The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
SCOTI

89 R3500 7.4l oil psi/fuel cut-off switch location

Where does the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump go on a 7.4l bbc w/TBI? My assumption is a boss located on the driver side toward the front of block tucked behind the power steering pump set-up. I want to confirm this if possible.

Pics are always good if someone has them as well.

Thanks in advance!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
rfmaster

Re: 89 R3500 7.4l oil psi/fuel cut-off switch location

TBI system uses oil pressure switch as a back-up for a fuel pump relay. This switch is located in the back of the engine, to the left side of distributor. Usually there is a 90 deg brass riser into which oil pressure switch screws into. Depending on truck options it may have a three wire plug which should have gray, orange and brown color wires.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
TBI system uses oil pressure switch as a back-up for a fuel pump relay. This switch is located in the back of the engine, to the left side of distributor. Usually there is a 90 deg brass riser into which oil pressure switch screws into. Depending on truck options it may have a three wire plug which should have gray, orange and brown color wires.

//RF
This is what I've found doing Google research which is what propmted me to ask the question.

When I pulled the motor from my truck, I labeled most of the plugs/wires; some better than others. Where this 'plug' is on the 'engine' wiring harness is around the same location as the a/c compressor plug (front driver side of the motor). There's definitely not enough wire for it to reach the rear of the block. I also tagged it as 'crank front/side'.

I couldn't remember where the switch originally went because the machine shop pulled it off & just tossed it in my used parts box w/the old p-rods, rockers, & stuff. The threads for the 'switch' seem to match the threads for that front port as well & it's @ the crank centerline of the oil pan rail.

Was the location for these the same on sbc's & bbc's?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This is what I've found doing Google research which is what propmted me to ask the question.

When I pulled the motor from my truck, I labeled most of the plugs/wires; some better than others. Where this 'plug' is on the 'engine' wiring harness is around the same location as the a/c compressor plug (front driver side of the motor). There's definitely not enough wire for it to reach the rear of the block. I also tagged it as 'crank front/side'.

I couldn't remember where the switch originally went because the machine shop pulled it off & just tossed it in my used parts box w/the old p-rods, rockers, & stuff. The threads for the 'switch' seem to match the threads for that front port as well & it's @ the crank centerline of the oil pan rail.

Was the location for these the same on sbc's & bbc's?
On that year BBC its on the left front pan rail..pic.

On a SBC its behind the distributor or above the oil filter pad.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
On that year BBC its on the left front pan rail..pic.

On a SBC its behind the distributor or above the oil filter pad.
Excellent. Thanks for that pic/schematic as it brings a secondary question to the table....

#41 in the pic indicates its the 'water temp switch'. Anyone know specifically what this is as there's another water temp sending unit that was in the middle of the pass side head? I'm guessing one is for the ECU while the other is for the gauge?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Shyguy

#41 on my '92 K-3500 with a 454 is for the temperature gauge. The one in the passenger side head is for the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
#41 on my '92 K-3500 with a 454 is for the temperature gauge. The one in the passenger side head is for the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator.
Ahhh. I started looking for it in the wiring schematics but haven't made it all the way through.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG