change just uploaded to the website is FIFTY years old and older will not require inspection. so thats right in the meat of this forum, all 67-72 trucks can be transferred on bill of sale. its a little bit of a double edged sword though, if there has been a title in the last 20 years and you attempt title on bill of sale, they will make you go get the signature and title.
On the last part here, can you send me the link on that? I've currently got a 72 Burban and I have the title and bill of sale, do I need an inspection? Be easier if I could just get it tagged. Also, I know my sig states Mo, but I'm from Ks and the Burban is titled to me and my dad.

Thanks!
1972 Chevy Suburban K/10

2019 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Kevin
70cst10_05 is offline   Reply With Quote