The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
britnjc

1950 Guages Help

I am in a bit of a dilemna. I am going to be installing the guages back in my truck in the next few weeks. What I have is a set of the original guages that came out that are in need of some cleaning up and new stickers etc. and I also have a set of new dolphine guages I bought to put in the truck. I really like the look of the stock guages maybe a little bit more than the dolphin. How hard is it to get the guages to work with my 4.3 ltr V6 and fuel injection to get the right speed and gas level. I have a new sending unit for the dolphin guages for the fuel tank. Just something I am trying to go ahead and work out in my head before I get to the point of install.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1950 Guages Help

Classic instruments (and no doubt some others) can retrofit the gages with new works inside. http://www.classicinstruments.com/in...ntID=retrofits

I'd hate to guess what it would cost though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
dan42

Not to be anal, but it's 'gauges' guys -
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
britnjc

we are a bunch of truck builders here, not english majors. i make more typos than your average joe. guess thats why i went into engineering
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
mr48chev

Oops firefox didn't catch that one. Guess we are going to have to stay after school and write "Gauges" on the blackboard 100 times each britnjc. And I'm usually pretty cautious about spelling too.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I'll get started on this, but I don't know all the answers. Hopefully someone else can fill in the details.

Fuel gauge will depend on the tank you're using. Two issues here, 6 volt to 12. And there was a resistance change with the newer sending units. Both issues can be solved with the proper resistors.

Temperature gauge is mechanical. If your gauge still works, you will need a fitting adapter will be needed.

Ammeter is not dependent of voltage, but requires all of the charging current to flow through gauge. This is taken care of by the proper wiring harness.

Speedometer will depend on the transmission you use. If your tranny has an electronic sending unit, I don't think there is a solution. If mechanical, you can buy usually get adapters to go from the newer threads to the old. The speedometer gear will need to be figured out, and will be dependent on your differential gear ratio and your tire size.

Like I said, I'm just trying to get answers started. Please make corrections and fill in the blanks.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote