The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
jkeady

Low-n-tow: lower and keep 8 lug brakes/wheels?

Hi all,

I asked a similar question to this about two years ago. Got busy with life, haven't had much chance to work on the truck, but the bug is biting and I am hoping maybe something's changed in two years.

I have a '70 Custom Camper / 20, 2wd, power drums front and rear, leaf springs in back, stock suspension. The front sits a little lower than the back, I don't know if they all do that or if the front springs are worn out, or what. Here's what I want to do:

Upgrade to newer 3/4 ton disc brakes AND lower the front an inch and the rear 2 or 3 inches. Keep in mind, I want to use this truck for towing, so: want to keep 8-lug wheels, do not want to C-notch the frame.

Has anything come along in the last couple of years to make this easier? When I last asked, no one really had any 3/4 ton front end lower solution other than to cut coils (not gonna happen), and it was speculated that I might be able to mod my rear spring shackles to give me a little more drop without doing a spring-under conversion and C-notching.

Basically:

*Want to convert drums to discs
*Want to lower 1" front / 3" rear
*Do NOT want to lose 8-lug wheels
*Do NOT want to C-notch

What's a boy to do? Thanks again,

Josh

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Low-n-tow: lower and keep 8 lug brakes/wheels?

honestly, the best way to do all this, would be air bags.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,bags on front wouls allow "adjustable" height w/o giving up load capacity.You don`t need to go all out with a compressor.Just run shraeder valves where you can ill them or air out.They make bags to replave coils.Do you have coils or leafs in the rear?It seems most CustomCampers opted for leaf suspension.If not,bags again.If leaf,there are longer shackles to drop a bit,but limited.There are frame brackets made for`73-ups to locate springs upward to lower.There are lowering leafs that I`m sure would be light duty.But,you could use auxilary bags to increase capacity when towing.
To me,it would be trick as heck to have a tow vehicle that can ride low,then go into tow/haul mode when there`s work to be done.You could actually end up with a better tow rating whils having a cooler truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
tucnnuts
if they can make it so can I!

just to ask , if you cant find a lowering spring out there some where ....why dont you want to cut off a round? , with a cut off wheel, as long as you dont use a torch, no heat...it has worked for me ...and drop shackels in the back...just me thinking!!! you think you might could change over to the newer 88 3/4ton model spindles ...get disc brakes and might could find a drop spindles too..!!!!
tucnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
spinning wheels

The least expensive way to lower the back of the truck, would be to have the leafs rearched. Check with a local truck or suspension shop. It isn't that expensive compared to purchasing aftermarket leafs or installing air bags.
I meet a site member a while back, that did the same upgrades that you are planning on doing. He really liked the end results.

You can check out the aftermarket leafs at CPP's website.

Besides being less expensive, you can get a better ride when not loaded or towing.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I`ve paid around $200 to have springs re-arched and leaf added.Not sure what de-arching costs.Should be a bit less since they`re not giving you 2 leafs.But,that`s been awhile.That`s with them doing the R & R.

The thing with the bags is for your dollar you gain variable capacity w/o sacrificing ride and increasing payload capability.They don`t cost that much,either.Especially,compared to changing f/e components.Cutting springs reduces payload capacity and would bottom easier than stock.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-16-2009 at 05:56 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
cadillacart
1972 C/20

This is what I want to do. I never really thought about towing / hauling on bags. Are there heavy duty ones available?

Subscribed!
cadillacart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Figment412

Here is just a quick example, bags to 5,600 pounds. http://www.airbagit.com/Air_Bags_s/23.htm

1968 GMC short bed
1972 Cab
74 SB Chevy running gear
Figment412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
mycool72

I hope those are only examples...please go with a name brand bag if towing...
mycool72 is offline   Reply With Quote