The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
brown78

Why cant I pump gas?

Alright, I'm feeling quite stupid at this point, I need help pumping gas into my truck. Seriously, not a joke. Every time I pump gas it will overflow out the filler. I took the filler tubes apart, no obstructions in the line, blew compressed air through the filler and vent tube, seems fine. If I barely put the nossel into the filler and pump slow i get gas into it, still makes a mess. Any have any suggestions as to why it wont take gas? also the pump don't shut off like it should when the tank is full, just throws up gas all over the side of my truck What am i missing here?
brown78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
sandnuriz

Re: Why cant I pump gas?

Don't feel bad my old work truck 6.5 Detroit Diesel did the samething and it was brand new back in 1995. old rock crusher but ran forever till it threw a rod first the turbo blew apart , Every one told me it was the vent tube

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Vent Tube

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
PRattenbury

I turn the nozzle upside down to pump gas in mine. Seems ridiculous, but it works.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
qu1cks1lver56

i just pump at half throttle on the gas pump and it doesnt overflow. it will if i try to pump any faster though
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
I turn the nozzle upside down to pump gas in mine. Seems ridiculous, but it works.
x2. This is what worked for my 74.

I also had to be kneeling @ the filler opening (looked like I was praying for the gas to go in) & my tongue stuck out of the corner of my mouth seemed to make things better (well, this wasn't a proven fact). I put new vent & fuel hose lines on mine as I thought it was the reason. Seems like some pumps just pump @ faster rates vs. others & it causes problems for many vehicles old or new. It was a real PITA because mine had no restrictor (no little flap door for unleaded fuel).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

Do you have a vapor recovery system and charcoal canister? If so, could be plugged up, especially the charcoal canister. Upside down nozzle can work sometimes for me.
Just speculation, but nozzles seem to be shorter and have that wire wrapped around them and less curved to match the curve of the filler neck. Consequently, when you fill gas you are splashing the gas against the backside of the filler neck, rather than down the neck, causing the nozzle to shut off or splash back at you. I never had splash back or shut off with a long non-wired nozzle.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Oilbrnr

^^ My initial thought was also the canister, assuming the OP's truck has one, as there is no info regarding year/model.

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Do you have a vapor recovery system and charcoal canister? If so, could be plugged up, especially the charcoal canister. Upside down nozzle can work sometimes for me.
Just speculation, but nozzles seem to be shorter and have that wire wrapped around them and less curved to match the curve of the filler neck. Consequently, when you fill gas you are splashing the gas against the backside of the filler neck, rather than down the neck, causing the nozzle to shut off or splash back at you. I never had splash back or shut off with a long non-wired nozzle.
Ohhhhh thats why the nozzle keeps clicking off when I'm filling up. The previous owner removed everything emissions and evap related under the hood. I dont have any problems with the gas backing up on me tho.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Greenlee

It's the new green gas pumps with vapor recovery. When I travel out in the country where the gas pumps don't have that, my truck is easy to put gas in. Around town, I have to turn the nozzle up side down, stand on my head, etc.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
rhdowns

I'm interested to try this upside down thing. Mine when it is really low on gas cuts off continuously when I try to fill it until I get a few gallons in then it seems to work fine. P!sses me off though!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
ont_guy_38

I was told by a gas station owner once that it was the pump handles themselves and I just kinda laughed to myself and then they replaced the pumps and have not had a problem since , can pump at full throttle
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Just shot $20 in the left tank on one of the crews. Had to spin the pump at a 90 Degree angle to the ground, pointing towards the rear tire. It took it at full throttle...and that will get me to work and back for the next 2 days.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
foamypirate

I must be lucky, my 87' has never had an issue with this. Maybe the 87' has a different filler neck angle?
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #15
SCOTI

My 74 had problems @ every pump except QuickTrip fuel centers or 'older' gas stations. The 89 dually hasn't had an issue anywhere so far.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-19-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #16
brown78

yea, I guess if I tell the year it help. 1978 swb 350 cali emissions.

for all of you who have to deal with the pump shutting off every sec., i'd consider my self lucky, in my case the gas doesn't shut the pump down and it gushes gas at me. Seems to me the tank is not venting right, besides the filler tube what else could i check.
brown78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown78 View Post
yea, I guess if I tell the year it help. 1978 swb 350 cali emissions.

for all of you who have to deal with the pump shutting off every sec., i'd consider my self lucky, in my case the gas doesn't shut the pump down and it gushes gas at me. Seems to me the tank is not venting right, besides the filler tube what else could i check.
Fuel inlet hose or fuel vent..... both are related.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #18
red rumbler

vent tube. same thing happened to me when i tried to fill mine with a jerry can. after feeling like a moron and swearing until my face was purple i looked it up and it had something to do with the gas catching the vent tube and not going down the tank tube. all the new fords have the same problem. so ford came out with a spout like thing that comes with all the new ford so i highly advise buying one or going for a test drive and " finding it '. it saves a huge hastle.
red rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rumbler View Post
vent tube. same thing happened to me when i tried to fill mine with a jerry can. after feeling like a moron and swearing until my face was purple i looked it up and it had something to do with the gas catching the vent tube and not going down the tank tube. all the new fords have the same problem. so ford came out with a spout like thing that comes with all the new ford so i highly advise buying one or going for a test drive and " finding it '. it saves a huge hastle.
It's not an absolute.

I replaced the vent tube in my 74 & had absolutely no improvement. I learned that some pumps 'pump' gas @ a faster rate vs. others. My 74's set-up accommodated the slower pumps w/no issues. The faster pumps constantly kicked off & required finessing the pump handle + angle of entry to get gas (even @ a reduced flowrate).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

I have the same problem with my 78. I know of one gas station in my town that has the older nozzles and that's where I fill up.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #21
red rumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It's not an absolute.

I replaced the vent tube in my 74 & had absolutely no improvement. I learned that some pumps 'pump' gas @ a faster rate vs. others. My 74's set-up accommodated the slower pumps w/no issues. The faster pumps constantly kicked off & required finessing the pump handle + angle of entry to get gas (even @ a reduced flowrate).
really?? well there ya go my bad lol
red rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
I do the same thing for a fast fill up. You can also turn it sideways. I just fill up slowly. The truck is too low to hold the hose that long.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Whewhhh... This will take a minute but it will help. The gas pump is actually pumping and thus delivering gas in pulses although it seems to be a continuous flow. The nozzle is calibrated to read those pulses and shut off when the pulses are coming back quickly, ie the tank is near full and there is very little air left and thus the pulses are returning faster.

Some nozzles are tuned a little too generously and you get gas down the side of the truck before they ever cut off. Some are tuned too conservatively and they start cutting off when you can still get a good five gallons more in the tank.

Personally, I won't frequent a station that splashes gas all over the side of the truck before it cuts off. Try varying the position of the gas pump nozzle, sometimes it helps if you pull it out an inch or so, and you may need to pump at a slower speed. It all depends on where you are. Experiment and find your "sweet spot".

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #24
1LowToy

It all depends on where you are. Experiment and find your "sweet spot".[/QUOTE]

Are we still at the gas station????

Sorry I'm in tears laughing
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
JCampbell
Account Suspended

I had the same issues on my '77 dually. I eventually swapped over to a bed off of an '83 (with the filler behind a fuel door instead of the filler being mounded directly to the side of the bed) and never had another issue with it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290962
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote