The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2002, 01:06 AM   #1
jeffbo
D.U.F. Member

Back Window Installation

Could anyone tell me how to remove and install a back window in one of our trucks. I want to pull the 1 piece window out of my '68 parts truck and relace the slider in my '72 with it. Both windows have the chrome trim around them. Is this very hard to do. What tools/supplies do I need? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

'72 C-10 LWB Highlander, A/C, tilt TH350 w/ B&M shift kit, 327LJ bored .040", cast flattops, forged crank, L31 Vortecs, 9.25:1 CR, Comp conical valvesprings, Crane Energizer single pattern 216/.454", Professional Products Power Plus Crosswind intake, Edelbrock #1406 600cfm, HEI, dual exhaust, open 3.08 12bolt
'68 C-10 4spd (not running)
'79 C-10 LWB Mild 350
'80 Caprice Classic, 2-dr
'97 GMC K-1500, SWB, Reg. Cab, Z-71, 5.7, Auto
jeffbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:20 AM   #2
bigvinnie

it really takes 2 people to do it right... use a utility knife to cut the weatherstrip around the entire window from inside the cab, then push the window out.... you need to support the weatherstripping on the outside along the bottom while doing this to prevent the weatherstripping from drooping and bending your stainless trim... happened to me so I know all about it...

Another way to protect the stainless trim is to duct tape the weatherstripping to the window before you start...

have it installed professionally cuz if they break it, they buy you another one...

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 12-04-2002 at 01:22 AM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:19 AM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I took mine out by myself using a putty knife and a bunch of tongue depressers. Work from the inside slide the putty knife under the rubber piece and then replace it with a tongue depresser. Work around one end and start toward the middle. By the time you get to the middle you will be able to pull the entire window and rubber molding out in one piece. Putting it back requires two people and a 1/8 inch diameter line...I did this with my 15 year old daughter and had never seen it done before. When you are ready to replace it post again and we can walk you through that. I believe the windshield is harder but the rear window is a piece of cake.

Beware on the pros if you ask them to put in YOUR glass they will not warranty it! If it breaks...you buy new glass from them! If they break their own glass they will pay for it. Ask about this and read the fine print. One board member was burned on this issue already. If it is your own glass you are putting back in...go for it! I will try my own windshield next...I have nothing to lose really...the rear glass was easy!

BTW...I did not cut my molding and reused it! Soften it up with WD40 for a couple of days. I used soapy water when I reinstalled it.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 12-04-2002 at 02:23 AM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:03 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I use a hook tool to install the rubber set glass(cotterpin puller), & soap it up good. The rope trick works good also, my method was just the way i was taught when i did auto glass. You need to get the bottom in first, & as you go have a helper pat the glass on the outside to seat it. No worries on the rear glass, its tempered, & pretty d@mn tough! The windsheilds are a bear to install in these trucks tho..... good luck,Crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
Tbone68GMCV-6

yeah, me and my dad put in back glass in his '88 s-15 with the rope trick. it worked very well and after we installed it, I pushed the glass in and it seemed to set itself rather solidly. Maybe now I'll be a little more careful with firewood!! Don't know about putting glass in one of these trucks though.
goodluck, im about to do the same to my 68, so ill need a little luck too!!

It's been "my truck" since I was young enough to love it.
Tbone68GMCV-6 is offline   Reply With Quote