The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
>X<
registered IWATA user

some quick questions about 'shop

is there a tool that i can use to cut out a truck but automatically cuts on a line? in Picture it Publishing there is a line cut tool that automatically outlines by color, shape, etc. i ahve played with photoshop for a few hours and couldnt find a tool like this.

second, i have 7.0 on my desktop and laptop, recently the desktop icon for 'shop gained a blue flag thing that says "PSD" what the hell does this mean? also its like the program uploaded new stuff or something because the desktop 'shop now has a "magnetic lasso tool" but the one on my laptop just has the old one. ?????????

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

That blue flag you are referring to is the designation icon for a Photoshop file. I believe it stands for "Photo Shop Data". That sounds to me like it's a file that has been saved to your desktop and not an icon to launch Photoshop. Although it will launch Photoshop but that file will automaticaly be open.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles

Last edited by Zumo; 09-20-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

On the "magnetic lasso tool" icon, put your pointer over it and a pop up should read: "magnetic lasso tool" , well you should have a small black corner on the bottom righthand side of that icon. If you click down and hold you should get a drop down with 3 different lasso options, see picture below. Anytime you see that black corner that means there are more options for that tool.

If you are looking for a good book to help you out check out http://www.adobepress.com/title/0321115627 I took a class on Illustrator and these are the books they used to teach from.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles

Last edited by Zumo; 10-04-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

With the "Magic Wand Tool", you can select contiguous or non-contiguous colors within a specified value range. It is right next to the lasso tool (hidden under the pop out pallet in Zumo's screen capture.)
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

there are tons of way to cut around a picture in ps but i cant think of a single way that anything will automatically find the perfect line of what you want to cut out...if thats what your asking for that is. pictures have too many variables for a tool to be able to see what your eye sees. personally i use the pen tool almost all the time. i blow image up till just before it becomes too pixelated and i just click along the lines i want....sometimes you have to mess with the contrast of the image before you cut around it but once your happy with your path you can always put the image back to where you want it...i dunno if that is any help at all...there are a ton of free photoshop tutorials online...i bet i have 25 books on photoshop and i get photoshop user magazine...although at times you sure couldnt tell ive read any of em =)
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
>X<
registered IWATA user

thanks for the replies, as yall can see i am new to this program. i have the adobe book but havent really read over it yet.

thats kinda messed up-that free with purchase of computer Picture it Publishing has a better tool than $700 'shop

Old 09-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
Swartzhund

stuff

photoshop has both the magic wand and magnetic lasso. its not that photoshop don't offer automatic features. they just don't work as well as a good eye and steady hand......in any program.
Swartzhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Generally, I will make a path rather than use the lasso or wand too. That way, you have the path to re-use if needed. Also, layers are great and will save you a lot of pain and extra work once you learn how to use them.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
>X<
registered IWATA user

is this a sticky for a reason? or is it just a mistake?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
>X<
registered IWATA user

so is there a mod for this forum? hellllllooooo moderatoooor, un-stickkkkkeeeeeeyyyy thiiiiiissss pooooosssst

Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
RRed67

I work in photoshop for a living,and there is several diffrent ways to make a selection on what you need.....first of all you can use a path...(pen tool) second you can use what they call a quick mask (brush tool).... Magic wand...... and if your trying to make a selection around a color they have color range........you can also duplicate channels and edit your colors that way....
If you make a selection around something you can always save that selection (in which it will become a channel) in case you ever wanted to go back and edit that area....
In my years in working in photoshop we always save a layered file and then we will flatten and then you can save your eps,jpg, or whatever so you can print.....that way you can always go back and do edits or change colors, save selections ,duped channels etc..etc.... I work in the advertising industry and we always have multiple layerd files in case the client changes their mind and wants to go back ......I'm talking 1 or 2 gig files...........if you guys or gals have any ?????'s I'll be glad to help out where I can. I'm no photoshop expert or anything but I do no my way around and don't mind sharing , and don't mind learning some too..... oh yea Happy Halloween
RRed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

No problem un-sticking it. I didn't do it in the first place, so I didn't know it needed to be undone..........sorry.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:12 PM   #13
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
No problem un-sticking it. I didn't do it in the first place, so I didn't know it needed to be undone..........sorry.
I stuck it, and feel it needs to stay stuck as there is alot of valuable info in this thread.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

No problem..........I thought I was losing my mind though when it got sticky again
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote