The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Dru

1-ton bushing or A arm in 1/2 ton?

Hello all,

I was over removing some stuff of of a 1-ton tonight, and I noticed the A arm bushings are greaseable metal units.

Does anyone happen to know if the A arms are the same dimensions/triangulation, between 1/2 ton, and 1 ton?

I didn't think about checking the shaft length or the O.D. of the bushings while I was there, but I think the O.D. was smaller than my rubber ones, Ill have to measure and see if I can just put the metal assembly's in my A arms tomorrow, but I just thought I would ask.

I have to replace the A arm bushings coming up anyhow, reason I am thinking about swapping them over, it will probably ride a little rougher, but I imagine the suspension would have a bit more positive feel.

The sway bar is getting swapped over, btw.

Thank you.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 1-ton bushing or A arm in 1/2 ton?

73-91 1-ton bushings are the equivalent of pre-73 a-arm bushings.

The bushings cannot be interchanged between the specific year a-arms as the attachment method is different (screw-in for all pre 73; press fit for post 73 1/2 ton; screw in for post 73 3/4 & 1-ton). The a-arms will interchange (73-87 a-arms can be swapped to a pre-73 truck; pre-73 a-arms can be swapped to a post 73 truck).

The post 73 1-ton a-arms have a larger lower BJ which means those 1-ton lower arms have a larger lower BJ 'hole' vs their 1/2 ton counterparts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

3/4 ton also has a larger ball/joint.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Dru

SCOTI, thank you very much for your reply, that's very informative, and much appreciated.

If you dont mind clarifying a few more things for me, I'd be very grateful.

Im guessing the upper ball joints interchange, as in use 1/2 ton on the 1 ton A arms, since you said they could be swapped back and forth, but I'm curious about that lower ball joint you mention.

Does the larger lower post 73 ball joint have a bigger pin/taper on it that goes into the spindle on the 1 ton? I imagine so, but am not 100%.

So if I'm thinking right, I can use the pre 73, and post 73 A arms, and bolt on a 1/2 ton ball joint to the top, but for the lowers I should look for pre 73 so that I can use a 1/2 ton lower ball joint?

Or is there a lower ball joint for the bigger hole of the post 73's that work with the 1/2 ton spindle?

Does the lower sway bar mount the same on pre and post, or do I need to just drill holes in the pre 73 lower A arms for the sway bar bushing straps?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you again.

Edit: thank you too, KQQL IT. I was typing while you posted.

Last edited by Dru; 11-29-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
SCOTI

Taper on the lower BJ's is larger for 3/4 & 1-tons as is the physical mounting hole diameter. The only 1/2 ton spindle that would work is the later 88-98 spindles which would also require swapping to 88-98 brake parts.

Another thing to note is the steering stops on the a-arms will be slightly different because they were designed for different spindles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Dru

I got to thinking there has to be more ways to basically to convert a 3/4 or 1 ton to a 1/2 ton, I'm just kind of doing it in reverse, then realized searching for converting the lugs might yield better results, and came across a company mentioned here on the forums that makes drop spindles which use the 3/4 ton ball joints, and allow to run a 1/2 ton 5 lug hub and brakes.

Early Classic Enterprises
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog....ry=Drop%20Kits

Since I dumped a big block in my truck, and read while searching also that the 3/4 ton springs are heavier, I figure I could cut a coil off, along with the 2 1/2 inch dropped spindles, and that should give me a firmer lower ride than using the small block springs that I have in there now, with dropped spindles, which I had originally planned to add in the future

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dru; 11-29-2010 at 06:25 PM.