The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Lightbulb '67 Resto project

Hey Guys,

I am new at this but have had a passion for car & trucks for many years. My problem is I do not have a big budget to work on my 1967 Chevy truck. I want to do it right but fear it might cost me more than what I can handle.

How do you guys do it?

I mean do you just tackle the part of the truck that needs the most attention first or what?

My ride is fairly typical of a 40+ year old truck rust, dents and generally just falling apart. Heck I can't even get it to pass inspection so I can get the title in my name! Should I just cut my loses and look for one in better shape?

Or slowly start fixing the things I can and then on the body, research and try to find someone to help?

Thanks for any input & advise.

Below is a link to this truck.

C20-67_N_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: '67 Resto project

Welcome to the board from a fellow Missourian.

Where do you live in Missouri? I live just south of Cape Girardeau about 25 miles.

In Missouri you do not have to get an inspection to put the title in your name, just to license it. When I got my '67 I just took the title from the previous owner to our local license bureau and told them I want to put it in my name and they did without any problem.

Mine is in pretty sad shape, my son and I put it together from 5 or 6 different year trucks. What I am going to do it is get it road worthy and then start the restoration. I live in the country on a small farm and like to be able to drive my trucks around on it from time to time to do chores.

Money and time can be a problem for a lot of us here on the board. What I do is look the truck over and find what it needs and buy the most important parts first to make it mechanically sound and then go on to the cosmetic stuff. I am sure others have a different approach they will share with you.

I have found I can get a lot of the mechanical parts at local parts stores and sheet metal I get from site vendors or from donor trucks.

Take your time and enjoy your new project. I find it is the journey that is sometimes more enjoyable not the destination.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.

Last edited by Shyguy; 12-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
Welcome to the board from a fellow Missourian.

Where do you live in Missouri? I live just south of Cape Girardeau about 25 miles.

In Missouri you do not have to get an inspection to put the title in your name, just to license it. When I got my '67 I just took the title from the previous owner to our local license bureau and told them I want to put it in my name and they did without any problem.

Danny

Thanks Danny.

I live just south of STL in Jefferson County.

My main concern is:

1). Fuel Tank is leaking.
2). Brakes hoses at the rear wheel are cracking. (among other brake related issues)
3). Also has gear lube coming out of the axles.
4). Major rust problem at the corners of the cab. (and yes I have seen corner patch panels for sale at places like LMC Trucks and others for this).
5). Etc, Etc on a old vehicle of this age.

But the cool factor is there even though it only has a 6 banger with a Powerglide tranny. I just want to get it restored in decent shape by this summer. But with limited body working experience not such if I can handle that part of the build.

But hey I am willing to learn!

Last edited by C20-67_N_MO; 12-10-2008 at 11:19 AM.
C20-67_N_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Shyguy

My son just finished a restoration on a '69 for his wife. He had no previous experience with body work, but had some welding experence.

He did not know that they make new floors for our trucks so he replaced the back lower half of the cab using a part from a donor truck, welded in new inner and outer rockers and a new driver's-side floor pan.

Some thing he learned from the experience is that it is better to have the front clip on the truck when welding in the inner and outer rockers to make sure they align with the front fenders and rear of the cab.

I have no experience at body work myself and have to replace both cab corners, inner and outer rockers and driver's-side floor pan. I have had some welding experience but a very, very long time ago and will either have to borrow a welder or buy one if funds allows.

When you are working on your truck don't hesitate to post questions on here and I am sure someone will help you. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

My truck is like I said earliner made up parts from 5 or 6 trucks. My son and I assembled it last summer. The short bed frame is from a '69 GMC I think, the running gear is from a '68 C-10, the cab and front clip is from a '67 C-20, the engine is from a 250 l6 from a '70 Chevelle, the transmission is a compound 4 speed from the original '67 C-20, the seats are out of an unknown year mini-van, the gas tank is out of a '71 C-10, the bed is a '68 short stepper (just bought it) and the tail-gate is from a '60-62 stepper. I probably missed some parts, but as you see our trucks can be constructed from many years. When I buy parts I have to remember what year and what vehicle they are from.

Here is a picture of the short step bed I picked up early last month. Of course it is not now on the truck in the picture and all the body work has been done on it, primered and wet sanded. I will try to get a picture of just the bed.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures and to ask questions.

Danny
Attached Images

'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcountry View Post
Thanks Danny.

I live just south of STL in Jefferson County.

My main concern is:

1). Fuel Tank is leaking.
2). Brakes hoses at the rear wheel are cracking. (among other brake related issues)
3). Also has gear lube coming out of the axles.
4). Major rust problem at the corners of the cab. (and yes I have seen corner patch panels for sale at places like LMC Trucks and others for this).
5). Etc, Etc on a old vehicle of this age.

But the cool factor is there even though it only has a 6 banger with a Powerglide tranny. I just want to get it restored in decent shape by this summer. But with limited body working experience not such if I can handle that part of the build.

But hey I am willing to learn!
Take it one step at a time. IMO, tackle them in this order:
1). Fuel Tank is leaking- Is it just the rubber lines, or the tank? If it is more than the rubber lines, pull it out and see if it can be fixed, or needs a new one. There is no use investing money in a truck that could catch fire and go up in flames. If not rusty and only leaking, many radiator hops will patch gas tanks if you take it out and take it to them loose

2). Start ironing out the brake issues. Replace the rear rubber hose, pull the hubs and check the rear wheel cylinders for leaks, replace shoes if needed. Later, do the same for the front.

3). Also has gear lube coming out of the axles.- Is it leaking at the wheel/ hub, or center section? If at the hub/ wheel, not a major deal, as you can pull the axles and replace them while you have the rear drums off working on the rear brakes

4). Tackle the rust issues last. The truck can still be safe and driveable even with rust, as long as it is only cosmetic rust, not cab mounts or anything structural.

Tackle one little thing at a time. Don't make the mistake of tearing the truck into a thousand pieces if this is your first build. That will make thing very intimidating, and 90% of people who do that lose interest and either catch so much hell from the wife for the mess and end up selling (at a loss) or end up watching it rot away in the back yard. Good luck!!! You will find a lot of help here, just ask!

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 12-10-2008 at 12:58 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I bought my truck in Nov. 99. Drove it until Oct. 07. Mechanically, it wasn't in bad shape when I bought it and it has been steadily improved upon ever since I bought it.

The body looked good, too. It wasn't until the guy who was to do the body/paint came down with Lymphoma that I had to start doing with it what he was going to do...and for which he had already been paid somewhat (not going to discuss this, right now). My firewall had some rust issue along the drip rail that is above the engine. Previous owner had daubed some non-automotive sealant in and it rusted from behind the silicone sealer. It became apparent that "disassembly" was going to be a major event. It is on-going as we speak. Suffice it to say, that this is my third time to restore/restify a vehicle and at my age, it ain't any easier. So, while you are young is the time to get it done. The adage to buy the best body and then worry about the mechanicals is always good advice, but sometimes what you see ISN'T what you get!

Good luck and Welcome to the Board from the Heart of Arkansas.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Tallcountry, that is a great looking start. Best of luck with the rebuild, and be sure to watch the parts board for anything that you might need.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote