The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Wannabebad

Mustang 2 Power Steering

Hello,

We are worn out from trying to move the truck around some today as its nearing being road worthy. The problem is the manual rack it SUCKS when your moving in tight quarters. We havent the slightest idea what all we need to convert to a power steering setup. Can someone tell me or point me in a direction that will show me all I need? I have done some searching on here and have read some about the GM pumps putting out too high psi for the mustang rack causing twitchy steering. If you could list what I need (complete) and a source for parts.

48 Chevy w/must 2 and a 350...
Wannabebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
buildinga55

Re: Mustang 2 Power Steering

I have the same question. My power rack was already in the truck with the mustang 2 frontend installed. I am a ways from putting in the 350, but will have PS as well. I have read about a regulator that looked like it mounted in line somewhere on the PS hoses. But I am interested in the details of this setup as well.
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
MrTucker

not trying to be a smartass, but why not buy a power rack for a MII? It's a $150 upgrade available when ordering your MII, so I'd think you could just purchase it...

If you know what brand your MII is, contact that company. I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
hotrodsbyray

You can use the GM pump with the f**d power rack. Several of the street rod companies sell a new spring that fits in the back of the pump where the line comes in. I have never done it but swapping out for the new spring looks pretty easy. Check some of the street rod and custom magazine sites for info - might also try HAMB site.
There are also adapters I think to use later model racks which can handle the pressure the GM pump puts out - Fatman Fabrications site has some info on that - I think.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote