The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
tjhooker125

Oil Leak out of Crankshaft Pulley

I was looking at a '52 3100 for sale today. Someone had put a 235 six in it, in place of the original 216. There is a funny spot for an oil leakwhle and after the engine runs. It comes out of the front of the crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer, right out of the center hole where the old manual hand crank goes in. Anyone know anything about this? The fellow selling it said that it just needs some type of plug/ washer/ gasket item changed? Unfortunately I don't have a manual for it nor do I know what year the engine is.

Thanks guys, TJ
tjhooker125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Somethings not right, oil should not be able to come out the snout like that. The crankshaft to balancer should fit tight enough that oil won't leak. There is a woodruff key that fits into a slot cut in the balancer. Sounds like either the key is missing or someone has filed out the slot.

From what you said, I would have a hard time believing anything this guy says. But I'm not there to hear him, either.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
tjhooker125

Well Fred T, thanks for the response. I did a little research and confirmed what you said. I told the seller about it and convinced him that's how it's supposed to be. I'll be picking the truck up next week, for what I offered him.

Thanks again,

TJ
tjhooker125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Unless someone has drilled the crank snout, there is not a bolt hole on the 235 crank. One thing I just thought of trying is to see if there is a key. Take a piece of thin wire and try running it in the slot. The way the engine is in the truck, you can't look to see, you'll have to go by feel. I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker, but use it to knock a few bucks off the price. The repair takes quite a bit of time, but not much money if the balancer is okay.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote