The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Windshield replacement problems...

Last saturday Safelite shows up to install my new windshield. I have the original chrome trim and a new aftermarket gasket - chrome doesn't appear to be bent in anyway to me. He puts the windshield, chrome, and new gasket in but can't get the trim to stay in across the bottom. So he says it's the safelite glass. He orders an LOF (supposedly a better windshield than the safelite brand) windshield and says he'll be back mid-week to put it in. He comes back out wednesday and installs it - same thing, the trim won't seat across the bottom. Now he says it's because I'm using factory chrome w/ after market gasket. He wants me to order new chrome and he'll come back out once again. Has anybody had bad experiences using original chrome with after market gaskets? The guy was cool and isn't charging me for the return trips.

Jim

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707

Last edited by Jimbotronics; 05-19-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
TugOwar

Re: Windshield replace problems...

When I put my windsheild in I went with the plain gasket, didn't re-use the chrome, so I'm no help on that.

I seem to remember reading that you're suppose to place the chrome in the gasket before installing the windsheild??

Anyway, here's a ttt for you.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Thanks TugOwar - i forgot to mention that, he did place the chrome in the gasket but it pops out even with someone else trying to hold it in place as we works the glass in.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Green Machine

Maybe you have the wrong gasket ? 67-70 with trim, the trim lip is deeper, 71-72 has a shallow groove IIRC. That trim looks god but it is alway a PIA to install. I think GM still makes a gasket for those, maybe a GM gasket might be worth a shot.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Aarons72s

They still make LOF windshields! Cool sinse they were originally installed in ours. If you don't mid me asking what does a new LOF windshield run. I am one of those guys that likes to see LOF on my glass, delco on my motor parts and guide on my lights.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Jimbotronics
YA YA

It was $247 installed. Not complaining about the price, just gotta get the chrome to seat. If he can't then I'll get a regular gasket and he'll make one last trip and it'll be done.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

What Green Machine said is more and likely the problem. you have a 69-70 trim and 71-72 gasket or vice versa. I can never remeber which one is deeper/vs shallower, I know you have to match them up year to year though or you have a problem. Like Tug I solved mine by not using the trim and keeping it plain.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
RICHARD MORGAN

When is Safelite comming back out?
They're comming out to my place Thursday to install a new windshield and back glass. I'll be using new aftermarket gaskets and new aftermarket stainless trim than I purchased from Tim Christian. I'll let you know how my experience goes.

Richard
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Ozark Tim

As you have heard the trim and gasket is specific to 71 and 72. I had a similar experiance and it turned out that the gasket i had bought from LMC wouldnt work. I took it to a professional and they had to order a different gasket and my trim worked in it fine. So even though the trim and gasket i had were ordered for the 71-72 truck the Chinese made winsheild gasket was the problem. The people at United auto glass in Fenton, MO figured it out and ordered the gasket that wound up working. There # is 636-343-7995 if it would help you.
OT
Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

First check the trim depth and rubber seal depth. If they are OK...
Have a set of original GM trim ready to try.
I won't sell that *&%+! import trim. It doesn't have the right shape and won't stay in.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:35 AM   #11
mbgmike

The gaskets LMC sells from our experience W/trim do not work. We had the same problems and had Binswanger Glass (in auto Glass business since 1947)try and they couldn't put them in either. There is a real good gasket that works, i am not at the shop so I can't get the name. They work every time. I will be back memorial weekend and find it. It's an american company but foreign made but looks and fits just like factory. It comes in a clear and green bag is all i can remember now.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Tim Christian

Do make sure you have the correct year gasket to match the trim. We ran in to sort of the same thing a while ago but someone had installed 67-70 trim and gasket into a 72 so we was all confused. Frank we use the aftermarket trim all the time with no problems. I have sold over 100 sets of it.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
Solver

Here is a pic of the front windshield trim. Might help to match up what you have
Top one with deep lip is older style and bottom one is 71-72 style
Attached Images

• 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
ratrod67

Good post! I went through the same thing with my 67. Binswanger tried the install 2 times with 2 different gaskets. I ended up with no trim.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
Jimbotronics
YA YA

WOW! Thanks for all the responses. Here's a little more information. The gasket was ordered from ChevyDuty and I rember the tag identifying 71-72. I couldn't remember the name that was on the bag so I called up ChevyDuty to find out. ChevyDuty said they were in the process of switching companies as we speak for this specific reason and that they'd send me a new set of gaskets but they won't be in for about a month. I'm in no hurry - there's plenty of other stuff to work on in the meantime. He said the new gaskets are stock original rubber by Precision - anyone have any experience with Precision? Also, the trim matches the 71-72 style in solver's photo.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #16
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67
Good post! I went through the same thing with my 67. Binswanger tried the install 2 times with 2 different gaskets. I ended up with no trim.
Yeah some times its the guy installing them. We have them put in windows on old trucks then they say they don't do them anymore.Then they do them again the next time. One of their employees told me its because the guys that know how quit and the newer guys never installed them,then they hire a guy that knows how. so you just have to be lucky I guess. I gave up installing them. I will stick to body work
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #17
hexafamily

It took the glass shop 3 tries over three days to get ours installed last month. Its in now, but not perfect, but looks okay. They said everytime they tried the trim kept popping out in different places (mostly the drivers side and bottom).

'57 Chevy Nomad
'70 Buick GSX
'72 Cheyene (Boys' truck)
hexafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #18
RICHARD MORGAN

Well, safelite just called (An hour before my appt). They said they cant find the glass. they said they did a "nationwide search". They said if i can find the glass they'll install it for me.
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
ZekeD

Has anyone tried to remove their own windshield for paint/repair?

Is it a stone B%$#, and will a dufus like me run an even chance of not breaking it on the way out?

Thx

Zeke

"Love is the illusion that one woman is different from the rest"
ZekeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #20
Sweet72

You can remove the glass easily by cutting the outer bead on the rubber gasket all the way around parallel to plane of the glass and with a helper, pop it out. Don't try this by yourself, you'll need four hands.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #21
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

It is possible that we got a "bad run" of the Taiwan trim, but I had to go down to the glass shop and see what the problem was. We tried two sets of new import trim and the bottom pieces were not curved right to fit in the rubber.
I cleaned up a used set out of an old truck and it fit perfect with no problems.
This glass shop does all of our windshields, so they do a lot of our year trucks and never have any problems other than leaks that have to be resealed sometimes.
I could sell a lot of this new trim, if it fit, but now I don't trust it!
If you still have a problem with the new rubber seal, just try an original trim set and let us know how it turns out. Don't give up. You can have trim around your WS, if you want it. Some shops just don't want to do it.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #22
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeD
Has anyone tried to remove their own windshield for paint/repair?

Is it a stone B%$#, and will a dufus like me run an even chance of not breaking it on the way out?

Thx

Zeke

"Love is the illusion that one woman is different from the rest"
Howdy Zeke, welcome from South TX.

I did my own windsheild replacement with the help of my son, and honestly, 6 hands would have been nice at times! lol But we managed it pretty well.

Like sweet72 said, getting it out is the easy part, just cut the lip off the old gasket, its 30-some years old anyway and probably needs replacing, and push the windsheild out. Mine was already cracked in several places and still got it out without it falling apart.

When you get ready to put it back in check the FAQ section, there is a thread there outlining the method for putting it in. Don't hesitate to ask questions and good luck!
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #23
BILT4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugOwar View Post
Howdy Zeke, welcome from South TX.

I did my own windsheild replacement with the help of my son, and honestly, 6 hands would have been nice at times! lol But we managed it pretty well.

Like sweet72 said, getting it out is the easy part, just cut the lip off the old gasket, its 30-some years old anyway and probably needs replacing, and push the windsheild out. Mine was already cracked in several places and still got it out without it falling apart.

When you get ready to put it back in check the FAQ section, there is a thread there outlining the method for putting it in. Don't hesitate to ask questions and good luck!
Thread from the Dead.....

I looked and tried to search for a windshield FAQ and got nothing. Not sure what I did wrong.

Need to pull and install a new windshield in our 70 GMC K2500. Do we use any sealant to do the install? I saw one feller mentioned Linseed Oil, but I'm not sure what that will do for the paint.

We want to pull the old one ourselves, then clean up the metal edge, then have a pro do the install and supply the glass. We already have a new seal....from LMC, which I have read not so good reviews about.......
Old 08-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
anew4961

I put my on windshield in safelight said they did not have anyone to do it. there are two different gaskets. one takes the short chrome lip 71 & 72. 70 down takes the long chrome lip may be your problem? they are not that hard to install it takes two people and 2 suction cups a I/4 inch rope you can find this on you tube. hope this helps
anew4961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
Grumpy old man

I've done a ton of stainless surround trim windshield and rear window installs over the years and one tip I found that works is to get the glass gasket and correct trim together and mask it all in place securely ,I'm talking really tape it in place then once your happy with it set it in a warm spot and leave it sit for a few days and let the gasket settle . taking the gasket out of the bag and stretching it onto the glass and working the trim into it makes it come alive and all it wants to do is get back to the relaxed state it was in before you started. once it settles it is way less prone to want to roll off or spit the trim . As stated above you have to have the correct year matching gasket and trim . also measure and mark the center of the opening and the glass using a piece of masking tape and pencil it has to be as close to center as possible to ease installation ,I only use windex to lube for install
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote