The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Stuck in the middle.

Well Chaps, you all are a very bad influence terrible terrible influence, for you feed me man many pictures of hopped up and fixed up good ole American made Pickum-up trucks, and I am getting too many ideas.

Last night with the 1 ton dually pics post thread, My mind went into full tilt and my head is starting to implode because I cant make up my friggin mind.

As many of you know I have my 72 Chevrolet 1 ton dually the "Boss hoss"

I am now at a cross roads with this truck, because I have 2 potential ways to go with the build in my head, and both are just way too cool!

The first is to keep the truck a 2wd, Upgrade the monster 454 that is already sporting a steel crank, H-beam rods, forged pistons, and a full roller cam and roller rockers with an Edelbrock EFI system.

This would be a pretty fast upgrade, and would include an upgrade to a MSD 6AL Ignition box, and a Pro Billet distributor. The truck already has a NV4500, so the tranny issues are already handled. I also have a 4.10 geared 14 bolt I can stuff in the back. I also can get the complete front suspension out of the 95 1 ton dually I pulled the nv4500 and 14 bolt out of if I want to upgrade my front end thus making parts much easier to find. (you tell the kid at autozone you need anything for a 72 C/30 with a 454 be prepared to answer dumb assed questions like "Is it a half ton?" and "Is it four wheel drive" or my favorite "Is that the 5.7?"

I would then be looking at cutting the 6 inches out of the frame, and shortening the wheelbase to 127 inches. Then taking a page out of 67_C-30's book and put a regular long bed on it, and whack off a set of step side fenders and make it a dually bed.

It looks great, and when you get it to the completed stage, it looks even better.

If I do mine in this manner, it will be done in all white, and I will do the interior either red or royal blue.

Now on the other hand...

Last edited by MrBeast; 05-15-2008 at 05:38 AM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: Stuck in the middle.

Now on the other hand...

If I stick with a flat bed, well they look pretty awesome in that setup too, and are ultra functional.

If I do this, I will install a 6BT Cummins, I can get the 12 valve, rebuild it cheap because I work at a Cummins dealer, so I can buy everything I need at COST! I also found an outfit that sells and adapter that will allow me to hook my GM NV4500 up to the Cummins.

The next ace I would have up my sleeve would be to run the Advance Adapters Atlas II 4 speed transfer case, giving me an ultra low low, so I could run like 3.55's in the rear end to help with the fuel economy, but still have that super low low for when things get sticky.

Then I would be converting the truck to a 10 lug and bolting on a set of Michelin XDS2's on 19.5" rims, They stand 33.6 inches tall and with the 3.55 rear would put me at 1815 RPM @ 70 MPH.

It would wind up painted white, and be mildly lifted. Similar to Yukon Jack's friend Tony's truck.

The main differences being that the bed would be painted white, and seeing as how I had a Cummins I would put Semi style stacks up either side of the headache rack, as well as a big tool box under one side of the bed, and a huge fuel tank on the other. A dump bed also might be in the works as well.

Once again it would be really awesome built up this way, and would be a very very capable machine. Thus you all can see why I am having a damn hard time choosing here. I need your input. - Beast.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it's easy...
Do it with a longhorn 8 1/2 foot bed...133 inch wheelbase. Make the bed a dump bed, slap the 454 in there, and screw the parts kid at auto zone. When i need plugs for my caddy engine in my one ton, i just tell him it's a 78 eldorodo.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
"it's easy...
Do it with a longhorn 8 1/2 foot bed...133 inch wheelbase. Make the bed a dump bed"
How did I know that was coming! lol.

I have looked around, but longhorn beds aren't exactly plentiful.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Mondo

Which would you get more use out of...... or does that not really matter?
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

The Longhorn dually would be nice, but I too had trouble finding one. Until I cut my frame that is, then I found out that Uncle had several of them. I'd say build it for you need it for. I wanted a pickup that would be good for towing and the fact that I had always wanted a '67 small rear window dually pickup.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
Which would you get more use out of...... or does that not really matter?
Well either really for their own reasons. having the truck as a 2wd will make it a good tow rig, it will sit low, and as it is right now, the thing rides very well. It will be a sharp looker, but having a truck bed, it is a bit limited.

Now if I do the Cummins and flat bed, it will be a 4x4, and the flat bed will allow me to haul a lot of stuff with out needing a trailer, plus it is a 4x4 so if I make the trek to Montana, I have to worry less about what the weather is doing.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
The Longhorn dually would be nice, but I too had trouble finding one. Until I cut my frame that is, then I found out that Uncle had several of them. I'd say build it for you need it for. I wanted a pickup that would be good for towing and the fact that I had always wanted a '67 small rear window dually pickup.
Ok, and so im kind of starting to think that all I really need is... 2 trucks!

If I don't watch myself, pretty soon my truck list is going to look like yours. Good thing I have 3 acres! lol.

Are the beds uncle has in any kind of decent shape? I would sure love to not have to cut my frame down.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Ok, and so im kind of starting to think that all I really need is... 2 trucks!

If I don't watch myself, pretty soon my truck list is going to look like yours. Good thing I have 3 acres! lol.

Are the beds uncle has in any kind of decent shape? I would sure love to not have to cut my frame down.
Yes, I think he still has some decent ones. He sold David (72Freak) the bed for his flareless Longhorn dually.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Yes, I think he still has some decent ones. He sold David (72Freak) the bed for his flareless Longhorn dually.
That is a pretty tight truck.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 AM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Bump.