The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Blue67

more power steering BS 67 C10

I sent my used steering ram to a machine shop that specializes in them and after 3 weeks they called and told me he can not rebuild it. I have two options as I see it. Can I just remove all the PS components and have manual steering? The second option is to up grade to a newer system. I looked at my frame and it has the dimples so I think a newer gearbox will bolt to the frame. What else would I need to get. I searched the threads and found some info but I want to be sure. Can I reuse my PS pump and pitman arm? It looks like I will need a different center link also but can is there a year out there that I can get and not have to change the tierod ends actually I may need to replace them any way now that I think about it. I also saw info on swapping out the whole front suspension.
Blue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
walker

Yes, you can just remove it and have manal steering. You can also change over to a later model, up through mid 80's I think, power steering box. Somewhere near '80 the threads changed to metric on the gear boxes, so be sure your hoses, bolts, etc fit before tightening the threads.The later year boxes have close ratio gears. I would just get the pump with the gear box at the wrecking yard. I think you can reuse your pump, but the hoses are different. I think you need to use the steering arm from the new box, and the center link too.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote