The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
BBChevy71

Question 71 3 speed column linkage "swivel parts"?

Hey folks,

I have a 1971 Chevy C10 pickup, BB 402 engine, 3 speed manual transmission with shifter on the column. I have been looking for some parts for my truck but I cannot even find the name of the parts, and I went to a dealer that had a parts manual printed in 1979 that was supposed to cover the 71's. But the dealer manual didn't have a diagram that showed the area we were looking for so (in my model year) I can't even (for sure) get GM part numbers much less names although we did guess that some part numbers might be right. I hope that you can help me in some way to track down these parts or know the proper name so I know how to ask for them.

I'm just a tinkerer but hopefully I can give a description of what I'm looking for. The two shift linkage rods from the transmission come up to the two plates on the column that are moved by the shift lever. The linkage rods join these plates with a swivel mechanism on the end of each rod where the rod slides up through a hole in the swivel. Each swivel will actually detach from the column with a 9/16" nut and then slide off the top of the linkage rods.

It is this swivel and all the washers, bushings, etc. that go on the swivel that I am interested in. The problem with my truck is that some of the parts on these swivels are missing (or have been rigged) so the rods slide in the swivel when I try to shift. Because it has been rigged in the past (it was my grandfather's truck long ago and he worked at a county school bus shop), I don't even know what the stuff on these swivels should even look like and how they tighten down to hold the linkage rods in place. Each of the two on it now are differently set up, although one looks like it may be they way it should be (except for being worn out).

So in summary, I'm looking for these two swivels and all the washers, clamp pieces, bushings, etc. go on them so the linkage rods won't slide. If you have a picture (or know where I can find a picture) that shows me what they *should* look like that would be great, too!

If it would help to see what was on there I can post a picture tomorrow of what I took off the truck when my 2nd/3rd gear rod slid out and I broke down.

Thanks. - David
BBChevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: 71 3 speed column linkage "swivel parts"?

my truck was a 3speed and I have everything we took off in a box..post picts and maybe I can help you...The stuff is in my shop...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Adjusting swivel clamps and trunnion jam nuts!!!

You may like reading Green Machine's FAQ thread here on adjusting these things, too, if you haven't already. It was much more helpful for me than just reading the manual!!!

I wanted to attach a Pontiac version of the manual for ya, but the size is bigger than the limit for PDFs...if you trust me with your email PM it and I'll send it to ya!

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
71 super

They are the same swivels used on automatic trucks if you can find two auto trucks in a yard with linkage intact grab them. I may have an extra or two here you can have if no one else can help you.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Big block with three on the tree, I dont think Ive ever heard of that. I always associate them with sixes or small eights.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Mark B

I had the same challenge as you with worn out bushings on the levers. I eventually found original rubber replacements, but before I got those (I never even put them in) I was able to fix it myself. How I did this was to go to Lowe's hardware section and buy a handful of nylon bushings. With one slid inside the other, the combined inside and outside diameters are perfect. So in effect two bushing replace one original. The bushing were about an inch or so in lenght, so I used a hack saw and file to shorten them to fit. This has worked just fine for a year. That and doing the adjustment process refered to in another post made it work almost perfect.
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
71 super

I have heard of a couple of bb three speed trucks and seen one. It is a rare combo for sure. There is also a rumor of a 2 bbl big block truck offered in 69, but have never seen it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
BBChevy71

Hey thanks for all the replies. I've been out of pocket with an illness for awhile so sorry I haven't followed up on my original post.

I have attached a diagram that has the area I'm interested in with a red line around it, if anyone has any picks of theirs. I know it seems stupid that I'm asking since I have a parts diagram, but the diagram says it is for '63-65 and one of my swivels doesn't look the same as in the diagram. Of course, I think it has been fixed in the past at the bus shop with whatever was available, so if anyone has a decent pick of what this area actually looks like on their truck it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm particularly interested in the detail of the swivels and how they are mounted. In the picture I've attached, one of the swivels is threaded on both ends. But, my truck doesn't have that one threaded on both ends. It has two that are only threaded on one end. Also, one of them has been drilled and fitted with an allen screw I guess because the cup that holds the shifter rod in place is missing.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
ratrod67

Here are a couple pics of my 70's linkage.
Attached Images

ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
BBChevy71

Dang ratrod67, those pics are great. Exactly what I needed to see. Thanks from me and my father-in-law!

I think I can use that to find the parts I need.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
joeb

Hello,

I was looking for some info on a manual shifter linkage when I ran across your post. I read this and others. However, I am interested to know where you got the diagram of the shifter linkage.

Is this out of a manual? online?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBChevy71 View Post
Hey thanks for all the replies. I've been out of pocket with an illness for awhile so sorry I haven't followed up on my original post.

I have attached a diagram that has the area I'm interested in with a red line around it, if anyone has any picks of theirs. I know it seems stupid that I'm asking since I have a parts diagram, but the diagram says it is for '63-65 and one of my swivels doesn't look the same as in the diagram. Of course, I think it has been fixed in the past at the bus shop with whatever was available, so if anyone has a decent pick of what this area actually looks like on their truck it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm particularly interested in the detail of the swivels and how they are mounted. In the picture I've attached, one of the swivels is threaded on both ends. But, my truck doesn't have that one threaded on both ends. It has two that are only threaded on one end. Also, one of them has been drilled and fitted with an allen screw I guess because the cup that holds the shifter rod in place is missing.

Thanks!
joeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
BBChevy71

It has been so long ago I honestly can't remember where I got the diagram I remember getting a photocopy from an old parts manual at a Chevy dealership so it might be a scan of that. I also bought a digitized parts manual on CD so it might be from that.

I've since switched it to automatic transmission so I haven't had to worry about it any more
Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
jammer3096

Anyone know where I can buy one of the swivel clamps and trunnion jam nuts new? Thanks.
jammer3096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
BBChevy71

For my part, I don't know where you can find them but when I was looking for parts I asked around at Chevy dealerships until I found one that had the old manuals. (This was a few years ago now...)

I went there trying to find part numbers and they looked them up for me and could also still look them up to find out if any dealers in GA had them. The lady working the parts counter had been there a long time and was *very* helpful. They found some of the small parts at various dealers. Of course the shipping would have cost more than the parts

My wife was worried about driving the truck because of the occasional shifter hangups so I finally had it converted to an automatic with a tilt column.

I don't know if you are interested in going this route of contacting dealers, or whether or not they still have a lookup system for old parts, but if you do the name of this dealer was Hardy Chevrolet in Dallas, GA.

HTH