The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
HotRod73

What is a Bonanza?!

Can SOMEONE please tell me what a bonanza is? i have looked everywhere. My truck says bonanza on the fenders and on the dash... what does that mean?!? thank you!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
dswancutt

Re: What is a Bonanza?!

Basically it was a promotional trim package that ran from about 75 through 80, but don't quote me on that. It looks as if it was offered from Jan through March of each year to bring in sales traffic according to the broucher and was available on the pickup (Fleetside Only, CK10,20,30), van, El Camino and beginging in 1978, the Blazer. It basically is an Scottsdale with the following option groups available.
YG6 - Scottsdale Trim Package
- Bonanza trimplate
- Color-keyed carpeting
- Striped vinyl bench seat
- Deluxe wheel covers (C & K10 only)
- Chromed grille
- Bright body moldings
- Gage-ype instrument cluster
- Clock
- AM radio
YG7 - All items in YG6 plus:
- Automatic transmission
- Power Steering
- Comfortilt Steering wheel
- Inside hood release
YG8 - All items in YG7 plus:
- Soft-Ray tinted glass
- Air Conditioning
- Cargo lamp
YG9 - All items in YG8 plus:
- Operating convenience group
- Cruise control
All these packages offered a cost savings over ordering each of the item seperately. I have a 78 C10 with the YG9 Group. This is probably more info than you needed, but hopefully this helps

Last edited by dswancutt; 12-25-2006 at 01:13 PM.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
HotRod73

also can anyone tell me what bolt patterns fit my 5 lug truck
Old 12-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod73 View Post
also can anyone tell me what bolt patterns fit my 5 lug truck
should be 5 on 5
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
HotRod73

i have pretty much all of that except cruise
Old 12-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
RANDY COX

HHM BANANZA--let's see there was Ben,Adam,Hoss,and of course Little Joe,and hop-sing,this was a popular western show back in the day,I still enjoy watching it today,I know,I know what your all thinking mr. smarty pants,well your right I just could not pass this up.Have a Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
7387chevys

Avery good tv show.....I always get beat to the wisecracks...........just a trim package cheyenne bonanza cheyenne super silverado scottsdale etc....is this any relation to the GMC wrangler and the armarillo edition? may find some more info there\/
www.73-87.com

Shane
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
Texasdeere

I have a 78 Scottsdale with the Bonanza package and it has all the above mentioned options. Seems like the next best thing would have been a Silverado package.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
KIILew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
HHM BANANZA--let's see there was Ben,Adam,Hoss,and of course Little Joe,and hop-sing,this was a popular western show back in the day,I still enjoy watching it today,I know,I know what your all thinking mr. smarty pants,well your right I just could not pass this up.Have a Merry Christmas
Believe it or not...the relevance of the above answer to Chevy pickups may equal that of dswancutt's excellently detailed description of the trim package!

Long before the 1975 model year introduction of the Bonanza "special value" option packages for Chevy pickups, vans and El Caminos, Chevrolet actually implemented a seasonal sales program using radio and TV commercials, customer mailers, brochures and dealership decorations celebrating the then-contemporary TV program in an effort to drum up foot traffic to the dealerships. Visual materials included images of the above mentioned characters, and also were festooned with the legendary "Bonanza!" script stylized to mimic the "title page" of the TV program. Of course the idea was to capture the excitement of the TV show and channel it into public recognition of the "bonanza" available and embodied in all of the new Chevy’s in dealers' inventories.

At the time, specific "Bonanza" - trimmed vehicles did not exist (the program was instead meant to increase visibility of all of Chevy dealers' wares). However, concurrently - and independently - Chevy introduced the limited production "Highlander" option/trim packages for it's light truck line which bundled popular options together at a discounted price for buyers. These WERE specific vehicles that, today, are highly sought after by '67-'72 Chevy truck fans, and they can be identified by the YG-prefixed option codes found on their build sheets and option listings. The Highlander packages carried over into the redesigned '73 and '74 Chevy truck offerings, and were redesignated as "Bonanza" packages for the 1975 and subsequent model years. By that time, it now seems, the association of Chevy's use of the name with the famous TV western was unspoken -- or perhaps completely ignored by Chevrolet.

Incidentally, I have one of the original promotional media packages that Chevrolet distributed to its dealers to announce the Bonanza TV western marketing program.

Hope some of this seems interesting to someone!

Ken Lewis
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
boatpuller

i used to like it when hoss used to kick as$.some stranger would try to pick a fight with the big guy from nevada,wrong thing to do.heck i still stop and watch it when i'm running thru the channels. oh yeah,bonaza trucks.there nice too.

Last edited by boatpuller; 12-27-2006 at 12:10 PM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
72armyswbtruck

Kinda like the BIG JIM branded trucks?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
HotRod73

Thanks for the info, i just sold it... needed little too much work started disassembling the motor to fix the what might have been bad head gasket and was offered the 87 swb with the 305 tbi in it so i quickly let the 78' bonanza go to my neighbor for the HUGE sum of $160 bucks.... yeah i know, dumb to sell it that cheap it even had title and all, ran and drove but not well at all .... im pleased with getting the 87' i had to get rid of one to get it was either the bonanza or my 73 which was my grandpa's and only has 90k original miles so you guessed it, bonanza was outta here!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
7387chevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
Kinda like the BIG JIM branded trucks?
You mean Gentleman Jim ? right???? They also had the Beau James edition
Shane
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
swissarmychainsaw

Big Jim was the toy you played with as a kid. Gentleman Jim was the toy you played with when you grew up:

Here's the Big Jim Camper

More on Big Jim. LOL took me back!
http://www.toysyouhad.com/Bigjim.htm
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
tucsonjwt

GM promoted Bonanza the TV series in ads, but I never saw the Bonanza option pickup in ads. I do like the one with Adam rolling into town in a 65 Vette.

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
truckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdeere View Post
I have a 78 Scottsdale with the Bonanza package and it has all the above mentioned options. Seems like the next best thing would have been a Silverado package.
my 1977 is a Bonanza. its between a Scottsdale and a Cheyenne.

Love the old Bonanza commercials.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
truckfan

Buildsheet
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Tx79chevy

Mine is a Scottsdale with the Bonanza package. I guess before they actually put the BONANZA badges on the trucks.
Name:  securedownload (4).jpg
Views: 26470
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  Bonanza.jpg
Views: 26828
Size:  47.9 KB
1979 Silverado
1987 Silverado
1987 Cutlass Supreme (For Sale)
Tx79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
suxtobu65

Holy crap... This is a really old thread..
Posted via Mobile Device
suxtobu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
BigBlocksRule

Holy back-from-the-dead-thread, Batman!!!
Saw the thread title, first time I've been treed by almost 7 years, Randy Cox!
I watched every episode as a kid, but Bonanza always played second fiddle to Gunsmoke in my younger days.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
Cowboyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIILew View Post
Believe it or not...the relevance of the above answer to Chevy pickups may equal that of dswancutt's excellently detailed description of the trim package!

Long before the 1975 model year introduction of the Bonanza "special value" option packages for Chevy pickups, vans and El Caminos, Chevrolet actually implemented a seasonal sales program using radio and TV commercials, customer mailers, brochures and dealership decorations celebrating the then-contemporary TV program in an effort to drum up foot traffic to the dealerships. Visual materials included images of the above mentioned characters, and also were festooned with the legendary "Bonanza!" script stylized to mimic the "title page" of the TV program. Of course the idea was to capture the excitement of the TV show and channel it into public recognition of the "bonanza" available and embodied in all of the new Chevy’s in dealers' inventories.

At the time, specific "Bonanza" - trimmed vehicles did not exist (the program was instead meant to increase visibility of all of Chevy dealers' wares). However, concurrently - and independently - Chevy introduced the limited production "Highlander" option/trim packages for it's light truck line which bundled popular options together at a discounted price for buyers. These WERE specific vehicles that, today, are highly sought after by '67-'72 Chevy truck fans, and they can be identified by the YG-prefixed option codes found on their build sheets and option listings. The Highlander packages carried over into the redesigned '73 and '74 Chevy truck offerings, and were redesignated as "Bonanza" packages for the 1975 and subsequent model years. By that time, it now seems, the association of Chevy's use of the name with the famous TV western was unspoken -- or perhaps completely ignored by Chevrolet.

Incidentally, I have one of the original promotional media packages that Chevrolet distributed to its dealers to announce the Bonanza TV western marketing program.

Hope some of this seems interesting to someone!

Ken Lewis
Ken, I'm very interested in the bonanza media package are there any way I can purchase just a copy?
Thank you sir
Cowboyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
Cowboyup

Johnny Kaylor
johnnykaylor@yahoo.com
980 429 0335
Interested in the bonanza information
Cowboyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #23
KIILew

Johnny, you have resurrected me from the dead! Let me find that Bonanza stuff (I have it in storage along with data books, etc).

Ken Lewis
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote