The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

OIL LEAK...:help:

OK i have this oil leak and i do not know why oil goes throu this part...but here it goes...i have several pics of where the oil is at...if any one could help me it would be awesome....i can provide more pics
Attached Images

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!

Last edited by stonewall618; 01-22-2008 at 07:55 AM.
stonewall618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: OIL LEAK...:help:

the oil is not in the heater box, it is blowing off the engine from the fan and wind through the grill at speed, and building up there.
Look at the valve cover, fuel pump, and even the timing cover and crank seal up front.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

there is no oil on the engine....any were...its comming from under the box and its comming out of the hose...i didnt hook it up so i dont know what has been done...but ill look

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Longhorn Man

all that is in there is coolant... antifreeze/water
Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

i understand what you are saying but... i lose about a qt of oil a week...and i always see it on the ground where i park

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
soba_03

IS there oil on top of the motor, where dizzy sits? Or maybe it's Trans Fluid, If it's an auto might be yout trans dipstic tube. When I first saw pictures thought you had a heater core leak. But not sure. I know that there is a plug or a sender right under the manifold that is for temp sender or maybe a plug if your sender is on the other side.

Heck I could think of lots of things it MIGHT be. But most don't make sence. Thought maybe it's Torque converter.. But that is father down the tunnel and wouldn't blow forward unless you drive wild crazy in reverse.

HEY if IT's AUTO Do your Trans Lines run near or through that area? Maybe a pin hole...

I don't have a freakin Idea now....

Good luck...

Last edited by soba_03; 01-23-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: I can't type
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #7
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

ya ill check all those places...but i just wont worry about it for verry long...im going to have it rebuilt in march so ill deal with it fr a few more months i was just wondering if any one could help me

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #8
soba_03

I guess that only thing I would ask you. You said that it leaks oil when it sits. Is it from the same area that your seeing the oil spray from? Next is are you sure that it's oil and not antifreeze? I've seen what you have but it is antifreeze and problem is a bad heater core. NOW with that said. You potentially could have a bad head gasket and ALSO a leaky heater core. IF that is the case the oil could be comming out of a leaky heater core.

A quick check, does the oil dipstick have any grey/brown milky crap on it? Does your radiator have any foaming/milky or oil in the antifreeze and finally, when you run your heater do you smell antifreeze or even oil fumes? If your only running water in your radiator you might want to get a bucket and drain it out and see what you got.. It's not terminal... but it's not fun either... Let me know if you find it... I'd be interested in knowing...

Good luck..
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

no theres on milky stuff om the dip stick...all thou i put oil in every week so idk... umm..i think i have a failing heater core because i have looked all around the engine and there is no oil on it...so idk...ill look in to getting a new heater core...and the gasket...also i have changed the valve cover gaskets 2 times...and finally i have stopped the leak there..so i think that is ok...o and the oil is all the way down the right frame...so i know when i drive its on the frame...and also it falls off and my exost pipe is black from the oil burning on it...so thats not a good thing.

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!

Last edited by stonewall618; 01-23-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Longhorn Man

That would be a lot of labor for nothing, but if you think the oil is coming from there, then go for it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
That would be a lot of labor for nothing, but if you think the oil is coming from there, then go for it.
LOL...I have to agree. I think these guys know their stuff. There is no oil in a heater core.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I agree....looks like a leaky heater core to me. your engine may just be "burning" the oil?

If you want to do a short term check of whats going on (w/o heat)... use a short piece of heater hose... and loop the heater hose ports on the engine. Then use some Simple Green or other engine cleaner and clean the engine, engine bay, and underneath...then with everything clean... you should be able to tell where any leaks are actually coming from.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

ya...does oil even go to the heater box?...and i am being serious i dont know...i would assume only water...but as i said i bought it this way and i have only had it since june...so i dont know what has been going on with it...but ya ill look in to doing that when my other car gets out of the shop

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
68GMCCustom

all you have there is radiator coolant flowing through a heater core that's hidden inside that box. nothing but water and anti-freeze. otherwise there's a small electric motor and some duct work.

the only way you could have any oil in that area from anything else...and it would be on the other side of the tunnel...would be a oil line to an oil pressure gauge on your dash. again, wrong side of the truck.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
68GMCCustom

...and BTW.....is that a FOrd style starter solenoid mounted on the inner fender well???

Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Longhorn Man

that ford starter relay is a common upgrade. It's one of the things ford USED to do right.
That isn't coolant on there either, coolant won't build up like that... that is oil, and it is leaking from the engine. Look on the exhaust manifold...

Koinda looks to me like you put way too much torque on the valve cover when you replaced the gasket... warped the crap outta it, and now it is spewing the oil onto the truck/ground/car behind you on the freeway.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

If you notice in this picture that the last bolt on the exhaust manifold is wet with oil and also the battery cable is also wet and the flow pattern on the fender well is coming from the front to the back, I think it could be the fuel pump. It is down low on the engine and the spray back pattern would be consitate with what I see here. Check the wept hole on the fuel pump. Also it could be the front crank seal.
Attached Images

oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
...and BTW.....is that a FOrd style starter solenoid mounted on the inner fender well???

as i said i bought it that way... i am planning on fixing it

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
that ford starter relay is a common upgrade. It's one of the things ford USED to do right.
That isn't coolant on there either, coolant won't build up like that... that is oil, and it is leaking from the engine. Look on the exhaust manifold...

Koinda looks to me like you put way too much torque on the valve cover when you replaced the gasket... warped the crap outta it, and now it is spewing the oil onto the truck/ground/car behind you on the freeway.
so ur saying i need to get some new valve cover gaskets? me and one of my friends changed my valve cover gaskets...i went from cork to the rubber ones and they seem to be ok but i think im going to look in to some new valve covers.

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

o and i should mention that my dad bought this truck in 2004 for 300 dollars and parked it till i was 18 so thats y i say i dont really know what has been done...my dad says that the old man he bought he was told that he had a 95 crate motor put in but i think thats crap because it still has all the 69 parts on it...so...thats were im at.

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Desert Silver

That trucks been sitting for three years and you do anything work on it all that time? I know if I had done that for my son he would have been doing all kinds of fixing up while he waited to be able to drive it.
Desert Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

yea...i wish....but i didnt live with him...and it wasnt at his house...it was at my pawpaws house....and i never had a ride...and i didnt know that he was giving it to me till about 2 weeks b4 my bday. so...thats were im at...

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Try warming it up, spraying a few cans of engine cleaner where the oil is, driving down to the car was, and blasting the buildup off.

Then you can see what color the goo is after driving a bit.

What others have said is true. There's no oil in the heater core, and chances are, the valve covers are warped at the mating surface where the gasket touches.

The valve covers are just sheet metal and over the years they get deformed. Nobody's fault.

Try laying a straighedge on the gasket mating surface when the VC is off and upside down. It will make sense then, I think...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #24
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

ill try that when i get payed

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!