The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
primernovaben

67 c10 big block swap

hi im ben i live near seattle and im new to the forum. i have a 67 c10 (im told its a camper special) 283 with a granny gear 4 speed. its used as my tow rig for my 72 nova. the 283 blew up and i have a 454 about ready to go in its place. heres what i dont know:
will my frame mounts work with the 454?
will i be able to use the same clutch linkage or should i go th400

everything is on a super tight budget so i would like to use as many of the same parts as possible.

thanks guys
PNB
primernovaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
primernovaben

Re: 67 c10 big block swap

so no one knows?

i checked out the project karma 71 build thread and i think i got my answers so its ok anyways
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
primernovaben

well i want to spike some interest here incase i end up with more questions so ill put some pics up so you can see what im workin with. im figureing i can go tubular mounts with headers and have no clearance issues the only thing im worried about is my clutch linkage and where it bolts to the block so if anyone knows about sb-bb truck clutch linkage info that would be awesome!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Dano69c10

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but just had to say your truck is cool!

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
frostbyte

I discovered on my 68 gmc small block to big block conversion I had to buy the Big block motor mounts then trim the frame to allow the mounts to sit in the proper location. This was needed to allow clearance for the harmonic balancer to cross member and the clutch fan to the radiator. I was lucky enough to compare a stock 68 truck with a factory big block for these suttle differences. I also had to relocate the transmission crossmember holes in the frame because I swapped between the 3 speed trans to the TH 400 transmission.
frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
I discovered on my 68 gmc small block to big block conversion I had to buy the Big block motor mounts then trim the frame to allow the mounts to sit in the proper location. This was needed to allow clearance for the harmonic balancer to cross member and the clutch fan to the radiator. I was lucky enough to compare a stock 68 truck with a factory big block for these suttle differences. I also had to relocate the transmission crossmember holes in the frame because I swapped between the 3 speed trans to the TH 400 transmission.
thanks for replys guys
based on project karma the 71 build im watchin, i think i can score those tubular mounts and they will make it so everything will work. im gonna go with a electric fan setup just cause its easier clearance-wise. im keeping the granny geared 4 speed cause its nice for towing and its so freakin cool.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
capev86

i'd say keep with the 4 speed. the granny gear with a 454 in the front....you will be able to put a real highway friendly gear in the back and then 4th will be like overdrive. i have a 3 on the tree and plan to replace the 307sb with a 406sb. the 4.56 rear gears will be going in favor of a 3.73 set, perhaps even before i do the engine swap. i want to keep the peculiar column shifted trans so 3.73 gears is the best compromise between highway cruising and trailer towing. its fun having a stick but convenient like an auto. i don't have an auto trans or a/c to tax my cooing system but i still want to get a 4 row radiator for serious towing duties. you could go easily get away with the 3.07 gear that was available on 1/2 ton trucks. my burb is a 3/4 ton 2wd so the best i could get is a 3.54 but it has bigger tires than a 1/2 ton so it shouldn't be too bad with 3.73 gears. that 4.56 makes me think i'm going 95 when i'm going 45!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
primernovaben

been a long time since i posted but the motor is assembled i just need pulleys water pump and i can fire it up. gonna toss er in this weekend so i can set up the exhaust and make sure its gonna clear everything. i got a new gas tank cause mine was rusted out inside too.
heres a couple engine pics incase anyone cares

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
primernovaben

ITS IN!!!!!! god it was f'in rough gettin the trans mounted up to the motor. then gettin the trans mount bolts in, then gettin the top trans plate on, then getting the headers in.. but its in now. gotta still figure a few things out
my brake lines are kinda close to the driver side header (how close is too close?), get a new temp gauge cause mine crumbled when i went to put it in, get a new u joint, an adapter for oil pressure gauge, figure out clutch linkage get some shims for the water pump pulley install new gas tank and run new fuel line then i think im ready to prime and fire the sucker

enough typing here are some pics

it almost looks like it belongs there

no one can guess what lies beneath
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Average Joe

Cool swap. I like the truck too. Do you have any pictures of the cluth linkage around the headers? I've got a '67 Suburban with a 4 speed and currently a 283 and have thought about a big block swap as well. Whoops just saw your installed motor and saw the clutch rod thru the firewall. What brand of headers are you running?

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843

Last edited by Average Joe; 10-09-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spoke too soon
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Cool swap. I like the truck too. Do you have any pictures of the cluth linkage around the headers? I've got a '67 Suburban with a 4 speed and currently a 283 and have thought about a big block swap as well. Whoops just saw your installed motor and saw the clutch rod thru the firewall. What brand of headers are you running?
i got the summit brand headers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9011/

also i had to shorten my clutch rod 1.6" and move the mount on the frame back just over an inch for it to work around the headers. i read somewhere you have to use the tube motor mounts for the headers to work and it wouldnt work with manifolds... or so i read. yeah, twist my arm to use headers right? other than that it went in half decent.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
redneck6

what did you use for mounts i am putting a 454 in a 66 c10 , i am having no luck finding motor mounts . and the search fucton is not working . my 454 and th400 are out of a 84 winabago if that helps and the 66 had a small block and power glide . thank you in advace .
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck6 View Post
what did you use for mounts i am putting a 454 in a 66 c10 , i am having no luck finding motor mounts . and the search fucton is not working . my 454 and th400 are out of a 84 winabago if that helps and the 66 had a small block and power glide . thank you in advace .
here is a thread i referenced for the mount question:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276098

and here are the mounts i used. http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...cat=455&page=1 they are referenced in the thread above but here is a qiuck link. i had to trim a little bit of the top of the frame to make them fit but theyre really nice and having the "clamshell" mounts when i but the big block in. i do have to re-route the brake line cause its wayyyy to close to the header but other than that it fits like a big block
Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #14
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento70 View Post
see: above. what else would you like to have a pic of? my wicked awesome welds on my exhaust? or my new gas tank that i painted beautifully and then scratched the crap out of putting it in?

Last edited by primernovaben; 10-12-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
redneck6

is there a cheaper option , like i can get from vato zone or kragen . ask me something bout jeeps or wheeling i am gloden the whole old truck slow and low thing has me lost . i read that other tread and it says i should have to change my towers , but not to what i want a cheaper bolt in answer . also the th400 i got with the 454 has a bolt on yoke not a slip yoke . any one know what the yoke on a 66 corp 12 bolt is what series ujoint . sorry bout highjacking ur tread and truck is looking bad arse.
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
mcbassin
Still Learning

Neat project! I used to have several big block mounts. I never thought they would have much value. I guess I should have kept them. Have you tried Ebay and the parts area on this board? good luck!
BTW,
You can never have too many pics on your thread!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #18
Film Guy

You are not a paid subscriber. You are not allowed to offer parts for sale. Please re=read the rules. Thanks

Last edited by fine69; 10-26-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by primernovaben View Post
see: above. what else would you like to have a pic of? my wicked awesome welds on my exhaust? or my new gas tank that i painted beautifully and then scratched the crap out of putting it in?
sorry my man my computer wasn't showing the pics properly, i see them now, cool truck, not trying to step on any toes here
Old 10-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck6 View Post
is there a cheaper option , like i can get from vato zone or kragen . ask me something bout jeeps or wheeling i am gloden the whole old truck slow and low thing has me lost . i read that other tread and it says i should have to change my towers , but not to what i want a cheaper bolt in answer . also the th400 i got with the 454 has a bolt on yoke not a slip yoke . any one know what the yoke on a 66 corp 12 bolt is what series ujoint . sorry bout highjacking ur tread and truck is looking bad arse.
you can always hit up craigslist to see whats on there i know a guy here in seattle area is always parting out some 67 - 72s and has many bb parts but i dont know bout the rest of the country. the biggest thing with me is that i have a four speed and to keep it im pretty sure this is the only route i could have gone. if i got factory mounts i would have had to trim them for the headers cause exhaust manifolds would interfere with the clutch linkage. so i was able to run these tube mounts ( which also make it possible to access the front of the starter from up top, if you have skinny a$$ arms ) and run headers with no clearance issues, besides the factory routing of my brake lines. as far as u joint just go to the zone or schmucks/kragen/oreilly/mercedes/checkers/ or whatever theyre calling themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento70 View Post
sorry my man my computer wasn't showing the pics properly, i see them now, cool truck, not trying to step on any toes here
no toes stepped on fella just want to make sure that if anyone has questions as to how i got this motor in the truck, i would be able to answer them and show proof that its not all smoke and mirrors ooh van halen smiley

Last edited by primernovaben; 10-16-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #21
lovnthe70

will those tubular mounts work with stock 454 manifolds? i am doing a 350 to 454 swap and have gathered everything but these dang towers.

DONT GIVE ME NO JIBBA JABBA!!!
lovnthe70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnthe70 View Post
will those tubular mounts work with stock 454 manifolds? i am doing a 350 to 454 swap and have gathered everything but these dang towers.
they will work with manifolds unless you have a four speed like mine does. also i dont exactly know how the auto trans shifter linkage was routed but if its a column shift, i would check where it is and if its anything like my clutch linkage i would change to a floor shift, hell id just get a truck megashifter for it anyways and call it good
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #23
lovnthe70

nice!!! that is good to know because i just put those brackets on order and spent 4 hours getting broken studs out of those old manifolds!! mabey i should have bought a better tap and dye set! did you run into any other problems when you did the swap?? it seems pretty straight foward, i got all the doner parts and v belt system off of another engine that was shot for cheap so i think i have everyting in order. since i have all this time to think about it i feel like im forgeting something!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
primernovaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnthe70 View Post
nice!!! that is good to know because i just put those brackets on order and spent 4 hours getting broken studs out of those old manifolds!! mabey i should have bought a better tap and dye set! did you run into any other problems when you did the swap?? it seems pretty straight foward, i got all the doner parts and v belt system off of another engine that was shot for cheap so i think i have everyting in order. since i have all this time to think about it i feel like im forgeting something!!!
well i think that 67 was a weird year cause its the first of its body style so it shares parts with the previous gen. everything went in like it should although useing a long pump made little to no room for my electric fan. your 70 should have come with a long pump and should be all set to go.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
lovnthe70

yeah i took the engine out of an 82 and it has a long pump, i am going to try to run the stock fan setup so hopefully i have enough room. Thanks for the help.