The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
mmmmoore24

The Streetcorner C/10 (aka Rebuild on a Shoestring)

Well, after looking through the very helpful pages and build threads here, and at the advice of some other members, I’ve decided to put this thread together about my 1970 LWB fleetside. I am looking to post progress when I can, and hopefully get some answers to questions and feedback from folks, since this is my first rebuild.

After looking through Craigslist for several months, and looking at any number of rotten, rotting, or soon-to-be-rotting trucks in the Virginia swamp, I came across this one sitting under a pecan tree about 30 miles outside Richmond. When I went to look at it, it had rust in the usual places, and it was missing a battery, but the guy said it would start right up. I told him I was interested if it ran, and the next day I went out to look again. He put a battery in it and it fired up, first crank. It had no brakes, so I had the guy tow it all the way into town and park it on the street in front of my house. Cost, all told: $900.

The truck has a 307 (haven’t verified this based on serial number), and used to have a three-speed column shift, which was moved to the floor. The previous owner had it painted from the original green with white cab to the two-tone grey and black. Weirdly, the cab was painted under the seat but not under the floor mats (more on this later).

So here’s the situation with the truck: it’s a running V8, and I’m slowly putting the electronics back together and trying to get it on the road again. I’m not a mechanic/electrician/welder, and I’m basically trying to fix this thing up on the side of the road, for as cheap as I can, so I’m not really looking to make it a show truck or anything. But I would like to have it back on the road instead of sitting under a tree in the back yard!

Over the summer I got some things done on the truck:
Replaced the air filter (old one was burnt) and crankcase breather (old one was melted)

Changed the oil (this was a MUCH bigger PITA than I thought it would be)

Inspected & cleaned the rear light assemblies and grounds (except license plate light)

Registered the thing as an antique (thanks to my so-called neighbor for turning me in to the cops!)

Replaced passenger door, including glass, vent window, regulators, and lock mechanism

Replaced oil dipstick tube (old one was broken where it enters the block), as well as battery box (including grinding, rusto & spray paint)

Started working on the floors (this may be a bear of a job)

Removed the cowl (see picture #3) and antenna mounting stuff to clean out leaves and garbage that have built up (including the mouse nest – every truck seems to have one!).
Attached Images

mmmmoore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: The Streetcorner C/10 (aka Rebuild on a Shoestring)

Sounds like a fun project. I'm local so if you ever have a question let me know...also have a garage full of new and used parts for these trucks if you're ever missing anything....most of the stuff is for sale but I have buckets of misc bolts and brackets for free also if you're needing anything.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
mmmmoore24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Sounds like a fun project. I'm local so if you ever have a question let me know...also have a garage full of new and used parts for these trucks if you're ever missing anything....most of the stuff is for sale but I have buckets of misc bolts and brackets for free also if you're needing anything.
Thanks, man - you may remember me, by the way. I bought a pair of inner rocker panels from you, as well as upper radiator supports and a few other miscellaneous things. So I will probably (definitely) be talking to you again as I work on this thing more and more!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
mmmmoore24

So a little more about the truck and the work I got done over the summer. Most of what I did during July and August was cleaning the leaves, pine needles, loose rusty metal, and other junk out of the cab and the parts of the engine bay that I could reach. Very satisfying, even though the cleaning sometimes revealed scary-looking metal! Anyway, here is the interior after the seat was removed (floor mats still in place) – I cleaned the floor of the cab and the back cab corners and replaced the seat.

Not bad, you say? Well, once I replaced the seat, I looked under the floor mats to find…

Nooooooo! I’m not sure why this surprised me, but it was a little discouraging to see so much rust in the floor. Also, it was strange to see the original green paint in the front of the cab, but not under the seat. Seems like it would be much easier to paint the front of the cab than to pull the seat and belt anchors and paint the back.

After removing the floor mats, this is what the metal looks like. Transmission tunnel is in pretty good shape (thicker metal maybe), but the rest of it will be a bit of a challenge.

More cleanup around the truck revealed the required mouse nest in the driver's side fresh air vent:

More on the way...
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmoore24 View Post
Thanks, man - you may remember me, by the way. I bought a pair of inner rocker panels from you, as well as upper radiator supports and a few other miscellaneous things. So I will probably (definitely) be talking to you again as I work on this thing more and more!
now I do Looking forward to following along on the build!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
mmmmoore24

Next step was to get some window glass in the passenger side, since the original was broken when I bought it. After looking up replacement prices ($50-$100 - yikes!), I went to the local yard and found this donor truck with one passenger window sitting loose in the door. Cost: $20

...except later I found a local guy with two matching doors in much better shape than mine, and with glass already installed, so I picked them up for $50 each. A little effort in the shop and some tricky work with two roadside/emergency jacks, and the new door is installed. Bam!

So now that I have a "security system" (aka two doors that actually lock, and windows in both doors), I've started working on some of the wiring issues and doing what I can in the engine bay.

First question: The temperature gauge isn’t working, so I tried to find the sending unit. So, is this the sending unit (passenger side, in behind exhaust manifold, and just ahead of the spark plug)?

If it is the sending unit, what are these two green wires about? The one on the right was wrapped up on top of the block around the carburetor, and the one on the left was dangling down by the transmission. When the ignition is on, the switch/lead on the right will click when grounded (to the block or manifold), but when attached to what I think is the sending unit, the gauge won’t spike or anything. Any ideas?

Second question: I have read about using 4:1 water:CLR mixture to remove surface rust. While most of the body is okay, the bed could use some work, and I’m wondering if anyone has done this with the bed before, or if there are other similar (read: cheap) ways of removing rust from the bed. In the long-term, I think I will be looking to replace the tailgate. The internals work fine, but the bottom of the gate is rusted out pretty good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

The plastic one on the left is the one that slips over the end of the sending unit.

I used the CLR method and it worked really well. It will re-rust if not sealed but it works well. Use a green scotchbrite to bite into the rust. If it's really bad up the amount/concentration of CLR
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

By the way, was that Circle auto or chesterfield auto or somewhere else? And how long ago? Looks like good bumper, grille, and fenders on it...
Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
mmmmoore24

Quote:
The plastic one on the left is the one that slips over the end of the sending unit.

I used the CLR method and it worked really well. It will re-rust if not sealed but it works well. Use a green scotchbrite to bite into the rust. If it's really bad up the amount/concentration of CLR
Good deal, thanks! I will give the CLR a try - any idea about the other connection in the photo? I haven't traced it to a harness or anything yet.

Quote:
By the way, was that Circle auto or chesterfield auto or somewhere else? And how long ago? Looks like good bumper, grille, and fenders on it...
Found that truck at Chesterfield Auto Parts, probably in mid-July. You can search their inventory (including Circle Auto Recycling): http://chesterfieldauto.com/cap/chosloc.php. I did a search and couldn't find that truck, but I haven't been out to the lot since July, so it could still be there.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

[QUOTE=mmmmoore24;4210106]Good deal, thanks! I will give the CLR a try - any idea about the other connection in the photo? I haven't traced it to a harness or anything yet.QUOTE]

You're welcome. I'd do what you're saying and check where that other connection comes from (where it ends at). Do you have an electric choke? Maybe that? I've also found wires like that in other trucks that did nothing at all...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
mmmmoore24

[quote=VA72C10;4210546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmoore24 View Post
Good deal, thanks! I will give the CLR a try - any idea about the other connection in the photo? I haven't traced it to a harness or anything yet.QUOTE]

You're welcome. I'd do what you're saying and check where that other connection comes from (where it ends at). Do you have an electric choke? Maybe that? I've also found wires like that in other trucks that did nothing at all...
Will check that loose connection - I think it leads to a harness mounted on the heater core, but haven't checked because of all the rain! In the meantime, more pictures of the truck:

More floorpan...

Driver's side corner:

Fuse panel (note radio power cable jammed into fuse)...anything else really wrong, please tell me!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
mmmmoore24

More pictures of the budget rebuild:
Hack-job floor shifter - should I be worried about the screw jammed in there?

Cab mounts:

Rust! ()

And then I found this hanging down by the transmission...any ideas?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
mmmmoore24

Next question on the interior - there's overspray on the dash trim...what works well to remove paint but leave the chrome look?

Another look:

...and last (for now) - I have extra parts from shopping around and swapping out some of the door machinery. Not sure if these are worth selling, but I don't need them anymore, and they're just taking up space in the shop...

Window glass, channel, regulator:

Driver's side mirror:

Two doors:

Another look at the black/grey door:

Whatcha think?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
VA72C10
VA72C10

You can always get something for the parts. Probably 20-30 for the glass and the same for the regulator, doors maybe 50 to someone willing to fix them???

Looks like a little work needed on the cab It can all be patched. I'd fix the radio connection, but otherwise the fuse panel looks okay. Not sure on any of the other things though.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
gkesseru

Try lacquer thinner on the overspray, but don't leave it on too long.
Also, the radio wire goes on the metal tab in the middle row next to the Heat fuse. this tab should have power when switch is on ACC or IGN. Use a female push on terminal.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

any updates?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
mmmmoore24

Quote:
any updates?
A few things done since last post:

Had trouble starting it, so cleaned up the battery terminals and cables (negative terminal was real messy). Replaced one of the grounds from the positive terminal, removed the battery and charged it up.

Found a lot of liquid under the battery before charging it, so I cleaned the battery casing and charged it overnight. Put it back in the truck, and it fired right up.

Went out a few days later to find liquid in the battery tray, so I may have to take this battery in to get tested. Will post pictures tomorrow if I can.

Next step: bleed brakes (getting some help from a neighbor on this one), fix up fuse panel as mentioned earlier.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #18
mmmmoore24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
Try lacquer thinner on the overspray, but don't leave it on too long.
Also, the radio wire goes on the metal tab in the middle row next to the Heat fuse. this tab should have power when switch is on ACC or IGN. Use a female push on terminal.
Thanks! Will try the lacquer thinner and get the fuse panel fixed up (hopefully tomorrow), post pics of the work.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
mmmmoore24

Ran into two problems - neither truck-related! First, some neighborhood kids looking for something to do on a Saturday night came around and shot out a window on my Tacoma - suxx. So that was $180 and a few days haggling with insurance and glass company.

Then, I've been trying to upload pictures of work on the truck, but computer time is precious at the house and I've been having trouble getting pictures to load. So here they are attached.

Since last 'update' I've replaced the battery and redone the battery tray where it was eaten away by leaking acid. I've also cleaned up the leads going in to the battery terminals.

Some interior work on the way to switching out the driver's door and internals.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
mmmmoore24

A few more of the recent work. I had to drill out two of the screws holding the trim panel on, and have gotten the lock & window crank handles out. Hopefully I'll get the internals and everything switched out next weekend. In the first picture you can see the acid leaking out of the yellow battery. I tried cleaning the case (I've heard that sometimes batteries can drain that way), but it was still leaking, so I switched the whole thing out.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
VA72C10
VA72C10

man, sorry about the window in the taco.

keep at it!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
VA72C10
VA72C10

I noticed your craigslist ad was up again. If you want to trade for some parts you can use I'll take the old ones off your hands....I have a lot more patch panels now as well as a hundred or so more used parts and I've actually itemized them now and divided more into containers....
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
mmmmoore24

Quote:
I noticed your craigslist ad was up again. If you want to trade for some parts you can use I'll take the old ones off your hands....I have a lot more patch panels now as well as a hundred or so more used parts and I've actually itemized them now and divided more into containers....
Thanks! Yeah, man, that would be huge! I've only gotten one bite on the ad, and he actually wanted to sell me a car - go figure. Patch panels would be sweet...as would pretty much anything else! Let me know what day/time works for you - PM/respond to craigslist ad/whatever. Thanks again -
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #24
mmmmoore24

...well, time has gone by and I've done a little more with the truck. In the interest of time, I had the brakes bled and new wheel cylinders put all around, and shoes in the back, so I can actually drive the thing!

Also bought a set of rally wheels to replace the stockers. Haven't decided about putting them on with new tires or not. The reason is that we're moving down south to New Orleans in early August for school. Can't wait to experience the city and its food, but unfortunately this means the Chevy can't come with.

I realize based on my free membership that I can't post to the WIW board, but I am going to put the truck up for sale soon, and I'd just like a sense of what people think it could fetch. I'm certainly not looking to make any money on the thing, and I'm skeptical that I could get back what I put in it (ain't it always the way?), but any advice would be welcome.

The truck is almost exactly as it appears in the thread, with the exception of the brake repairs: running 307, all the electronics work, with the exception of the radio). Also comes with a driver's side door in better shape than what's on it now, and with the patch panels I've collected over the past year (thanks VA72C10!). I am sad to be selling it, but right now it's not really possible for me to keep it. Any advice/suggestions are welcome!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
VA72C10
VA72C10

Well, the truck is now mine. Today was the day of his move and no one had purchased the truck so I bought it from him. I plan to replace some parts and clean it up and enjoy it for a bit and maybe use it around the house for a bit. The motor runs fine, brakes work well (although they're manual )....overall just a good truck that needs a little rust repair, paint, and interior cleanup

I think I'm going to end up keeping the beginning of the thread to document it to this point and then add a post at the beginning to note that...so that those that were following the build (other than me ) can keep up with it.