The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #51
77ChevySharkBite

Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

I personally dont need any as of yet because I really haven't messed with my trucks doors just yet, but i'll let you know if I need one. Yeah body work is the hardest of them all I can vouch for it, but truthfully when you sit back and look at the job you did all the time it took to do it, it makes it worth while.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #52
JRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
I personally dont need any as of yet because I really haven't messed with my trucks doors just yet, but i'll let you know if I need one. Yeah body work is the hardest of them all I can vouch for it, but truthfully when you sit back and look at the job you did all the time it took to do it, it makes it worth while.
You should line up the doors with the fenders off...ITs much easier
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #53
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
You should line up the doors with the fenders off...ITs much easier
what you mean line up the doors with the fenders?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #54
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

Quote:
It's all a process it was it is and the forum is a place to meet people from around the country and even share a bit of your life with, like I said it's like we're one big family just spread out over the United States haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely! And that is what forums like this are for, to help each other, to gain ideas from the more skilled guys and to show off what it is your doing, even if it is slow at coming along or doing one on a shoestring budget! The point is, how do you build a truck, turning one bolt or screw at a time!

Keep after it and it will happen.
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #55
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
Absolutely! And that is what forums like this are for, to help each other, to gain ideas from the more skilled guys and to show off what it is your doing, even if it is slow at coming along or doing one on a shoestring budget! The point is, how do you build a truck, turning one bolt or screw at a time!

Keep after it and it will happen.
Aint that the truth and for some of us you have to do it multiple times but like truckzilla said when you sit back every time you got frustrated upset pissed whatever emotions you have it'll all be worth it! Don't be afraid to take ideas from people, my way of viewing my truck is that my truck is an expression of myself its something for people to look at and feel like they know me and so that's where the creativity comes in but have fun with!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #56
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

Quote:
Aint that the truth and for some of us you have to do it multiple times but like truckzilla said when you sit back every time you got frustrated upset pissed whatever emotions you have it'll all be worth it! Don't be afraid to take ideas from people, my way of viewing my truck is that my truck is an expression of myself its something for people to look at and feel like they know me and so that's where the creativity comes in but have fun with!
Better said than me!

X2
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #57
JRANGER

Quote:
what you mean line up the doors with the fenders?
I mean if your body lines dont match its much easier to get them straight while the front fenders are off because the hinges are accessible so you can adjust with the door closed basically
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #58
chevybuilder18

Quote:
I mean if your body lines dont match its much easier to get them straight while the front fenders are off because the hinges are accessible so you can adjust with the door closed basically
i wanna take the fenders off, but will in time i got the new battery today, and im getting the U bolts for it, need 3 more, lol i had $20 expecting autozone to have the universal sets of U bolt 'kits' for $20 but that was for two. then they pointed me to nappa where i got one hell of a deal i tell ya(not) my 20 bucks went on one u bolt dont let them fool you
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #59
JRANGER

lol that stinks man
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #60
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Quote:
Better said than me!

X2
Quote:
lol that stinks man
i think its worth it, its better than getting DJMs u Bolts that arent that great, i think these things are super duty.

You guys are helpful and stress relievers. make me wanna take a dive into the truck. next time you see it, itll be slammed and seemless . ill have to get some used front fenders though
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #61
77ChevySharkBite

Sorry for the late response on yours man, but dont rush yourself remember take your time, just remember the simple fact its a project not completed in 1 night takes time.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #62
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Sorry for the late response on yours man, but dont rush yourself remember take your time, just remember the simple fact its a project not completed in 1 night takes time.
i know. cant rush it. if i did rush it. it might be in worse shape then when i found it!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #63
chevybuilder18

OK couldnt resist a quick update. i just got done cleaning the pass side spindle, and painting it with high temp engine enamel, there the DJMs 3 inch drop spindles. i also figured out what went wrong with my alternator. the field exite wire was disconnected due to shortage of wire near the connector for the CS130 alternator im running on the truck. since the battery almost ran dead with out this wire connected, it is putting out 15 volts, and my voltmeter was reading great. gonna start painting my other spindle black same rustoeleum black i just put on this one. tomorrow i get the U bolts so you know what that means
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #64
chevybuilder18

I know its been awhile but i just lowered the truck with my DJM flip kit, and i also know its kinda boring with out the body work that i should be doing. pics of the flip will be coming soon... Also made a huge discovery about my rear end, thought it was a 2.73, but we spun both hubs one turn at the same time to count the pinion rotations. my 12 bolt has 4.11:1 gears, might explain the 5.5 MPG
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #65
JRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
I know its been awhile but i just lowered the truck with my DJM flip kit, and i also know its kinda boring with out the body work that i should be doing. pics of the flip will be coming soon... Also made a huge discovery about my rear end, thought it was a 2.73, but we spun both hubs one turn at the same time to count the pinion rotations. my 12 bolt has 4.11:1 gears, might explain the 5.5 MPG

I dont even want to know what gears are in my truck
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
77ChevySharkBite

Haha well that's a good find haha, yeah I believe I have 3.40's in mine which is fine for now thinking of some 3.73 for the future since I am doing a complete drivetrain swap. Take some pics so we can see what it looks like being dropped man!! Don't worry about it being dropped and no body work done it's a project truck so it's one step at a time man.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
truckzilla

Yeah, mine has 4.11s in it which helps explain why it ran reasonably well with the 305 it had. Still not sure if I'm keeping it at that or going with a 3.73 change.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #68
chevybuilder18

Quote:
I dont even want to know what gears are in my truck
lol maybe reasonable gears like shark bites
Quote:
Haha well that's a good find haha, yeah I believe I have 3.40's in mine which is fine for now thinking of some 3.73 for the future since I am doing a complete drivetrain swap. Take some pics so we can see what it looks like being dropped man!! Don't worry about it being dropped and no body work done it's a project truck so it's one step at a time man.
Posted via Mobile Device
those 3 and a halfs are my true desire, get good gas milege, and great take off. id stick a locker on those and keep em

Quote:
Yeah, mine has 4.11s in it which helps explain why it ran reasonably well with the 305 it had. Still not sure if I'm keeping it at that or going with a 3.73 change.
im gonna keep em. the truck runs good around town which i do alot, if you think about it, im not really using gas because at 30 mph im in 3rd gear alot, so that might be a plus around town i just idle through but if i do get serious about working in different towns i might just do an over drive swap, we already know i might get eatons limited slip or the detroit locker setup. wish richmond made the truck 12 bolt loc rite

Also another update. the photos are being delayed due to my neglection to have my phone on me or have someone else send the photos to mine. my phone has constant life support due to a bad battery that wont take a charge, and its getting old! Thank god my brother in law is helping me. we got a spring compressor and ready to trim some springs. but we had a bad night it was raining and the spring compressor we rented wasnt really agreeing with us
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
77ChevySharkBite

Well being as mine is going to be more of a show truck not going to be too worried about my mpg but I've heard 3.73 is a pretty good set of gears to get, do that's what I'm most likely going to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
chevybuilder18

Update from the last week. Ive been slaving hard and the end result is to do for sorry i havent been on, or anything but i got a few photos that might explain why i havent been
used ramps in place of jack stands cause i didnt have jack stands. It did quite well
the U bolts i ordered came in, and they are 87 and up.
They dont wrap around the axle snug, but very hardcore pieces i believe. I didnt torque em to factory specs, i torqued em on till i could turn em no more with a 3 foot cheater bar, thats alot of torque especially for me, thats near 130 psi or so on each nut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by chevybuilder18; 12-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #71
chevybuilder18

And i present, the newly sought after quicksilver is starting to take shape
Posted via Mobile Device check out the last photo. Notice im crouching to take a photo of the rear wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by chevybuilder18; 12-18-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: needed to add photo
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #72
77ChevySharkBite

very very nice work my friend, good progress coming along keep it up man!!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #73
JRANGER

looking good
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #74
chevybuilder18

next is getting the bed bolted down and this spring ill get some body pieces for it off craigslist, im on a craigslist budget. hey 77sharkbite, i like your step side fenders because the fuel door, mines just a cap its 70s style, yours got the integrated fuel door and i like it. what years did those come on?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #75
chevybuilder18

Quote:
very very nice work my friend, good progress coming along keep it up man!!
Quote:
looking good
thank you both, its gonna be some time till i update this, ill probably do some odds and ends that define the whole sha-bang details count