The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
Brent5631

front axle placement

I put my front fenders on for the first time and wanted to get some opinions on the front axle placement. It looks like it could go forward a few more inches but then maybe not. just looking for opinions.
Attached Images

Four Link Rear
Brent5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
pugs

Re: front axle placement

i think it looks good, is it stock front axle or clipped, what did ya do on the rear, looks like you flipped it if so any pics
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Brent5631

it's actually a Flat Out Performance corvette kit. It uses the front suspension from a 96 corvette. and the rear is a heidt's or similar four bar with coilover's. I'll have to get pictures tomorrow as it's dark out.
and i need to do a proper introduction with plenty of pictures and such but that will happen later.
thanks for your input
Four Link Rear
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
hotrodsbyray

i would cautiously move it forward and 1 1/2" or 2 and try center under the flat part of the fender.
i say cautiously since i have a big boo boo i am gonna have to work out. i put an 81 trans am clip but only had the clip to start - no susp parts. i was told by several rodders that the upper shock mount holes were the center line on those f-bodies. well, i didnt like where the stock wheels were - they looked too far back and my measure showed it to be about 1 1/2". i put my clip 1 1/2" ahead of the stock center line. Guess what - now i am too far forward and will have to modify the front fenders to make everything work!
anybody else have this problem? HELP!
i am going to start a thread soon of my build also, and yes, i am gonna include any and all the mess-ups i go through! and lots photos
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
BlueJeep

Looks to me like it should be moved forward. I had to fix one recently that had a clip installed too far rearward, so I had to cut it apart and stretch it out, and then mold the two frame sections back together in a cleaner manner.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
53lochevy

hey bud by looking at the pics I thought you were from dallas, frisco/plano area? In the kit the measurements they gave you for the front install did you check with the vendor about the measurements? Also did you hang the front back on the truck after you tacked the front end in place before you welded it out, cause if you didnt could cause big mistakes any changes to the driveline, number one rule/hang the sheet metal back on never take if for granted it will fit/look right before you weld anything out. Ok how does the wheel in the well radius look like when turned all the way in both directions does it rub anywhere?
53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Brent5631

53lochevy i am actually from Rowlett on the east side of dallas. I only put dallas cause most people dont know where Rowlett is.

the measurements from the kit place the front wheel on the original axle centerline, which isn't centered in the wheel well. I checked this against what i had marked from the original axle. I moved it forward from those measurements about 1-1.5 inches. I did put the front fenders back on when it was just tacked but i didn't have any wheels with a chevy pattern at the time so i couldn't really tell but it looked close.
Anyway it looks like the wheel is a little far back compared to the top part of the wheel well but the bottom looks pretty well centered. I am feeling better about it since i have been looking at pictures of other trucks and they look to be in the same place as mine.
I hope no one has a problem with me showing some of the pictures i've been looking at but here they are as well as some more of mine as they were asked for.
Attached Images

Four Link Rear
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Brent5631

here's more of mine
Attached Images

Four Link Rear
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
nogaroa4

Hey Brent

Where did you pick up the kit from, and if you don't me asking how much did it run you.

Thanks
nogaroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 AM   #10
Coronas56

Brent, I moved my centerline forward 1 1/2 inch on my camaro sub last summer, and my flat out kit this past weekend. I found out moving the flat out kit forward 1 1/2 inches required that I had to remove my original front cross member. But you have to remember if it sits low and in original center line which is 27 1/2 inch from front horn. that the wheel will sit to far back in wheel well.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Brent5631

i got it from flat out engineering and all told i have about 2k into but that depends on how much you pay for the corvette stuff.
Four Link Rear
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
46deluxe

I think the wheels need to be moved forward on everyone of the trucks you have pictures of.
46deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote