The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
fredscarryall

sound deadening and heat shield

i am looking to cover the inside of my 1950 suburban. the roof and firewall in heat and sound deadening and the inside panels and door panels with just sound deadening. i know there is dynamat,hushmat,fatmat and spray on. is anyone using anything else thats cheaper? any other ideas?
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: sound deadening and heat shield

Peel 'n Seal from Lowe's. Do a search, lots of positive comments.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
ratrodmiller

Homedepot has the same stuff
that works awesome also.16.00 for a 6"x25ft roll
Posted via Mobile Device
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
72Mountaineer

Is the stuff from Lowes and HD asphalt-based? Is it applied to the inside or outside? What about a tar-like odor?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
ratrodmiller

this stuff works great just lined the inside of my doors with it also has no smell and sticks very well.
Attached Images

ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
fredscarryall

does anyone know if the peel and stick would be ok to put on the inside of the roof.it seams like if it gets hot it will melt and bleed through the headliner,but i'm not sure. i have a couple boxes of dynamat from a few years ago and at 70 degrees it gets really gooey.but its suppost to withstand 300 degrees.i bought a couple rolls of peel and stick today and it looks like good stuff.has anyone tried to use peel and stick on the roof.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
Is the stuff from Lowes and HD asphalt-based? Is it applied to the inside or outside? What about a tar-like odor?
Use the search button. Lots of opinions but no, no odor. Don't know about overhead use.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
rhodog77

I just did my project with peel and seal and am very happy. I just did the floor. Im thinking about do the roof as well. Let me know how it turns out. I would be very surprised if there was any slippage though.

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

rhodog77, Did you totally clean the floor and paint it before applying the Peel 'n Seal? I ask because I HAd planned on doing that but then thought, "Why?" I'll certainly clean it with degreaser but it will probably stick better if I do NOT paint it. Just curious and did you use the wood wallpaper roller to press it on or some other method? Mettalic tape over the seams or nothing?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
72Mountaineer

This may be a dumb question...but shouldn't a head shield be applied on the outside of where you want to insulate...such as the underside of the floor?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I have heard bad news from folks that have used the home depot etc. products. So when I was ready to get the vibration/heat damping I found this article. The writer spent many hours and $ testing material and posted this report. It will allow the reader to make an intelligent decision.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
rhodog77

dan,

I took a wire wheel over the floor real quick just to get some of the rust spots cleaned up. My floor was in pretty good shape. I did spray a thin coat of rust encapsilator. Peel and seal is sticky. I think putting down the paint helped because it allowed to me to move the peel and seal into place. Its been a few days now, out in the sun and it is definitley stuck very well. I used a small roller to help me get it down. I think it is a made for applying wall paper. You can do it by hand though. I liked the peel and seal because you can really push it into every like bodyseam and crevace. I didnt use any metallic tape. I figure if you ever need to remove a panel/tranny hump you can cut right at the seam. That way when you reinstall you panels they will sitll be covered. I am going to do my dads 54 with it as well. He doesnt have a tranny hump so I think I will go from side to side instead of front to back.

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodog77 View Post
dan,

I took a wire wheel over the floor real quick just to get some of the rust spots cleaned up. My floor was in pretty good shape. I did spray a thin coat of rust encapsilator. Peel and seal is sticky. I think putting down the paint helped because it allowed to me to move the peel and seal into place. Its been a few days now, out in the sun and it is definitley stuck very well. I used a small roller to help me get it down. I think it is a made for applying wall paper. You can do it by hand though. I liked the peel and seal because you can really push it into every like bodyseam and crevace. I didnt use any metallic tape. I figure if you ever need to remove a panel/tranny hump you can cut right at the seam. That way when you reinstall you panels they will sitll be covered. I am going to do my dads 54 with it as well. He doesnt have a tranny hump so I think I will go from side to side instead of front to back.
Was this the rattle can Rustoleum (I think?) Rust Encapsulator? I've wondered how that works and how it looks too?

Re: The tranny hump; I've wondered if I should just apply the peel 'n seal straight over it as though its not there or treat it as a removable panel? If I do that there WILL likely be some noise/heat that enters the cab from the seam around the edge. If I ever need access I can razor cut the peel 'n seal and poke around for the screws, I guess. Regardless, I've got a million hole to fill in my cab floor and firewall before I do this or the peel 'n seal will burn, smell, etc if I try ot do it later.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
wildearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Peel 'n Seal from Lowe's. Do a search, lots of positive comments.
I used this on my 47. It is cheap enough to do two layers, which I highly recommend. It is super easy to install. Buy at least 4 rolls, and possibly more. You can always take back rolls that are unused. FYI, this is in the roofing section, usually very close to the wall in the store. Home Depot does not carry it.

I also noticed that a lot of noise is echoed down from the cowl and upper firewall area, so you really want to cover and insulate those areas if at all possible. I didn't and wish I had done this prior to gauges, wiring, and AC install.

I installed foil covered foam insulation on top of this product.

I sprayed the floor and firewall with Rustoleum Industrial coatings flat black, thinned with acetone and mineral spirits, prior to the peel-n-stick. I use this on the chassis too.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Wow, 2 layers AND foil/foam insulation. This didn't result in a "squishy" feel underfoot? I've heard of using 2 layers and plan to, it's the other I'm questioning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #16
wildearp

I then put boat carpet on top of the foam. There isn't enough room to walk across the floor, so squishy isn't a concern.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Atomsplitter

Peel & Seal comes in a 3' wide roll too!
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
emseibold

I have used second skin with excellent results. All of there products seem to be top notch and not to spendy. Used there three layer system on a vw build
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/
emseibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I have used 2nd skin and find it to be an excellent product. In fact I just received 8 sq feet, enough to finish my Bolt.http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P1090073.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
1952ssr

I picked up some roles of the Lowes peel n seal Friday, and I just wanted to make sure about the tar smell. I know previous post stated they're wasn't any but, when I opened my truck door after a couple of hours sitting in the sun and the smell hit me pretty good. Does it go away after being laid down?
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
I picked up some roles of the Lowes peel n seal Friday, and I just wanted to make sure about the tar smell. I know previous post stated they're wasn't any but, when I opened my truck door after a couple of hours sitting in the sun and the smell hit me pretty good. Does it go away after being laid down?
Don't know. I do know if you go up on a flat roof that has been tarred 15 years ago and the temp is above 85/90+ degrees you smell it bad.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Dan in Pasadena

Seems like every thread I read on this subject it coms down to X number of guys sayngi they've used Peel 'n Seal and rave about it, how it doesn't smell and the cost of it vs. the price of Dynamat. Then inevitably there are a couple of guys (typically that haven't used it) that say they think it will reek of tar smell.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
FFredo

I have also seen most that have used it say it's great. On the other hand a few say it will stink to high heven, I guess I'll find out in about two weeks.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Seems like every thread I read on this subject it coms down to X number of guys sayngi they've used Peel 'n Seal and rave about it, how it doesn't smell and the cost of it vs. the price of Dynamat. Then inevitably there are a couple of guys (typically that haven't used it) that say they think it will reek of tar smell.
I said nothing about Peel 'n Seal "reeking" of tar smell. What I did say is tar smell doesn't go away when subjected to enough heat. No, I did not choose use that product. My preference was for a higher quality of vibration damping.
I choose 2nd Skin and am very pleased with the product.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
ScottyB

The Eastwood thermocoustic is pretty easy to work with. I did the roof, floor and back panel with it. Used one of those small wooden wallpaper rollers to form it. No complaints.

ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote