The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
truckintexas

Cool Coil to leaf conversion

Does anyone know if a coil spring 67 swb frame can be converted to leaf spring. I think I heard somewhere that the frame width behind the rear axle is narrower on coil spring frames than it is on leaf spring frames.

Thanks
truckintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
SCOTI

Yes it can be converted. I have a 67 leaf frame in my driveway & it matches the rear frame clip of my trailing arm/coil spring truck.

The main difference is the leaf frame has different brackets (obviously) but also has special 'beads' on the frame rails that co-incide w/the brackets for more overall strength (similar to bead rolling aluminum panels in race cars for strength).

Welcome to the board.... where in TX. are you?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
truckintexas

Bigger task than I thought.

I'm in Fort Worth. Not quite sure how to locate the brackets. I need to take some measurements on an existing swb leaf spring frame.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

Question

my first question is, why do you want to convert? lifting the truck? need more load handling? im curious!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
SCOTI

I agree.... why do you want to swap?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
truckintexas

I don't need lift. In fact I am going to install lowering shackles. I was told but a guy that has been building these trucks for 20+ years that the leaf spring rear end would provide a more stable and comfortable ride. And that it wouldn't lean on corners as bad.

Plus I was switching from 6 to 5 lung and came across the leaf spring setup cheap.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
SCOTI

Well.... I have one of each suspension set-up & I like the way the trailing arm rides better. I also feel it articulates better so it handles better.

Both of mine are dropped @ least 6" so something a little less radical could be different. My 68 has the trailing arms & my 74 has leafs. Everything else about the suspensions is pretty similar.

I pull an 18ft steel car hauler w/my 68 & it pulls fine, w/o sway or lean.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
truckintexas

Is your leaf spring setup a SWB. If so, can you post some pictures of how the brackets connect??

Also, I'm not dropping as much as you, so I don't know if that will affect it. I think I am too far into this rear end ($$$$) to turn back now. I switch it back if I don't like it. FROM THE NEW GUY, thanks for the help.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

I'm sorry, whomever told you that leaf spring would ride better than coils is completely wrong. Leafs can be made to ride somewhat better, but the primary reason leafs are used in trucks is for load, and they're cheap.

you don't see luxury cars with leaf springs.......coils or air bags will ride better. stick with your coil set-up or modify to bags, you'll be happier.

(just my 2 cents)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold

Last edited by ShamrockCustoms; 07-23-2004 at 06:35 PM.
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
MOTHERTRUCKERS

I have switched 3 customers trucks from leaf to coil lately and if you really want to switch i'll set you up with all the parts you need hangers,crossmembers frame plates and 1 month old springs and factory rivets for about 100.00 + shipping and will throw in the indexing specification sheets for leaf spring 1/2 ton 67-72 trucks. But in all honesty you will not like the ride or handling. Drag racers and NASCAR are running these trailing arm/coil setups with only spring,shock and panhard bar changes. 3 or so years ago Home Depot had the Dewalt race car here in Bradenton on display and I asked if I could peek underneath the cars rear end and guess what? I measured the trailing arm on it and on my truck and found a 1/4 inch difference in length overall due to a concentric front bushing used to set the tracking, He said no way and called back to the chassie shop and they told him it was a chevy truck design taken from an earlier year truck. I got a 100.00 gift certificate from Dewalt and he kept muttering to himself.