The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
D.FENS

Question Options.

Let me start by saying this IS NOT me soliciting for business, nor am I looking to buy another truck or sell mine. Not right now anyway.

Bought my crewcab with the intention of dropping it over some semi wheels. Haven't done much with it because other projects been keeping my pockets blown out. Had trouble staying off the operating table too, but that ain't my choice.

Was planning to rip into the truck next spring, but now I'm kinda thinking I might either want to either pay to have some or all of the work done, or sell the truck and buy one that's already bagged.

The money isn't as much of a problem as one: not having a place to work on something as big as a R30 crewcab, and two: I will be having another damn knee surgery in January (this time it's a full knee replacement).

Will be off my feet two or three weeks, back to work in six to eight, but won't be able to do a lot of heavy grunt-type work (or crawling around on the floor under a truck) for probably six to eight months after that. Full recovery takes about a year.

The workspace problem is a little more difficult. We have a pretty big shop at my work, that almost never gets used but getting the okay to use it is like pulling teeth. Things are guaranteed to get ugly if I tore my truck apart there and took weeks or months to finish it.

What says the board? I'd like to stick with the devil I know, it's a pretty clean truck, even underneath, just needs some suspension work and I guess that would be as good a time as any to put the drop on it.

Last edited by D.FENS; 11-29-2010 at 10:53 PM.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
D.FENS

Re: Options.

Pic of the truck in question.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

You've got a solid platform and know what you want to do with it. I'd rather go that route than buy a "done" truck and run the risk of fixing the PO's short cuts from now to eternity. JMHO. Wish you were closer, I'd lend a hand.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Leedogg

did you find that truck on Auto Trader(or have it listed)? I am certain I seen that pic in an ad somewhere.

Back on topic- Looks like you have a very clean sheet to start with. But I also know that if you look at the cost of building a project like this, buying one already done is sometimes a bargain! Like stated above- you have to very careful and research a 'done' truck very well. The last thing you want to do is inherit another's hackjob.

I have been looking for a while now(not ready to buy yet), and I too have considered both options. I have found some really nice ride in the 12-15K range...that I knew I couldn't build for that cheap.

HA! I just noticed that we are all from AL.

Last edited by Leedogg; 11-29-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
D.FENS

I'm listening. Found an incomplete project ('85 that had already been bagged and stock floored) on duallyscene earlier this year near Montgomery but it sold before I could go check it out.

Seems like you can always buy a project or even a completed truck for a lot less than it costs to build one. I was looking at spending between maybe 8K low and 10 - 12 high.

On the down side you're right about crappy builds going for high prices. The truck with link bars made out of 1" square tubing comes to mind.

It's killing me to think about having my truck done by somebody else - I've always been hands-on with my projects, even if it turned out crappy lookin'. This time though I may have to cave and turn it over to somebody else. Sent emails to a couple of shops last night.

(BTW I've had my truck for almost three years. It's showed up a couple - three times in the crewcab pic thread but if you saw it in the classifieds or on Autotrader I didn't put it there. A while ago I considerd trading it off for a C10 but nothing ever came of that)

Last edited by D.FENS; 11-30-2010 at 07:58 AM.