The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
burntove
'59 pache

another tv cable question

I also have a question about the tv cable on my set up. I have a 92' LO5 5.7 w/ 700r 4 that I switched over to a Holly 600. I purchased the throttle linkage and cable bracket kit from Holly for the 700r.When I removed the engine and trans I left the tv cable in the original position, when I installed the holly carb and the kit the cable is now to long I haven't tried to adjust the cable yet, my question is can I just crimp a new stop on the cable so that it would be in the original position from the factory, or do I do the adjustment?
Attached Images

burntove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: another tv cable question

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntove View Post
I also have a question about the tv cable on my set up. I have a 92' LO5 5.7 w/ 700r 4 that I switched over to a Holly 600. I purchased the throttle linkage and cable bracket kit from Holly for the 700r.When I removed the engine and trans I left the tv cable in the original position, when I installed the holly carb and the kit the cable is now to long I haven't tried to adjust the cable yet, my question is can I just crimp a new stop on the cable so that it would be in the original position from the factory, or do I do the adjustment?
Theres probably not enough adjustment on the cable housing. To be sure press the D shaped buttom and pull the cable housing toward the firewall all the way. I bet the cable will still be too long. The "factory setting" is not relevant it should be reset anytime anything is changed.

If you want to make this cable work, your on the right track with crimping a new end on. You just got to make sure you got adjustment both ways after you crimp the end on.

1. Move the cable housing adjustment to appoximately center
2. Unhook the cable from the carb
3. Slide the plastic end clip down the cable
4. Cut the metal end off the cable
5. Slide your new crimp shot down the cable
6. Clamp some locking pliers on the end of the cable
7. Hook the cable back to the carb
8. Rotate the throttle lever to WOT (have someone hold it there)
9. Using the pliers pull the cable tight but not hard enough to move the adjuster, just enough to bottem the throttle valve spring
10. While keeping the cable tight, Push the crimp shot against the plastic end & crimp it.
11. Let off the throttle
12. Press the D shaped buttom and pull the cable housing toward the firewall all the way (again)
13. Rotate the throttle lever to WOT, You will have to use some force.

This will set the TV cable at WOT. Your set up looks good and you can make it work but it will never be perfect. If you want perfection buy this http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=217

Last edited by clinebarger; 05-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
burntove
'59 pache

Thank you ,I will go ahead per your instructions, I wish I would have asked before I bought the Holly kit, but maybe this will work for me.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntove View Post
Thank you ,I will go ahead per your instructions, I wish I would have asked before I bought the Holly kit, but maybe this will work for me.
I hope it will. I strongly recommend use of a pressure gauge to verify the TV spring is not too short. This is the reason the kit in the link has a TV sping included. Heres the procedure for checking for a wrong length TV spring.

Connect a 0-300 PSI pressure gauge to the transmissions pump diagnostic port located above the manual shifter shaft. Make sure the engine is warmed up and off the fast idle cam or circuit. With the engine at normal idle, the pressure should be at minimum regulated pressure or slightly higher. You can determine whether the TV valve is positioned correctly or not with the next two tests. Write down the minimum observed pressure at idle, disconnect the TV cable. If the pressure drops, if is normally safe to drive the vehicle. If drops a lot (over 3-4 lb.), something is not correct in your system. This condition is normally safe to drive but the transmission may perform unsatisfactorily. We call this condition, Long Spring Syndrome (LSS); If pressure didn't drop when you disconnected the TV cable, reconnect the cable; gently pull the inner wire cable without moving the throttle linkage. If you can gently pull the cable any distance without instant pressure rise, something is seriously wrong and you should identify the source of this condition which we call Short Spring Syndrome (SSS). This is potentially a very dangerous condition that can lead to rapid clutch failure.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
burntove
'59 pache

If this doesn't work I will be buying the kit you recommended.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
LEEVON

There is an adjustable TV cable from TCI where both the cable and sleeve adjust. It's a lifesaver.

And I second the pressure guage, I always use one. You're chances of setting up the TV without it and actually using the trans along time go up exponentially. It can have the right "feel" and shifting but once you hook up the guage you could realize that you actually had no pressure off-idle for a few hundred or more RPMs. This is why they burn up the clutch packs so quick.

I made a thread on here awhile back that has the factory pressures in each gear, that is the recommended procedure. A simple way to check though is just make sure there is maybe 3-4 pounds of pre-load at idle, then the needle instantly jumps at the slightest pull. That's esentially the same test as Clinebarger cited.

The other golden rule if you will is to make sure the length that the cable pulls by the carb linkage is the same as the TV plunger depth. Even with the corrector kits they are often too short or too long.

Last edited by LEEVON; 05-15-2010 at 11:18 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Thanks for that step-by step, CLINEBARGER

Hey, Leevon- great post to a great thread. Here's the link to your TV pressure question.

700R4 fluid pressures? from mid 2009

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!

Last edited by PhilaTruck; 05-16-2010 at 11:06 AM.
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
burntove
'59 pache

Were is the best place to purchase the pressure gauge?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

You can get that sort of thing at BTO's or TCI's web sites.

Here's BTO's page.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
C10Slim

Not to hijack but while we are getting good info, I am having a TV cable also. My problem is trying to adjust the cable. The instuctions say:

"Release the tab and rotate the throttle lever to WOT and the cable will self adjust itself as evidenced by a few audible clicks."

I can rotate mine to WOT and get no clicks and the slider doesn't move at all:
Attached Images

Last edited by C10Slim; 07-28-2010 at 09:34 PM.
C10Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10Slim View Post
Not to hijack but while we are getting good info, I am having a TV cable also. My problem is trying to adjust the cable. The instuctions say:

"Release the tab and rotate the throttle lever to WOT and the cable will self adjust itself as evidenced by a few audible clicks."

I can rotate mine to WOT and get no clicks and the slider doesn't move at all:
You have a "universal" TV cable. they are junk at best.

The bracket your using is bending instead of pulling the cable through the adjuster. If you insist on using this stuff....try moving the bracket closer to its mounting point (to help from bending that "offshore" chromed steel) & shorten the throttle cable & TV cable.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
LEEVON

Plus you need to be pushing down on the "D" tab on top of the cable housing to release the sleeve. Get a bracket like the one above, those cheap ones loosen and you will fry your trans.

Also full throttle are usually two different things at the pedal and at the linkage, keep this in mind...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Plus you need to be pushing down on the "D" tab on top of the cable housing to release the sleeve. Get a bracket like the one above, those cheap ones loosen and you will fry your trans.

Also full throttle are usually two different things at the pedal and at the linkage, keep this in mind...
I agree with WOT at the carb can be different from the throttle pedal.

You SHOULD NOT have to press the button to "help" the cable into the WOT adjustment. If something slips or breaks, thats another problem.