The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
72gord
Never enough time!!

Screwed up: mixed oil question

Went to pick up the 68 1 ton at the local sawmill (slab wood hauler) and it needed a quart of oil, in a yank I grabbed a quart out of the cab and dumped it in (keep engine oil and atf for the dump bed in the cab) after I finished I noticed I put in atf So now I'm wondering if this is going to cause any engine damage? The truck is 4 miles from home and it is around 0 degrees so I don't want to change it there if I don't have to. This is a very tired engine, runs great, but uses quite a bit of oil....just don't want to have it lock up or flatten a cam lobe by my screw up. Any input would be appreciated...thanks in advance
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Screwed up: mixed oil question

I don't believe the transmission fluid will bother the engine. We added transmission fluid to engines to help lifter noise. (Cannot verify if it helped the lifter noise over a long time or not, but never saw any damage to the engines).

You could always change the oil if you are concerned.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
89 crew

The atf has a ton of detergents in it compared to engine oil. that is the reason it was recommended for the lifter noise. I wouldn't put it on the highway for a long time but the only real problem I think it might cause you is cleaning the engine up there for causing more oil consumption.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
joedoozer
is Certifiable

I agree with crew. Keep it off the highway, and try to keep the rpms low. Not only does the ATF have detergents, the major difference in viscosity can cause the oil to froth. Driving around 30 for 15 minutes or so shouldn't do anything bad.
joedoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

ATF has a lot of anti-frothing properties in it.
My grandfather substituted a quart of oil in favor of ATF in all his engines all his life. His reasoning was for the cleaning properties, and also he said it helped preserve the gaskets.
And i saw him remove the valve cover off a 100,xxx mile old 1968 F-2oo, never been opened, there was NO sludge (this was in the 80s with crappy parafin rich oils) and that engine didn't use/leak a drop of oil in it's 5,000 mile oil chainge intervals.
Run it and don't worry about it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
BarryB

I agree with Andy on this one. I use ATF in my motors also. If anything it's going to help it. One quart isn't going to hurt it.
Heck I put couple of quarts in my diesel fuel when I fill up. Helps keep the injectors clean and helps lubs the injectors pump.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
72BLUZ

drive it like you stole it. all you need to do is change the oil. the atf thins the oil and cleans the lifters. but you need to change it. running it to long can make the lifters rattle
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

We used to run Rislone (1 quart) at every oil change to keep em clean.....till we figured out that ATF was cheaper! I dont run an addative anymore on the low miles stuff, but still use ATF from time to time to help clean up an old motor. You can run it through the tank to clean the top end also....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Heck I put couple of quarts in my diesel fuel when I fill up. Helps keep the injectors clean and helps lubs the injectors pump.
And that is soooooooo important now with the new ULS diesel fuel. Once the feds required stricter smog standards on the diesels, they made all stations carry the ULS fuel... but they won't let them sell the older blends anymore (for for ON highway use anyways). This really sucks becouse the new ULS fuel is killing the older engines. (older meaning 2006 and older)
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Bob68stepside

I do this all the time to clean an engine for a rebuild. Change the oil you should be fine.
Bob68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
72BLUZ

olde is a thing of the past. i was just today in a class for cat tech tips on uls fuel. that s**t is getting more complicated with every passing day
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Longhorn Man

diesels are quickly becoming just as complicated as gas engines.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Mint68

I have ran atf in my oil a few times. I dont know if it helped any, but it doesn't seem to have hurt anything. An automotive tech teacher told my friend to do it right before an oil change, but not to leave it in there to long.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
Premium72

dont sweat it. go get the truck drive it home. if your worried about it change it later. rock on!
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I know alot of long time diesel guys that will have gas motors in their next trucks.The`07s went up $2,500 because of new emmissions equipt.Remember how simple they used to be?I went from pre-73s to diesels.Never had an emmissions test in my life.Well,except for my wife`s vehicles(which were bought new).
One qt. of ATF will clean`er out good,might smoke a bit.Just don`t put motor oil in your automatic.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
89 crew

The only reason I recommended a quick change was because of the current oil consumption. I figure if it cleans the sludge out he won't be able to keep oil in it.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

since he said consumption instead of leak, I am assuming the engine is burning it.
This won't effect that at all.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

It`ll prolly burn off quicker and smoke a bit more.It would be a good time to change the oil.Mixed oils is better than low or none.I hate even mixing brands of the same viscosity,but will do it rather than drive a crankcase low on oil(I try to keep a spare qt).When I do that it`s always oil change time for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
since he said consumption instead of leak, I am assuming the engine is burning it.
This won't effect that at all.
unless it's due to stuck rings, then it may help.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #20
rlb67

I've put many quarts of ATF in Ford Explorers for lifter noise. Mixed oil is always better than no oil at all.

67 Fleetside SWB L6 3 speed on column
84 Feetside SWB L6 3 speed on column
yes, I like column shifts
99 Dodge 4X4 Ext. Cab
rlb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
72gord
Never enough time!!

Thanks for all the input guys I bought this old girl for hauling slab wood for $400, runs great but burns quite a bit of oil, my farthest trips with it are about 10 miles or so. It could use a change anyhow, so I'll drive it home and give her a new filter and 5 quarts. It is worn enough that she turns over real easy even when its below zero so starting hasn't been a problem here this winter. The sawmill I get the slabwood from is run by the amish, so no way to plug the truck in and it always is outside. Kind of fun to watch them hook up the horses to the front and pull the trucks under the conveyor....somehow my radio station is always changed and the volume turned up for guys that don't listen to the radio!!!
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

No need to change it. I’ve run straight ATF in my trials bike for years. It calls for a 20w oil, but the wet clutch pack don’t like it as much, and the ATF makes it nice and smooth.
It seems to get dirty fast though, but easy to change.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #23
jay6891
Car Knocker

I agree that putting it in the engine won't hurt anything. With it burning oil it won't me long before you have to add more and dilute even more.
For you guys putting it in your fuel on a diesel engine. I hope DOT don't stop ya. Off road fuel has a red tint to it. You put tranny fuild in yours and guess what? red tint. I have been pulled over and they tested my fuel. Red tint because of the same thing that you are doing. Big fine $$$$$. Kinda messing with the IRS, you are guilty until YOU prove other wise. Accused me of running off-road fuel in my truck. Told them what I did and they didn't care. 10 thousand dollar fine and a 1000 dollars per gallon I had in my possession. Had a fuel tank in the back. Had them send it to a lab and they tested it and everything was forgivin. Think they charged the company I was working for about 850.00 for the test though. Needless to say the company put out a memo-----DO NOT ADD TRANSMISSION FLUID TO DIESEL FUEL.
I don't know if regular hydraulic fluid will benefit a engine but it will get you past a red tint. My 2 cents and experience.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #24
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6891 View Post
I agree that putting it in the engine won't hurt anything. With it burning oil it won't me long before you have to add more and dilute even more.
For you guys putting it in your fuel on a diesel engine. I hope DOT don't stop ya. Off road fuel has a red tint to it. You put tranny fuild in yours and guess what? red tint. I have been pulled over and they tested my fuel. Red tint because of the same thing that you are doing. Big fine $$$$$. Kinda messing with the IRS, you are guilty until YOU prove other wise. Accused me of running off-road fuel in my truck. Told them what I did and they didn't care. 10 thousand dollar fine and a 1000 dollars per gallon I had in my possession. Had a fuel tank in the back. Had them send it to a lab and they tested it and everything was forgivin. Think they charged the company I was working for about 850.00 for the test though. Needless to say the company put out a memo-----DO NOT ADD TRANSMISSION FLUID TO DIESEL FUEL.
I don't know if regular hydraulic fluid will benefit a engine but it will get you past a red tint. My 2 cents and experience.
I was wondering abut that….How much ATF did you run in it?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote