The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

billet vintec wheel fitment question...

Hey all, I know someone here has these type wheels on a black truck, so if this person could come forward it would be much appreciated!!! 4 Vintec Wheels.2 wheels are 18 X 7 with a 4.25" backspacing. and the other 2 wheels are 20 x 8 with a 4-1/2" backspacing, do you all think I will have any problems mounting these wheels on my 74 stepper?>>>>>Also, Center Bore because some of the old Chevy Trucks have a very large center bore. Let me know someone?!?! It would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

Re: billet vintec wheel fitment question...

here's a close pic of the wheels i found>>>
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
BowTieMan

n2trux has those wheels in a 20" on his black 77. I know he will help you when he gets on here.

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Last edited by BowTieMan; 10-29-2005 at 12:08 PM.
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yep that's me. The VinTec is one of those wheels that has a timeless design. It is similiar to the original Halibrand wheel with a fresh look.

The center bore should not be a problem. I will have to get back with you on the backspace though. I never can remember what we used on my 77 (or 82 Blazer) so I wrote it down. Now I just have to remember where I put it at....

This is 20's all around..
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

And this is an 18/20 combo....
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

BTW- What you have pictured is the VinTec "soft lip dish" . Due to trhe dish, the back space will be different that the standard Vintec that I have.

Here are the different styles from the Billet Specialties website-

VinTec-

Vintec Dish -

Soft Lip Vintec Dish -

Old 10-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you notice in the pic of the Soft Lip Vintec Dish the valve stem is mounted on the inside of the wheel. If you are going to get a set made, I highly recommend this option. It will make polishing the lip of your wheel "much" easier. Unless your anal like me and get the inside lip polished too....
Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

I really love the style, but I do like the vintec dish more than the soft lip. Looks really good. I also like the styling too and your right, it has a timeless hot rod look with a custom touch! I appreciate you finding the backspacing out for me, I really don't want to screw this up...lol!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I'm with you A, both look good, but the Vintec Dish looks really good. The regular lip gives it more of a traditional classic look.

I would think the 18x7 w/ 4.25 bs should work for the front. The 20x8 w/ 4.25 bs may have a bit too much bs. Hopefully, N2 can verify the bs. BTW, what size tires are you planning on running? What do you think about running some wider wheels than what you posted (i.e. 18x8s and 20x10s) to fill the wheel wells? Not sure of your budget, but BS is selling 18s from $1495 a set and 20s from $1595 a set. I like N2 suggestion of 'hiding' the valve stems.

Below, is a pic of a truck with 17s Vintec Dish.

BTW, N2: Will the bs be different whether the wheel is a Vintec or a Vintec Dish? I would think bs is bs regardless of the center profile.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
SCOTI

I would say 18x7 w/4" BS for the front. I have 18x8's w/5.25" BS & they're tucked in pretty well (I definitely don't have to worry about the fender-lip ever buzzing the tires). If you subtract the difference between my 8's & your proposed 7's, take 1" from the BS of mine & it would be 4.25 & I feel if mine were out another .25 ~ .5" it would actually look a little better.

For the rears, 8" w/4" BS would work better, or 9.5" w/4.5" BS would be optimum. I have 20x10's w/5" BS & they're perfectly centered w/no rubbing ever.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-30-2005 at 05:52 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

heres the "kunundrum", I found these wheels from a guy at a meet and they are new, but the buyer backed out, I just wonder if they would look stupid or not, I'm not really saving alot of ching, but a bucks a buck and I like the style, although I have no understanding of wheels, BS/ etc...thats why I turn to my fellow truckers!!!I seem to notice most of you think the size is not large enough, so I'm thinking after reading scoti, and boxrodz post that I may want to just hold off on my purchase, maybe I should go with N2, by the way, thanks man, info was golden. I like the idea of the hidden stems! thanks..all
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
.BTW, N2: Will the bs be different whether the wheel is a Vintec or a Vintec Dish? I would think bs is bs regardless of the center profile.
The VinTec dish will have a different backspace. It is truly a dished wheel so it is deeper which would require more backspace than the Vintec.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ
heres the "kunundrum", ....I'm not really saving alot of ching, but a bucks a buck and I like the style, .....N2, by the way, thanks man, info was golden. I like the idea of the hidden stems! thanks..all
From what Scoti is saying they should work, but the fronts will be tucked a little more than mine. You need to decide if you are saving enough money to make it worth your concern.

I still have to find where I put my BS info.....
Old 10-31-2005, 11:45 PM   #14
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I would say 18x7 w/4" BS for the front. I have 18x8's w/5.25" BS & they're tucked in pretty well (I definitely don't have to worry about the fender-lip ever buzzing the tires). If you subtract the difference between my 8's & your proposed 7's, take 1" from the BS of mine & it would be 4.25 & I feel if mine were out another .25 ~ .5" it would actually look a little better.

For the rears, 8" w/4" BS would work better, or 9.5" w/4.5" BS would be optimum. I have 20x10's w/5" BS & they're perfectly centered w/no rubbing ever.

hey scoti, not to steal what you have but could you post a better pic of your truck and your tire/rim info, lowering info, are you using bags? I have always admired that truck!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 AM   #15
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

How many different threads are you going to start about wheels? Any of the wheels you've looked at, would look killer on your stepper. Now, throw some on their so you can be bling-blingin
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #16
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

thats the problem, theres too many choices.....
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #17
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
The VinTec dish will have a different backspace. It is truly a dished wheel so it is deeper which would require more backspace than the Vintec.
N2-
Thanks for the response. I think I follow what you're saying about the deep-dish (negative offset) wheel versus a 'regular' wheel, but I guess I see it a little differently. I figured that since the bs is the distance between the backside of the mounting pad and the inside edge of the wheel, then for a wheel of a given width to fit these trucks, it would require the same bs. If that's the case, then I have wondered how they maintain the same bs between the two profiles. I figured that they attach the center of dish wheels closer towards outer edge of the loop. Anyway, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ
hey scoti, not to steal what you have but could you post a better pic of your truck and your tire/rim info, lowering info, are you using bags? I have always admired that truck!
If I remember correctly, I think scoti has a 5-6 front static drop and a 6-7 rear static drop. As he said eariler, he runs 18x8s in front and 20x10s in the rear. I think at one time, he was running 245/45s in front and 295/40s in the rear.

Good luck in your choice.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
...If I remember correctly, I think scoti has a 5-6 front static drop and a 6-7 rear static drop. As he said eariler, he runs 18x8s in front and 20x10s in the rear. I think at one time, he was running 245/45s in front and 295/40s in the rear....
Couldn't have said it better myself. . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote