The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
ryanmctee

Clear coat over Single Stage Paint

I've been reading quite alot on this subject. Seems there are varying views; I have already bought all my paint materials (minus the clear), so I'm not changing anything, just looking for opinions and some real world experience. Currently the inside of the cab has been painted with color, and the rest of the exterior is awaiting more blocking and priming.

1. Truck is very straight, and everything was primed with Kirker Perfect Prime 2k Urethand Primer.

2. Wetsand everything with 400 grit paper.

3. Sprayed color (Mack Green) Kirker Ultra Glo Single Stage Urethane top coat. Paint looks great, nice and shiney with very little orangepeel - but I do have some VERY slight dirt specs in the paint. (I painted it in my garage, and am by no means a professional painter.)

My truck will be a daily driver, and I am happy with the results as she sits now, buy I have a couple of questions:

1. If I wanted, can I colorsand the single stage paint to make it perfect?

2. I want my paint to be as durable as possible, so I'm wondering about applying clear over the single stage to act as a protectant. I don't need the shine as the single stage currently looks like a mirror, just looking to protect the paint as much as possible. Or am I overthinking this whole thing and should just keep her waxed up?

Also, the color coat is only 3 days old and the truck hasn't left the garage, so it would be easy to do the clear with a basic scuff job prior to spraying. Sorry for the long winded thread, but just looking for any help and or real world experience with this type of deal.
Attached Images

ryanmctee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
ryanmctee

Couple of more pictures

more pictures of inside cab.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
CC69Rat

Re: Clear coat over Single Stage Paint

I think I'd color sand 2000/2500 and hit it with some black wax and call it a day For a driver, you can't ask for better than that . Great job !

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
ryanmctee

What is 'black wax'?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
CC69Rat

It's a 3M product, commonly referred to as black wax. A.k.a. Perfect-It

They also offer Finesse-It that is good too. Old school stuff but just what I have used over the years.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Let me start off by saying that i know very little about painting vehicles. Seeing that you went for it in your garage gets me thinking that i might try it. It looks great.

As far as the clear coat question, from what ive learned from a buddy with 30+ years auto body experience is that: down the road, having a clear coat over the paint can prevent it from being buffed back to life. We compared 2 of our older landscaping trucks at work (both the same color), one BC/CC and one Single stage, and the one with clear on it was very faded underneath the clear. He was complaining that for a landscaping truck that will be used and abused, single stage paint with no clear will give it the ability to always be buffed back to at least 90% of how it looked when painted. I have seen some pretty old single stage paint come back really nicely. So that goes for a work truck, but if you are keeping yours in your garage, and are going to take care of it and wax it regularly, a clear coat would probably suit you just fine. So after all that i guess i'm not really helping your decision any, just passing along a little info that i've learned. Good luck, the truck looks sweet and i love the color!
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
ryanmctee

Thanks for the compliment yfs200p. I'm a firm believer that if a body guy can make a paintjob look great, so can I. All it takes is time (tons of it) and the will to make it as perfect as you can get it. I'm leaning towards not clearing as the inside of the cab is now three days old and looks great, not to mention as hard as a rock. I'm currently blocking and glazing the bed for the second time. Will probably prime it at least two more times prior to paint. Thanks again for the compliment and reference to the landscape trucks. This truck is going to be a daily driver, but a great looking one at that!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
CC69Rat

How many coats of color do you have on it?

Just my opinion

* No clear

* Block it as slick as you can get it and buffer / foam pad with Finesse It. Have you ever tried Zaino Brothers polish? (Final polish) It will make it look a mile deep.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
BigDan3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs200p View Post
Let me start off by saying that i know very little about painting vehicles. Seeing that you went for it in your garage gets me thinking that i might try it. It looks great.

As far as the clear coat question, from what ive learned from a buddy with 30+ years auto body experience is that: down the road, having a clear coat over the paint can prevent it from being buffed back to life. We compared 2 of our older landscaping trucks at work (both the same color), one BC/CC and one Single stage, and the one with clear on it was very faded underneath the clear. He was complaining that for a landscaping truck that will be used and abused, single stage paint with no clear will give it the ability to always be buffed back to at least 90% of how it looked when painted. I have seen some pretty old single stage paint come back really nicely. So that goes for a work truck, but if you are keeping yours in your garage, and are going to take care of it and wax it regularly, a clear coat would probably suit you just fine. So after all that i guess i'm not really helping your decision any, just passing along a little info that i've learned. Good luck, the truck looks sweet and i love the color!

It cant be faded under the clear, the clear just needed to be wet sanded and buffed.

Clearing over single stage really isn't needed. I only do it when I'm two toning something to save on the added coats as it takes less or on the front end sheet metal. It adds an extra barrier from rock chips and such.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
ryanmctee

CC69Rat - 3 coats on the inside, will probalby do that on the exterior as well. Never have tried the Zanio polish. I'm leaning towards no clear as the paint looks awesome, just want it to be as durable as possible. Thanks for your input!

Ryan
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
CC69Rat

These guys know a TON more than me about painting but I have been doing detailing / color sanding / buffing for many moons. I used to buff and clean $30+ Million dollar corporate jets.

Killer lookin paint job man! There's a point where I ask myself "If I did this all over again, could I do any better?" Once I reach that point .. I'm happy with it.
Just do the best you can, take your time and make 'er shine ! I'd just buff it but I can see the advantages to clear too.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
ryanmctee

Just read a very interesting article on guys mixing 50% clear with their final coat of single stage paint. So there would be 50% clear, and 50" color on the final coat. Anyone tried this??? Sounds pretty interesting to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
ryanmctee

tttt on the clear/single stage mix on the final coat....
Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
tcoop68
tcoop68

Yes I do it all the time it will protect your paint from oxidizing , if the lint spects bothers you I would sand it with 500 and put two coats of paint on the last with 50% clear and I think you will like it. If possible wet your floor down before you spray. If you don't do it on the inside you might want to do it on the exterior . Your doing a good job you won't ever learn if you don't try.
Posted via Mobile Device
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
BigDan3131

The thing is, single stage is more or less just clear with color already in it. Its the binder
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
LakeAnna

My father has done a couple old cars mixing the clear with the color all of them turned out awesome. If you spray enough so that you can wet sand it and buff your going to have a nice deep shine. Make sure you sand all the trash and peel out of it before you spray the last two coats with the clear/color mix.

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
ryanmctee

Thanks for the info guys. I really like the idea of spraying the 50/50 mix of color and clear on the final coat, especially when doing a two tone paint job. I defiantely will be doing this on the final coat. Thanks again for the advise and I will be following up with plenty of pictures once I get some color on the outside of the truck. Now if I can only figure out the lines for the upper trim, I'll be all set. (My truck only had lower trim, so trying to figure out the location for the upper trim has been a challenge.) Will keep everyone posted....
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

You need way more than 3 coats if your gonna cut and buff the outside!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
ryanmctee

How many coats would you recommend, to cut and buff to a super high gloss?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Anytime I spray single stage i never put less than 10 coats!!! I know many guys that put up to 20!!! That's the only way you can cut and buff it smooth and still have some material for a later cut and buff once it pulls back.. But that's just my two cents!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
ryanmctee

Seems like alot, but I get it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of paint, 1 gallon of green and 1 gallon of white, plus 1 gallon of clear. Don't see any reason to let all that paint sit around and go bad. Makes sense to keep spraying. Question, do you just let the paint continue to flash and spray each coat every 15 minutes or so, or do you spray 3-4 coats at a time, let dry, them more coats? I appreciate your help and input. Ryan
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

If your gonna clear over the single stage then you will only need 3 to 4 coats because you will not wanna cut down to the color!!! But to me it is pointless to clear over single stage it's a waste of money in my opinion. But if you do make sure to let the single stage gas out all the way before you put clear on it, or it will cause the clear to pop!!! Good luck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Kyle

Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
ryanmctee

screaminchevy, as my membership says 'junior' member, I am a junior painter as well. Have painted a couple of cars in the past, but am by no means a pro. I bought Kirker paint (which is all single stage) based on price and reviews. In retrospect, I probably should have used base/clear. Oh well, water under the bridge. The inside of the cab is painted, and looks great with no clear. A few minor dust bunnies in it though. I want the clear on the outside of the truck just for durability's sake.

I'm torn between mixing clear with the final couple of coats, or clearing the entire truck after it gasses out. What's your thoughts? By the way, how long at say a 60-65 degree garage would you figure the single stage urethane to do it's thing and be ready for clear if I go that route? Thanks again for your help/input.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

If it were me I would wait a few days to put clear on the truck after it pulls back, then block it with 1000 grit then clear!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Kyle

Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
evowerks

I painted my GMC with single stage and 3 coats of clear over it. No problems and it looks great.

69 C-30 flatbed/dump on a '88 P30 chassis
70 C-30 Cab & Chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291544
67 GMC Camper Cruiser cab

73 Gmc K25 Sierra Grande BUILD THREAD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291276
evowerks is offline   Reply With Quote