The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
HumbleChevyBuddy

Project "FatBoy"

I've finally decided to post up my build. For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is. I've got a 1980 C10 Stepper which I purchased from a nephew in Ft. Worth, TX. It's got a 250 L6 automatic and is 2WD. I didn't get off to a good start with it. As I was towing it home, I tore up transmission on my 2003 Yukon (doh!). I actually purchased it for $1,500, but my wife says it cost me $2,900 because of the $1,400 for the transmission rebuild (note to self, adjust selective hearing module). It had just recently had a "paint job" done on it....which I'm not too fond of but atleast they got rid of most of the rust. The only rust I've really seen on the whole body is on some parts of the floorpan and front fender wells. Anyhow, on to the pics:
Attached Images

HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
HumbleChevyBuddy

Re: Project "FatBoy"

The first thing I did was tore out all the suspension up front, installed new urethane bushings up front, DJM 3" drop spindles, 2" drop coils, and a flip kit out back.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
HumbleChevyBuddy

I also adjusted the backside of the truck by removing the chains and replacing them with Mar K hidden tailgate arms and some of their hidden latches. I also removed the stock taillights and the rear bumper and replaced it with a smooth roll-pan and some custom taillights and reverse lights. Then, I added a third brake light license frame. I also added some 1 1/2" spacers in the rear, since I didn't like how far in the wheels were (that's what I get for getting 8.5X20" wheels).
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
HumbleChevyBuddy

I had noticed the body leaning to the passenger side in the front, so I realized I needed to change out the body mounts. I get a set of urethane mounts and get them all put in place.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
HumbleChevyBuddy

Now I'm on to the front end. I'm going to be replacing my 80 (rectangular light) front end with a 73-79 round eye front end. I ordered everything I needed for that project and should be getting it all in early next week. In the meantime, I started removing all the parts which will be replaced and hit it all up with some fresh paint. I also cleaned up the bumper quite a bit, leveled it out, and buffed it. Here are some pics of the before and after....now only if the parts would hurry up and get here!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
MotorHead Lon

Good looking truck. Have you had any problems running the wheel spacers?

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead Lon View Post
Good looking truck. Have you had any problems running the wheel spacers?
Thanks...not to this point, but I've been hearing some negative things about them possibly breaking. I've known some people with strip rods and they run them on their's with no issues, so I purchased mine from the same place.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
MotorHead Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleChevyBuddy View Post
Thanks...not to this point, but I've been hearing some negative things about them possibly breaking. I've known some people with strip rods and they run them on their's with no issues, so I purchased mine from the same place.

I've never had the spacer break, just the lug studs breaking. Having your own wheel pass you is a weird sensation.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead Lon View Post
I've never had the spacer break, just the lug studs breaking. Having your own wheel pass you is a weird sensation.
I don't even want to imagine that Yeah, that's what I meant....my fault. It's a 1 1/2" adapter. I hated how the rear wheels sat so far into the wheel well, so I ordered up some adapters to push them out 1 1/2". I don't drive it too far, though. I work about a mile from my house, so I haven't really driven it on the highway.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
HumbleChevyBuddy

Right now I'm having a couple of issues that I'm dealing with. First of all, it appears I have some frame damage up front on the passenger side. It's not off by much, but enough to make my front passenger wheel sit in about an inch more than the driver side. Also the passenger side core support bushing does not line up properly. Here is what I'm talking about:
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
HumbleChevyBuddy

The next thing I'm having an issue with is the back of my truck. For some reason the passenger side of the bed is sitting about an inch higher than the driver side. I measured from the floor to the frame just behind the cab and both sides measure up. For some reason at the very back it's off. I'm assuming it's probably either more frame damage or maybe even the rear suspension. I'm planning on getting the frame re-aligned in a few weeks and then I can start ruling things out. I'd hate to do this, but worst case I may just put a 1" lowering shackle on the driver side and 2" on the passenger side since I still plan on going a little lower in the back. Like I said, I'd really hate to do that, but I'm just not sure what else it could be.

Finally, another issue I'm having is the wiring behind the dash. I've seen someone else post something similar, but when I turn the lights on my gas gauge marks empty. When I turn the lights off, it goes back to normal. I'm sure it's probably a grounding issue, but it's not a huge issue for me right now since I don't really drive it at night yet.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
GMC Guy

uhh the lower cab mount bushing is up side down haha
great looking truck by the way!
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]

Last edited by GMC Guy; 10-03-2010 at 04:47 PM.
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
GMC Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleChevyBuddy View Post
The next thing I'm having an issue with is the back of my truck. For some reason the passenger side of the bed is sitting about an inch higher than the driver side. I measured from the floor to the frame just behind the cab and both sides measure up. For some reason at the very back it's off. I'm assuming it's probably either more frame damage or maybe even the rear suspension. I'm planning on getting the frame re-aligned in a few weeks and then I can start ruling things out. I'd hate to do this, but worst case I may just put a 1" lowering shackle on the driver side and 2" on the passenger side since I still plan on going a little lower in the back. Like I said, I'd really hate to do that, but I'm just not sure what else it could be.

Finally, another issue I'm having is the wiring behind the dash. I've seen someone else post something similar, but when I turn the lights on my gas gauge marks empty. When I turn the lights off, it goes back to normal. I'm sure it's probably a grounding issue, but it's not a huge issue for me right now since I don't really drive it at night yet.
check ground for the dash harness, and check the plug connection into the gauge cluster, if any of those tabs touch they'll give ya problems
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Guy View Post
uhh the lower cab mount bushing is up side down haha
great looking truck by the way!
Thanks. You know...I thought about that when I was installing them. I figured they went like that since the washer was the same diameter as that portion of the bushing. I just didn't think it would go the other way since the washer's diameter is quite a bit bigger than the other side. I guess I should have posted up a question about it, huh?

I was going based off of the instructions on this site:

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/exte...b_bushings.htm

but I noticed it wasn't the same type of bushings.

Question though...does it really make a difference if it goes that way or the other way? Worst case I can go up under there and slide them off and put them back on. Atleast I won't have to jack up the truck for that.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
GMC Guy

i don't think it really matters, but i used those same bushings on mine, and i installed them like the originals i pulled off. it would be easy to flip it around though if you wanted
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
HumbleChevyBuddy

Ok, I still haven't switched my lower body bushings around, but I was able to finish up my front end swap. Here is the before and after:

Before:

After:

I still need to tighten things up and order a new set of headlight bucket springs. My current ones are all bent up and they don't seem to be keeping the headlights steady.

My next project is going to be getting the frame re-aligned, front-end alignment, and bringing the rear down another 2". I'll get the drop done this weekend and will be taking the truck to the shop early next week for the frame and front-end re-alignment. And after all that is done, it's off to get my inspection to finally be able to drive this thing on the streets!

More updates to come!

Project "FATBOY" build thread

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
bharrison1

Looks great!!
bharrison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrison1 View Post
Looks great!!
Thanks! I still have a ways to go, but I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
mooseknuckles

Man I like those early style front ends.....think I might do a swap someday!

Last edited by mooseknuckles; 10-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
GMC Guy

wow that looks awesome
where did you order the grille from?
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
Man I like those early style front ends.....think I might do a swap someday!
I highly recommend it...makes the truck look sick...I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Guy View Post
wow that looks awesome
where did you order the grille from?
Thanks, bro. I ordered it off of eBay ($72 with free shipping). I want to say the company is Grill World or something like that. I comes with all the necessary mounting brackets, too.

Here is what the bracket looks like:

Here is where it bolts to on the core support:

I thought I was going to have an issue with the hood release, but your fingers fit right through the grill without any problems and just pops right back into shape when you pull them out.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
HumbleChevyBuddy

Another change I made over the weekend was putting in a tilt column:

Previous column:

New tilt column:

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be and took about 2 1/2 hours. If you want to change out the steering wheel, I highly recommend a steering wheel puller. You can rent it from Autozone or just buy one for like $16.99. The new column didn't come with it's keys, so I had to change out the key lock cylinder. For that you definitely need a lock plate puller, otherwise you're gonna be there for a while getting that clip out that holds the plate in place. The puller was only like $14 from Autozone, too.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
HumbleChevyBuddy

This past weekend I lowered the rear another 2" and buttoned up the front end right. My headlight adjustment screws were broken so the driver side headlight was not set properly. I finally got all the parts I needed to get everything nice and tight and the front end is FINALLY finished 100%. I also added some clear corner markers up front and removed the trim around the side and back of the cab just under the window. Here are some pics of the progress:

During the rear lowering, I removed the bump stop bracket above the axle and hit it all up with some paint to get rid of all the rust I had. I'm still not done with the paint, but I'll post up pics of that after I'm all done and drill in the new bump stops for the rear. I was going to do a c-notch, but I don't think it's low enough to warrant that....yet. I still have plenty of clearance to this point. I think I'll eventually install some bags on it, so at some point in time I'll need to do that.

I also tried to start some of the shaving, however the welding machine I bought is currently not working. I'm going to have to take it in to get it serviced, but I'm in no rush for that anyway.

I still need to buy a new battery, so I will stop having issues with starting it up every time. I'm hoping to get that done in the next two weeks. Updates to come!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
silvereagle07

It's looking really good. The older front end looks awesome.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Thats SICK! I love it!!!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote