The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Chevyman680063

People who try to buy your truck

I was just wondering what people do when they ask you if your truck's for sale and you tell them it's not for sale. A few years ago after I had bought my 63 Chevy C10 some guy came up to me at work about a month or so after I had it and asked me what I wanted for it. I nicely told the guy it wasn't for sale and he was like, "Ah come on." After I told him again it wasn't for sale he started getting mad because I wouldn't sell it to him then he asked me with a tone, "Well then why are you driving it to work if you ain't gonna sell it?" I paused for a couple seconds and was just like, "Umm, because it's my daily driver and I like it." A couple months after that I had another guy walk up to me at work and asked if it was for sale and I told him no. He told me he'd give me $5,000 for it and I still said no. Then he told me, "I bet you if I took the money out and showed it to you I bet you'd sell it then." When he said that I was thinking, "I bet you I want", but instead of being rude with him I just politely told him no again. So what kind of stories have you guys got about people trying to buy your truck?
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
DavesRide

Re: People who try to buy your truck

I sold a truck about 12 years ago that was nice. It was a '68. Price $1300. As is. Buyer took it to shop and said that it needed $75 worth of upper control arm bushing work to be correct. He said would I sell truck for $1225 and I said NO $1300. He drove away in it. My Bad. I should have kept it. Yeah , I should have kept a lot of stuff that I threw away and threw away a bunch of stuff I kept.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
DavesRide

People who ask aren't serious is how I always have been tought. I think the saying goes is " If you have to ask you can't afford it."
Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
haysonj

I'm trying to sell a 77 motor home right now runs good and everything works. I'm only asking 2000 which is a very fair price. about two hours ago a guy comes by and I start it. It has a small exhaust leak that goes away once its warm. He wants me to knock off 500 for the leak. 15 dollar part and an hour of my time. Some people just have to try to get a better deal
Old 02-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
pissonNOS

i usually tell em an outrageous price then they say well it aint worth that to which i reply well guess i dont wanna sell it that bad then do i
Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Although I regularly get asked to sell my '69 C/10 and my '67 C-30 dually, but I absolutely get harrassed about my ramp truck. I can't even stop and get gas without getting hounded about it. I know its more about the price of scrap right now than the fact its a '67-72 truck, but I literally get asked a couple of times a day if I'm out in it. I have NOT FOR HIRE decals on it, and I joked with my wife just last week that I was going to go have ...AND NOT FOR SALE EITHER!!! made up and put under them!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 02-23-2008 at 09:34 AM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I had the rally sport ( 68 ) on the trailer the other day getting paint estimates . Every stop sign or light i was at people were asking , " how much ya want for it ?" . My answer , " i'd take $15,000 delivered to your house " that stops all the people who are thinking your not in tune with the market . I had the Luv at the race track the other day and went to the semi finals , People were really checking it out as i was loadiing up . A guy walks up and ask , "whatcu want for it" I just said "not for sell" . The guy says $5K , I say "
"not for sell ". The guy says 6K , I say "not for sell ". The guy says 7K , I say "not for sale ". He says 7500 , I said it is "not for sale , but you make me another offer and i'm gonna take it and then what you gonna do ". He walked off . I guess there all looking for a deal . My favorite is " if it where mine i'd do (blank) to it ". If you wanted one bad enough you would be at home working on yours and building it your style , not dogging my truck done my style . Sorry for the rant . Most of the people you run across are nice and just have a story to tell about a part of life that connects them to our trucks .
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Chevyman680063

I work at a car dealership and so people see my truck sitting there and immediately think it's a vehicle for sale on the lot even though it has a GA tag on it and there are no window stickers in it. Plus, I park in the back away from the cars that are for sale but people still think it's for sale. For the first few months after I got the truck people just kept coming on the lot to ask about it or calling wanting to know if it was for sale. I still get people driving up every now and then asking about it but I think most people know by now. What gets me the most though is when someone walks up and puts their hands all over the glass trying to look in even though the glass is not tinted so it's easy to see into it, and there are those people who for some reason think it's gonna be unlocked so they grab the handle and start trying to pull open the door like a mad man. I had one guy beat on the hood with his fist a couple times (guess he wanted to see if it was metal and not fiberglass), I was like, "Woah woah woah dude, what the heck are you doing?"
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I'll try not to stray to far , but the hood opening thing really gets me a Chevy luv hood opens from the rear and has a remote latch inside . It never fails someone will see me reach in and grab the lever for the hood and as i walk over to open it start bashing the hood with there fist like it's stuck . I have dents on the crown of the hood from this . I have to tell them everytime " do you fell better now that you've dented the hood " as I open it by the windsheild .
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Chevyman680063

I understand how you feel hotrod, some people have no respect.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The trick is to have something that everyone hates.

I have had a couple guys come up to me at gas stations and ask me if my truck is for sale. I tell them that I haven't thought about it, they gave me their phone numbers and told me to call them when I wanted to sell. I haven't dialed them up yet. Those people would never purchase it anyways, it is their ego talking when they meet you.

I did have a kid offer me a $1000.00 for my show truck, once. He was a little miffed when I told him that the rims and tires cost more than that, not to mention the drivetrain was worth five times that---we did not talk the cost of paint. His dad had taught him that everything can be purchased CHEAP, you just have to haggle the seller down. Of course, dadddy did not tell him that he had to find someone that was interested in selling.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Camper Power

havent gotten any on my truck yet, mainly cause its been sitting in the garage most of the time, but before we moved we parked my dad's 66 gmc (which still needs lots of work) in our bac parking lot 4 about 7 maybe 8 years. about twice a mounth someone would knok on the door to see if it was 4 sale, but he always said no. hav yet 2 see a crazy one though.

1970 Chevy C20 daily driver
1975 GMC Jimmy 4x4 project
1966 GMC C10 Dad's project
Camper Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Although I regularly get asked to sell my '69 C/10 and my '67 C-30 dually, but I absolutely get harrassed about my ramp truck. I can't even stop and get gas without getting hounded about it. I know its more about the price of scrap right now than the fact its a '67-72 truck, but I literally get asked a couple of times a day if I'm out in it. I have NOT FOR HIRE decals on it, and I joked with my wife just last week that I was going to go have ...AND NOT FOR SALE EITHER!!! made up and put under them!
Remind me in a couple of months when I get my vinyl cutter, and I will make you a set!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I have my 72 Blazer up for sale right now.

I have been asking 18,000 for it. I was down at one of the buisness I do some sub contracting for the other day. The owner of the company comes in and says "I will give you 5 grand for it right now" What a dick.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
chevy72blu

Ive had probably 20-30 offers in the past few years (while I was driving it daily) ranging from 4-5k to 12-15. I actually seriously considered the one who offered me 15, but I have way too much of my blood sweat and tears in my 72... not to mention the family history. I doubt ill ever sell it.

When I have track numbers on the window, the offers come about twice as frequent. lol.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Mint68

I have people ask me to sell my stuff every now and them. The most irritating was a manager I worked for in high school. He came up to me one day and asked me if I wanted to sell my Camaro. I told him he didn’t make enough to afford a car like that. He told me he was watching them on eBay, they were going for at most $3000. He then informed me it was a 1973, and it was brown. I told him there must have been another Camaro in the lot because mine wasn’t a 1973, Brown, and was not a $3000 car. He kept asking me if I would sell it, I just kept telling him I wouldn’t even let him ride in it for that. I added a picture of it, if anybody else sees it as brown let me know, I’ll get my eyes checked.
Attached Images

Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
griesel72

i have a truck that has been at a mechanics shop about 100 yards off of a major highway in kansas for a couple of months, every time i check on it, he tells me the number of people that have stopped by and asked if it was for sale. I just tell him and them (if they call me) that i have owned that truck longer than i have known my wife, and wouldn't have anything to drive if i sold it

but the comments above are correct, most people who ask don't really want to buy anyway
2006 King Ranch
1980 Wife
griesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonNOS View Post
i usually tell em an outrageous price then they say well it aint worth that to which i reply well guess i dont wanna sell it that bad then do i
I dont know....theres some idiots out there with more money than sense, just ask the guy who paid 9k for my 95 Camaro.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

i had a mazda 323 years ago that i bought at a tow yard for 50 bucks, the thing ran like a top and used gas like an electric lawn mower! lol! any how i bought it to get to work for a month while my burban was in the shop getting a new set of gears and some paint, well i got the truck back and didnt have room for the mazda, so i put a 4 sale sign on it. i had a few offers but this kid kept bugging me to sell it to him everyday after work! he said he was getting his license in a month and he needed a car to move to l.a. i didn't buy his story until i saw his lic the day he got it, and he offered me 500 for it. i wanted 1000$, he then offered me 550, then 600 then 700, at 700 he started to cry and give me a sob story that he wanted to meet his dad for the first time in 17 years and needed a car to start fresh down there. he pulled out 650 cash stuffed it in my hand and told me to count it. he said he could borrow 50 bucks from a friend down the street and ran back with 50 more green ones in his fist screaming, i got it, i got it! so off he went in the little white mazda with 300 bucks worth of reg and smog work and a fresh tank of gas. i told him to change the fluids before he went to l.a. and he said he would and that he would always keep the car in good care. like i gave a crap, lol.... well about 6 months later i got a notice in the mail from a tow yard in san diego stating that there was a lien on the car and it would be sold at auction in 45 days..... ha! he got his moneys worth i guess!!
i never forgot that car, best running 50 dollar car i ever had

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

HAHA! This is great! Now that my 69 has back in my hands for a few months now, I keep fixing/adding little things, and I get more and more people saying "nice truck", etc. (at least once a day). Only had one guy ask if I were interested in selling though....

...Guess I should consider myself lucky
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your best bet is to have a price ready that you "would" sell it for. That usually shuts up the tire kickers. I have had them tell me "I saw one just like it go for xxxx less on eBay". My response is "you should have bought it" but your not buying mine for that.

When they get arrogant just tell them to step up or step aside.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #22
hilljob26

people are always asking if i will sell my truck,nobody wants to pay for it,they are all like,ill give you7500,or 9k,but im like shoot,if you want it,make me an offer i cant refuse,make me say wow,instaed of laughing in your face,the heck with it i guess

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Gray Ghost

I always say yes and produce a huge price that no one in their right mind would pay....that shuts 'em up fast....they walk away shaking their head and saying that boy's crazy!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #24
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I used to get asked if my Camaro was for sale quite a bit when I was younger. I haven't been asked in a decade or more until recently. The conversation went something like this:
"How much would you take for your Camaro" he asked.
I replied, "a million dollars."
Looking away then back at me he asked, "don't you think that's a little high?"
I replied, "not for sentimental value."

Lately I've been asked quite frequently if my truck is for sale. Until recently it wasn't, but that may change if I get a reasonable offer.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #25
1968SWBBigBlock

One of the biggest mistakes I made was passing up a great offer on my 67 GTO. Way back when before all the repop stuff was made I had a 67 GTO that had a mint AC, Auto interior. I was offered a good junk of change to sell the car to a guy that need the interior for his frame off restoration car. I let my pride get in the way (and my ignorance) and passed on the deal. Two years later I needed to sell the car so we could move and I ended up taking 1/8 the price I had been offered before.
I like my current truck a lot but if someone has enough money and they like it more than I do they can park it in their garage and I will find a new project. For most of us it is not that often that we have a chance to make money on these projects, or at least not lose our hind end so I decided on my last 454SS I would stick a price in the back of my head and if someone wanted it for that they could have it. Same with my 68.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote