The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Custom cab trim hole layout

I did a several searches, but couldn't pull it up.

I've seen pics out of the factory service manuals that actually has the hole spacing. If you have a link please share or post the pics here. I'm mainly needing the fender, but all would be helpful. Thanks
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
rbar

Re: Custom cab trim hole layout

I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I posted that on here for someone in recent months. I'll try to reminder to get it to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
MisterC

Here is the page with your previous post. I saved it in case I have to replace a fender or something.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...77#post5142277
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbar View Post
I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I posted that on here for someone in recent months. I'll try to reminder to get it to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Here is the page with your previous post. I saved it in case I have to replace a fender or something.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...77#post5142277
Thanks guys, I found it as well.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Woogeroo

"wrench, Alan, wrench!"

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
"wrench, Alan, wrench!"

-W
I'm trying to get it ready for our get together in 2 weeks.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
rbar

Did you get your 88 or so holes drilled yet? The nice thing about drilling the holes is you can get it all lined up perfect with the way the body is setting, provided you got the body lined up well. Are you going to paint in between the trim on the bed?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbar View Post
Did you get your 88 or so holes drilled yet? The nice thing about drilling the holes is you can get it all lined up perfect with the way the body is setting, provided you got the body lined up well. Are you going to paint in between the trim on the bed?
The bed and cab corner already had holes. i had to drill the door and fender. Yes, I am painting it silver between the trim.

Drilled the holes in the door and fender on both sides.

I used a laser level to get a straight line from the holes that were already in the bed and cab corner. I had an old door that had trim holes so I made a template and lined it up with the laser line.

Then I used a self firing center punch, 1/8" bit and a unibit. There are 2 different size holes. The yellow touch up stick was used to paint the bare metal.

I'm ready to paint the silver between the mouldings.

Waiting on the new mouldings from Mar-K, should be here next week. Had a little issue with the trim, but they are taking care of it.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Are the holes located in some exact location along the length of the bed, or are they just so many inches apart?
I have a couple longbed sides that I might cut down to shortbed and was curious how that would effect the hole locations.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
scum1

i was wondering the same thing..from the looks of the pictures it seems the clips slide along the trim. so the holes dont have to be in any exact location. Correct me if im wrong, because once i receive my trim i was gonna check it out, and maybe just use a level and drill holes every so many inches and call it done.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
ozzyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
i was wondering the same thing..from the looks of the pictures it seems the clips slide along the trim. so the holes dont have to be in any exact location. Correct me if im wrong, because once i receive my trim i was gonna check it out, and maybe just use a level and drill holes every so many inches and call it done.
The clips slide along the trim so as long as the holes are relatively even and are all level its all good!
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
MisterC

I don't want to hijack your thread Alan, but I'm hoping to draw on the expertise of this crowd related to this subject. I started mocking up the side trim that I got this weekend and I ran into a problem on the driver's side bed panel. The holes on the side of the bed appear to be spaced out per the factory specs above, but the trim line is about 1/8 of an inch higher than the rest of the trim. It's tough to tell from this picture, but I can take more when I get home with the trim on.

When I mount the trim in the holes, it's immediately noticable. Has anyone ever seen this misalignment from the factory or should I assume that the panel has been replaced and drilled incorrectly?

I'm trying to decide if I should start looking for another side panel. This one has some body filler on it and the back bumper area is damaged. I think it may be easier to just replace the entire panel if I can find a good one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
padresag

Quote:
I don't want to hijack your thread Alan, but I'm hoping to draw on the expertise of this crowd related to this subject. I started mocking up the side trim that I got this weekend and I ran into a problem on the driver's side bed panel. The holes on the side of the bed appear to be spaced out per the factory specs above, but the trim line is about 1/8 of an inch higher than the rest of the trim. It's tough to tell from this picture, but I can take more when I get home with the trim on.

When I mount the trim in the holes, it's immediately noticable. Has anyone ever seen this misalignment from the factory or should I assume that the panel has been replaced and drilled incorrectly?

I'm trying to decide if I should start looking for another side panel. This one has some body filler on it and the back bumper area is damaged. I think it may be easier to just replace the entire panel if I can find a good one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
did you have the trim on the truck prior, and if so what was the alignment like?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
MisterC

No I did not not. When I purchased the truck, it didn't have the trim with it and the PO stated that he purchased it that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
350 V-8 - Powerglide

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Alan's Classic

I take it the pass side is fine? I had to put some shims under my rear cab mounts to get mine lined up after checking other things that was the simplest thing to do. It might be the right thing for yours. If your pass side is good, then look from the rear about 20' behind the truck and look over the bed and see if it level with the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
padresag

Quote:
No I did not not. When I purchased the truck, it didn't have the trim with it and the PO stated that he purchased it that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
well I see different colours from frt to rear and that the body lines seem to match up. there may have been a difference if that box had been on a different vehicle. I was just looking at a truck picture the other and seeing a difference from side to side.
on
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
rbar

Perhaps the bed used to be on a different truck and someone drilled them too high.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
MisterC

Thanks all for the input. The bed looks level from the back and all of the body lines match up from cab to bed. The truck was originally saddly in color. Through the blue primer, I can see saddle coloring on the inside of the bed, so I'm assuming this is the original bed. With that said, the driver's side of the bed is the only place that I can find a large of amount of body filler. That's what leads me to believe that perhaps the lower section of the bed on that side was replaced and the holes were drilled too high.

Perhaps they will need to be filled and new ones drilled or I may just replace that side if I can find a good original side. I'm not a body guy, so I'll leave that part to the pros when I get to that stage. I was just hoping to be able to use the trim until I eventually got around to painting it.
350 V-8 - Powerglide