The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

'83 K5 Blazer, 4" lift, big tires, 6.2 $600

Hey guys. I'm a little angry at my truck and decided I'm going to try and sell it and get something a little smaller. 4x4 is fun, but I think I want something that handles better and accelerates faster. And a manual. Probably going to go back to a 67-72 or an S10 and drop the northstar sitting in my garage in it...decisions decisions.

Truck is an '83 K5. Body is ugly and needs some rust/dent repair. I'll throw in a pair of rocker panels and a floor section I had purchased to do some repair. The back "bed" area that is common to rust out has been replaced with 1/8" sheet metal and reinforced, so it isn't going to rust out anytime soon. Will also need to have the rear front floor repaired because the corners are going out (behind the front seats). I can tell you where to get those. Front fenders, doors, and about 1' behind doors have dents/dings in them. Black and grey with a black top, 4 headlight style front end. Power locks and rear window. Manual windows. CD deck and aftermarket speakers in the front lower doors, removable boxes in the rear. A few spots of thru rust on the tailgate. Power window works good. Has A/C but needs a new clutch on the compressor to work. Rear taillights have been smoked black and LED taillights installed to replace the regular lights. Alternator upgraded to 105 Amp 1-wire internally regulated from a newer suburban. Grant GT Aftermarket steering wheel. Chrome modification to the dash (makes much easier to read at night). Tilt column.

Truck is lifted 4" with a Dick Cepec suspension lift, and rides on 33x12.5" BFGoodrich tires. Shocks are all red and white ranchos, and the front driveshaft and steering stabilizer are both new. 3.73 gears, GM Corporate 10 bolt rear, dana front. NP208 and 700r4 behind a 6.2L (379 CI) diesel. Dual exhaust, new gas tank, new fuel filters. Tires are on stock 6-lug ralleys. Matching spare included. Currently has mechanical auto-engaging hubs (that work) but another board member here has a pair of warn manual hubs that he said he would sell me for $30, I'll include those if the buyer wants.

The body isn't in great shape but the frame and running gear is all there. This truck gets awesome mileage - around 20 doing 70-75 on the highway, over that on extended 55 MPH driving. 4WD works wonderfully and engages easily. Mechanical hubs work fine but could be swapped out with manuals for more durability and slightly better mileage. 128xxx miles. 6.2 Diesel runs but suffers from the common head crack/head gasket failure (one of the two) and consumes about 1/2 gallon of water for every 150 miles. For another $300 I'll do the swap to a pair of 6.5 diesel heads which don't suffer from that problem and have slightly more power. I'll also include some parts I purchased for this truck, including a "J" code single plane intake (no EGR) and an ISSPRO pyrometer.

Reason I'm selling the truck is because I need something smaller for frequent commutes between college and home (about a 250 mile trek). Mileage isn't a concern with this truck, probably could get better if you kept the top on (I never have it on) or got a tonneau cover from a place like STC. Otherwise it would make a great set of parts to throw on another truck of similar vintage. Will drive anywhere so long as you don't run it out of coolant.

$700 which is almost exactly what I've got in the truck not including my labor. $300 more ($1000) will get you newer heads and a fix for the heads so it stops using coolant. $150 more will get you a nice rebuildable 350 if you want to swap out the diesel for a gasser. Truck is currently located in Ames IA but I'll deliver for free to within 100 miles of Ames, IA, Delano MN or anywhere in between off of 35W. botboy60 (at) hot mail dot com. I'll even throw in a 1-yr membership to thedieselpage.com and forums which cost me $25.

Last edited by botboy; 09-21-2004 at 04:07 AM.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote