The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Mid-project doldrums

I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat as me. All gungho at the beginning of a project, but then life gets in the way. Suddenly it's 4 years later and your truck has either been pushed outside or is buried under boxes. I can't seem to get started on mine again.

Those of you that have successfully gotten back rolling on your projects, PLEASE share some tips. Thanks

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: Mid-project doldrums

Here's the thing sometimes you just don't love it anymore and would rather be doing something else.
You need to decide if you still have passion for the project, if not then get rid of it and do something else but if you still love it then take stock and start on something small that needs to be done and go from there.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Here's the thing sometimes you just don't love it anymore and would rather be doing something else.
You need to decide if you still have passion for the project, if not then get rid of it and do something else but if you still love it then take stock and start on something small that needs to be done and go from there.
I love the idea of what it's gonna be.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I went through this while my rig was in paint prison. I'm looking down the barrel at year 6 of my build and I can't believe it's taken me this long. I went through quite a few spells like this, most of the time because it seemed like every time I tried to do/fix something it either fought me the entire way or I discovered an even bigger problem. Just get back on it if you really want to keep it and try and stick to your original plan. I wasted a lot of money changing my mind on stuff because sometimes my only motivation was buying new parts.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
ryanroo

I like to cut mine into little slices. Make a list of things that need done on one system and attack that. After sitting back for a while it always looks like so much work left to do so it's less overwhelming if I just look at little tasks. I also try to make myself do at least one thing productive on it every day I am around the house. Even one step forward is progress. I also don't sweat the time it takes. As long as I'm getting something done the way I want it I view it as a success.

The only way to get over the slumps us to pick up the tools and dig in! I'm sneaking up on four years under construction and some times it feels like a never ending thing.

I also made a rule that things don't get stacked on the truck. If it's not truck parts it doesn't go on the truck. If I have parts laying around it means I need to use them and that helps too.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
dirtywrencher

I know exactly what you mean. I started getting my dads c/20 up and going as a father son project but at the time I really wanted a k/20. Rebuilt the motor, trans, rewired the truck front to back, and spent a week trying to get the darn thing started. Never did get it to run. Now 5 years later I've just now started gathering little things here and there to start back up on the project. This forum helps as far as motivation for me. Kinda puts in to perspective that these trucks really aren't that complicated.
My biggest problem is I go out to look at it from time to time and I notice it needs something else done to it. I have decided on not doing anything until I can get that motor going.
dirtywrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
Advanced Design

Go to some car shows or cruise ins. Take a ride in a friends truck. Go help a buddy for awhile on their project. Look at finished vehicles that match what you have in mind for yours. Have some event you REALLY want to take your truck to and work hard to make the goal. Have a buddy help with the build motivation. Celebrate the little wins. All these activities have helped me in the past.

And sometimes you just fall out of love with a project..no passion for it. If so, may be time to move on.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote