The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #76
77ChevySharkBite

Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
next is getting the bed bolted down and this spring ill get some body pieces for it off craigslist, im on a craigslist budget. hey 77sharkbite, i like your step side fenders because the fuel door, mines just a cap its 70s style, yours got the integrated fuel door and i like it. what years did those come on?
I don't have fuel doors man, there just gas caps that's all what might make it look like it's a fuel door is because it's flush with the fenders.
Posted via Mobile Device

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #77
truckzilla

I see that you have the light weight, racing style bed with low wind resistance!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #78
355bullet

Quote:
Update from the last week. Ive been slaving hard and the end result is to do for sorry i havent been on, or anything but i got a few photos that might explain why i havent been
used ramps in place of jack stands cause i didnt have jack stands. It did quite well
the U bolts i ordered came in, and they are 87 and up.
They dont wrap around the axle snug, but very hardcore pieces i believe. I didnt torque em to factory specs, i torqued em on till i could turn em no more with a 3 foot cheater bar, thats alot of torque especially for me, thats near 130 psi or so on each nut.
Posted via Mobile Device
looking good man!
Here is a link that might help you with the wood and hardware.
http://www.classicparts.com/
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #79
77ChevySharkBite

chevybuilder18 I forgot I don't have a step side man, mine is a fleet side.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #80
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
chevybuilder18 I forgot I don't have a step side man, mine is a fleet side.
o i see. well it looks like a stepside
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #81
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355bullet View Post
looking good man!
Here is a link that might help you with the wood and hardware.
http://www.classicparts.com/
thanks man! those bed hole LEDs would fit in the curl overs on my bed. im thinking of replacing the bed floor with wood kit like you suggested, and the straps but im not sure on color, thinking of paint instead of a finish on the wood, painting it neon green on the wood, with john deere blizt black (satin) on the straps. liking that look, especially the way it made cubbers 383 engine look with gloss black, imagine it with satin. Oh god i just cant get over the look of how green and black go well together
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #82
chevybuilder18

UPDATE! THANKS FOR REPLYING EVERYONE! Remember how i said itd be awhile before i updated this again? well i lied sorta. i didnt know my brother inlaw would be paying me the money for the 400 sbc project and pieces for it, got me LS1 5.3 liter to pick up tomorrow! Im Exstactic! my brother inlaw is also giving me a 4L80E out of a 2001 2500 van that has been totalled, for helping him rip it apart i get driveshaft, throttle cables, he got it all for a steal for $350 im also getting wiring harness from the salvage yard with the engine, accersory brackets and starter. ill also grab the ABS unit and proportioning valves, im not taking anything really serious like axles though.

maybe i can keep this updated but we can still chat while im ripping apart this van
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #83
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
I see that you have the light weight, racing style bed with low wind resistance!
yes better gas milege and take off that way!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #84
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
UPDATE! THANKS FOR REPLYING EVERYONE! Remember how i said itd be awhile before i updated this again? well i lied sorta. i didnt know my brother inlaw would be paying me the money for the 400 sbc project and pieces for it, got me LS1 5.3 liter to pick up tomorrow! Im Exstactic! my brother inlaw is also giving me a 4L80E out of a 2001 2500 van that has been totalled, for helping him rip it apart i get driveshaft, throttle cables, he got it all for a steal for $350 im also getting wiring harness from the salvage yard with the engine, accersory brackets and starter. ill also grab the ABS unit and proportioning valves, im not taking anything really serious like axles though.

maybe i can keep this updated but we can still chat while im ripping apart this van
sounds suuuuuuhwwwwweeeeeet!!!!!!! Glad to know you got an engine and stuff sooner than you thought. Keep us updated take pictures of the van your going to take apart too.

So what's your plan with the motor dont know if we've discussed that before?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #85
JRANGER

Hey Jealousy!!!! What does it have in it now? lol
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #86
chevybuilder18

Unhappy Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

Quote:
sounds suuuuuuhwwwwweeeeeet!!!!!!! Glad to know you got an engine and stuff sooner than you thought. Keep us updated take pictures of the van your going to take apart too.

So what's your plan with the motor dont know if we've discussed that before?
didnt get pictures yet of the van. its a GMC cargo van that does have the 4l80e in it. dangit my truck broke down in another town where i suppose to pick the engine up, they still had it but didnt have the wiring harness, accesorys... i had to change a starter in a cold parking lot. oh yea merry christmas. on chrismas night or the early morning after (today) i poked my eye with a flat tip screw driver,, talk about the pain the surgery took to seal my eye globe up. the trannys still in the van/ attempted to grab the engine 5 times over the holidays, but they were closed due to storms and other stuff. i just got the engine today as i mentioned earlier in the post. the 5.3 liter was a steal, had to have my close family pick it up for me earler. $250 bucks well spent but took to long to get it since it now doesnt have the starter, wiring harness, and the good stuff. they just hacked it and gave it to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Hey Jealousy!!!! What does it have in it now? lol
right now it has the 350 stilll in it, intil i can type right again i dont think ill be able to do anything it sucks. the van had a vortec 350 in it, took Mass air flow and grabed the pcm out of it as well with wiring harness. still getting the tranny but its not gonna be me pulling it. sorry for not responding earlier hopefully my eye heals fine
Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #87
JRANGER

Wow, Hope you get better soon bro!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #88
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah man take care of yourself!! But again congrats on the buy, might suck to have to get certain things but at least you got your tranny and motor you want that's what counts!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #89
chevybuilder18

Thanks alot guys. really looking forward to having these nice pieces sit in the truck by January. still need a wiring harness... il post a pic of the engine tomorrow, my brother in law has it at his bros house sitting till i find a place to set it without it getting the block cracked. i wander what you guys have gotten done
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #90
chevybuilder18

did some research and my engine isnt a LS1. Its the 5300 vortec engine. only difference is the LS is all aluminum, and mines all iron except the cylinder heads.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #91
chevybuilder18

some more pics of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #92
JRANGER

looks pretty nice
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #93
77ChevySharkBite

very nice! looks like a good powerplant to use if you ask me.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #94
chevybuilder18

your telling me! i either have the 5300 vortec with flat tops and a compression ratio of 10 to 1 or one with dish pistons with 9.0:1 which i dont mind since in the future ill be running a turbo charger. Idk bout you guys but those look like aluminum cylinder heads and im truely stoked
tomorrow im going to pick up a computer for a 6.0 liter, AOD and its for $50. im gonna pull a smart one and make my own harness. those guys better have the plug ins for the computer other wise im going somewhere else!

Last edited by chevybuilder18; 01-03-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #95
77ChevySharkBite

That they do man!! Good luck man coming along great, slow and steady wins the race, although if your a guy slow isn't exactly in our dictionary of words because we love speed. But sounds awesome man keep us updated!!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #96
truckzilla

You're going to be amazed at what that 5.3 can do! And man, I hope that eye heals up and gets back to normal!

Two words: Safety glasses!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #97
JRANGER

^^^^ Yup....I got shards of metal in my eye last DEC 2011...Wear safety glasses constantly now
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #98
chevybuilder18

Quote:
That they do man!! Good luck man coming along great, slow and steady wins the race, although if your a guy slow isn't exactly in our dictionary of words because we love speed. But sounds awesome man keep us updated!!
Lol hey guess what, got an update. i pulled the 5.7 liters wiring harness from the van. the trans is out and says 4l80E right on the passenger side with turbohydramatic stamped over that also into the casting. it looks as long as my long tail th350 and will be a direct fit. all i need to do is get the yoke off the old drive shaft and switch em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
You're going to be amazed at what that 5.3 can do! And man, I hope that eye heals up and gets back to normal!
lol thanks
Two words: Safety glasses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
^^^^ Yup....I got shards of metal in my eye last DEC 2011...Wear safety glasses constantly now
yea ive been setting examples lol
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #99
77ChevySharkBite

Nice good news to hear, I got to find a shorter drive shaft for when I drop mine. But sounds very very nice, for sure now doubt man safety first, I don't mean this in a bad way but I'm on a safety team and I'm going to school to be a safety manager, so please be safe man!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #100
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Nice good news to hear, I got to find a shorter drive shaft for when I drop mine. But sounds very very nice, for sure now doubt man safety first, I don't mean this in a bad way but I'm on a safety team and I'm going to school to be a safety manager, so please be safe man!
Posted via Mobile Device
haha yea im normally telling people around me to watch out for this and watch out for that. I was taught safety first in school, and i pounded it in my own head. Just gotta be more organized next time so i know where this guy stores his safety glasses. And speaking about drive shafts. Take a peak at your tail housing on your TH350. If its a 9 inch long tail shaft like mine, you shouldnt have to worry about switching drive shafts, just the yokes which the U joints are easy. Only thing i have to do with my truck is mover the crossmember back to where they put extra bolt holes in the frame for the TH400s or other types of trannys. pretty versitile.
One other thing i forgot to mention. I just seen the transmission earlier and the torque convertor had six bolts. Freaky set up but i like it
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by chevybuilder18; 01-06-2013 at 09:27 AM.