The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
John Pasinski

Air Compressor

I have to get a new air compressor. I'm using a 30 gal. & it's worked to death.
I see a lot of 60 gal. on Craigslist (they're in my price range) and some 80 gal. (a little too expensive). What do you guys use? Will a 60 gal. run air tools w/o continuously turning on & off?
John Pasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Air Compressor

It depends upon what you call "air tools". Some are much greater air-hogs than others and some are just used it short bursts, where others are more "continuous".
Impact guns and air ratchets are usually less hoggish.
Sanders, die grinders and spray guns will tax a "medium sized" compressor.

The most important factors in compressors are CFM rating and duty cycle.
(How much air it can pump and how long the motor can run safely)

What it comes down to is pretty simple. A pump that can flow/compress more air in less time takes a more powerful motor to turn it.
The Duty Cycle is usually expressed as a percentage %. That precentage is the amount of time per hour that the motor can run w/o having "off time" to cool down.
This is where people get into trouble by trying to "add" extra tanks to their system. Yes, they get more total stored air volume...but the motor has to run too long to fill it up. This is hard on the motor and it creates a lot of heat in the air itself. When this hot air cools the humidity in the air condenses back into water....which sits in the tank, or blows through your tools, or onto your project. Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Good explanation Longhair. I need a new compressor if I want to learn how to paint.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
John Pasinski

Thanks longhair. But I will have read, and re-read.....AND RE-READ your explanation in order to my brain to grasp that! I really appreciate it.
John Pasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
tires2burn

I have a 5HP 2-stage ingersol rand and it gets the job done. I would buy the largest one you can afford. It always seems that down the road a ways we always need more power. BIGGER IS BETTER.
tires2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

as for quality, the heavier the better. avoid the oil free ones like the plague. they are designed for occasional use only. ie: a tire every other month or so, or 5 lugs nuts twice a year.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Just a little input here...

I run an Ingersoll Rand unit in my powdercoating shop. I flat beat the tar out of that thing every day. I mean, the thing will run maybe 5 plus hours per day. It's a 100 percent duty cycle unit, so it's supposed to be okay with that.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, it blew a head gasket. I called the 1-800 help number on the sticker and talked to an honest to God English speaking woman in the good old U S of A. She helped me find the part numbers I needed for the gaskets and then switched me to the order desk where I was then assisted by a, you guessed it, English speaking person. No run around whatsoever. I gave them the serial number and they gave me what I needed. I had the parts in my hand in 4 days. I had to pay for the gaskets since the warranty is long expired, but I don't care about that. I care that when that compressor is down, my work flow screeches to a stop. They got me back online ASAP.

In this day of off shore crap with no backing by the manufacturer, it was a very welcome relief and it made me a very loyal customer to IR.

You're not going to get that kind of service from a Campbell Housefield or similar offshore brand.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 05-25-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote