The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Panelrodder

Panel Truck rear body mounts

Hey all. I'm back to the blessed AD trucks! I had a slight folie and commited adultry with the 60-66 trucks but I've since recovered from my blindness and returned! Anyway, I'm getting back into my 53 GMC panel project and there is a question that is lingering since I started the project. The body mounts for the rear of panels. Any body have photos? My frame was modified by the p.o. and they seem to have forgotten to put them back on! Any help would be nice since I don't want my body flopping all over as I drive!
www.brigham.net/~jacobh/barndoors/index.htm
Panelrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

I'll have to look back through some old pics. I was just looking on my site and there's one that kinda shows one of the blocks but, not very well.
I'll see if I have anything.
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Panelrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3100 special
I'll have to look back through some old pics. I was just looking on my site and there's one that kinda shows one of the blocks but, not very well.
I'll see if I have anything.

Thanks so much. I was begining to think that no one could understand my ramblings! Anything would be of use at this point. I am about ready to just develop something from scratch!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

basicly the bodies are bolted in 3 spots (not including where its bolted down through the wood floor), they are at the front of the cab down by ur feet on both sides, then there's a pair rite behind the front seats, then the last pair is at the rear doors on the sill.the front one are bolted to bracket attached to the frame the rest are bolt through the frame. here's where they are on my 48 chevy so i would bet they ar the same. if ur wondering where on the wood floor they are mounted just look up under the floor & u'll see the bolts running down through the floor & all the way through the frame, about every 2 feet, i believe..joe
Attached Images

Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE

Last edited by TooMany2count; 07-18-2005 at 11:58 PM. Reason: once upon a time long ago in the land of make believe, there was this young man that abused his body & 2day he does forget things at times. just like i just did, so i had to edit my post. the end
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Your right, Joe. I couldn't find any old pics but, my body is still on the frame and I can snap some new images tomorrow and attach to the thread. Left my camera at work today.
I come out to Utah every once in a while for work. I fly into SLC and drive over to Altamont. Looking up Logan, it looks like up about 4 hours north?
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
Old 07-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Panelrodder

Quote:
Your right, Joe. I couldn't find any old pics but, my body is still on the frame and I can snap some new images tomorrow and attach to the thread. Left my camera at work today.
I come out to Utah every once in a while for work. I fly into SLC and drive over to Altamont. Looking up Logan, it looks like up about 4 hours north?
If you are going to take some new pictures could you take some of the actual mounts at the back of the body, basically the frame side of what is shown in the pictures above? That is what I need to see. Are there actual seperate mounts or do the bolts shown just go right through the frame rails and bold on the underside. Like i mentioned in my original post, the frame was modified a lot by the po, previous owner, so since no holes were obvious anyware in the frame and the fact that the holes in the body, from photos above, don't even line up with the rails when sat centered on the frame, I suspect that he narrowed it a bit, I'm at a loss. I bought my truck they way a child buys a Mr. Potato head.... a body, frame, and a bucket of parts!!! Translate that to mean that the body wasn't on the frame let alone bolted down and it took two trips with a car hauler trailer to bring it home! Thanks for all the help so far. It seems that I more than likely will have to fab something! No problem, kind of enjoy that kind of work!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Panelrodder

Quote:

Logan is actually only about two hours north, close to 1 1/2 if you know were the cops sit!! It looks like a lot longer drive on a map than it really is. The freeway speed hits 75 when you get north of Ogden, which means that 85 is ok!!!!! What type of business brings to you SLC?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
TooMany2count

the rear mounting points on the stock frame went through the frame at the rear. the ONLY brackets attached to the frame are in the front...joe
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelrodder
Logan is actually only about two hours north, close to 1 1/2 if you know were the cops sit!! It looks like a lot longer drive on a map than it really is. The freeway speed hits 75 when you get north of Ogden, which means that 85 is ok!!!!! What type of business brings to you SLC?
Cool....that's not so far. If things work out, maybe I can get some time and pop in to look at your Mr. Potato Head project
I'm a data/communications supervisor for an energy company.

Poor lighting in the garage tonight. The images didn't come out clear enough to really show things like I wanted. I've got a light out in the shed that I'll drag in tomorrow and get some quality pics for you.

Last edited by 3100 special; 07-19-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
Panelrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
the rear mounting points on the stock frame went through the frame at the rear. the ONLY brackets attached to the frame are in the front...joe

That is what I was afraid of. I will have to look closer at my frame and see what I can come up with. I may just be remembering it wrong. My truck is coming home on saturday morning so I should have a fresh idea then!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
TooMany2count

just take a piece of square tubing & cut it at an angle and make a mount. this pic will give ya an idea what i did to the rear of mine since its on an s10 frame
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Panelrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
just take a piece of square tubing & cut it at an angle and make a mount. this pic will give ya an idea what i did to the rear of mine since its on an s10 frame

That will be perfect! I was kind of imagining something along those lines but hadn't taken the time to really visualize how I was going to make it. That simplified it a bunch thanks!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

First let's see the pics and I'll come back and edit....
Ok, that works. The pic on the left is when the carrage bolts go down from the back edge of the seat deck. This bolt did pass through the wood plywood that used to be in the rear.

The pic on the right, shows two arrows. The one on top is where the carriage bolt went down through the back plate. The second arrow below shows how the bolt dropped down after I ground the head off of the bolt. You can see an area directly in front of the area where the bolt passes through the frame that is a lighter color. This is where cross member (?) pieces where bolted on to the frame. The wood in the back of the truck rested on these cross pieces. The pics on my site still show these cross pieces in place.

This help? Looking at Joe's site, he came up with a great way of using steel tubing to build a dang sturdy base...and add a little weight....his truck looked too light anyway.....
You may have to build yourself something if the previous owner went too far with their mods.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3100 special; 07-20-2005 at 08:13 PM.