The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
WORP67

'67 Keg Sled

I picked up a '67 C10 fleet side a couple months back(4-2012). I had been trying to get it for about a year and finally was able to after some things fell into place at the right time. It was originally a 6cyl 3 speed auto. Someone at one time changed it to a 307 v8 mated to the/a Th350.

I call it the Keg Sled cause it is goin to have a beer keg for the fuel tank and a pony keg for the air tank. Might run dual pony's one for each as I am not sure about that yet.

Here is what I have started with.

Here is when I first got it home.

Once I got room cleared out for it I tore into it.

Had to get this thing out and go through it.

Got the engine and trans out and left my self with a empty engine bay.

I didnt have a engine stand so it was time to pick one up. Once I did I tore the block down and started on the clean up.

After getting the block good and clean I painted it gloss black.

I was back and forth on fuel injection or carb setup. I was thinking carb mainly cause of initial cost. A buddy of mine had a TPI setup 99% complete just missing a coil wire and a few sensors. He cut me a deal on everything so I picked it up from him and got it all cleaned up and painted some of it.

I had a new water pump from a 350 that we had got for my grandfathers '67 laying around that we couldn't use cause of his serpentine setup cause it to rotate backwards. So I painted it to match the engine to find out it was to wide for my 307 and wouldn't bolt on.

So I had to pick up a new water pump.

I also installed a new cam, lifters, pushrods, and timing set with the new top end. For heads I picked up a set of fresh rebuilt 416 casting 305H.O. heads to mate to the TPI setup. The cam I chose was a Edelbrock 2102 with hydraulic lifters and a Edelbrock roller timing chain set. For push rods I ended up pick up a set of Comp Cams hardened ones.

After rebuilding the bottom end with new rings, bearings, high volume oil pump, head studs and other ARP fasteners, I was able to assemble my short block and do mock up on the top end.

I picked up a set of polished tall valve covers and aluminum pulleys for it.

I picked up a throttle pedal assembly from a '81 C10 and planned on using it for my TPI setup with a cable instead of the linkage rods. After I got it I realized I needed a throttle and kick down cable for a TPI system so I got a Lokar braided stainless cable.

I also picked up matching oil and trans dipstick to go with it. After I got the throttle cable I realized I don't need the '81 pedal assy as I could just use my stock setup and just trim my Lokar cable to the correct length.

I decided to go with power front disc conversion and power steering. So I preceded to rip out all the drum stuff to swap in the power stuff. While everything was out I pressure washed the frame, cross member, fender wells, firewall, core support, everything up there to get it ready for blasting.

I picked up the complete front suspension and steering setup from a '81 2wd C10 from a buddy of mine. I even got the sway bar and brackets so I can put those on my truck to make it handle a litter better. I am going to stay with 6 lug so I still have to get rotors to go with my brake setup. As well as a new front bushing set. These are worn pretty bad.

I do plan on bagging the truck but not going to fbss or anything just all four up and down. I am hoping to Z the front while I have everything out. Figured out now would be the best time.

Since I am not going to do fbss I figured a front and rear sway with good shocks will give me a nice ride and still handle pretty good. I don't know if I will be able to do the bag setup yet but I can roll around on a nice static drop til I do.

As for the trans I got a B&M shift kit and a B&M Holeshot 2000 stall. I knew I would need something with the cam but didn't want to high cause it will wind up being a daily. I still have to install the shift kit in it. I figured I would finish the motor first. I found out tonight that I have 3.73 gears in the rear so I am not sure if I will be swapping to a 700r4 so I can have over drive or not. I want the better mpg and drive-ability on the freeway. I am just not a fan of the 700r4.

I am just down to waiting on injectors and o-rings to come in before I can finish the rest. I swapped the 350 TPI 22lb injectors for some Bosch gen 3 19lb ones. I am having the computer reprogrammed for the new injectors, cam, egr delete, air pump delete, vats delete, and a few other things. I have also swapped my memcal out for a 305 memcal so the knock board would be correct for the displacement.

Once the engine and trans are done I am going to work on the body and interior. I have a '95 Silverado bench seat with the fold down arm rest that I am having recovered in black. I am doing stainless steel door panels as well as gauge bezel and glove box door covers.

The truck is going to be a DuPont light blue that I like a lot. Here is a picture of the color I am going to be using. Everything is getting shaved such as handles, locks, emblems, trim, moldings, etc. I am going to do a cali combo in the rear and a shaved front roll pan with some recessed fogs in it.

For the bed floor I am doing a 1 piece of stainless steel with some small stainless tubs if I have to.

On my exhaust I plan on a true dual setup exiting out of the bed sides in front of the rear tires. I will be running 2.5" with either Flowmaster 40 or 44 series mufflers. I will be doing a stainless cut out trim piece for around where the tip is flush mounted with the bed side.

All questions and comments are welcome. If you are going to say I wouldn't do this or that don't just leave it as that explain why you wouldn't.
WORP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
LakeAnna

Re: '67 Keg Sled

You've done a lot of work already! Everything looks good so far.

The tpi and the 700r should make a great combo. What color blue are you going to use?

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
WORP67

Thanks I have put some hard work in it. I should be getting a nice paycheck for working Memorial Day. I am going to be using all my extra pay to buy floor pans, rocker panels, keg, fuel lines and fittings and sensors I need. Hopefully I can get it all. I also have to get a Lokar cable bracket and kick down cable.

It don't have a actual name. Just a color code.

I am working on re-sizing the photos I didn't realize they are so big.

Last edited by WORP67; 05-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
LakeAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORP67 View Post
Thanks I have put some hard work in it. I should be getting a nice paycheck for working Memorial Day. I am going to be using all my extra pay to buy floor pans, rocker panels, keg, fuel lines and fittings and sensors I need. Hopefully I can get it all. I also have to get a Lokar cable bracket and kick down cable.

It don't have a actual name. Just a color code.

I am working on re-sizing the photos I didn't realize they are so big.
Check Bowtieoverdrives out they have great products for the 700r. They sent me everything for mine... all good stuff with one phone call.

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
duallyjams

Nice project. I need some friends like yours to pick up a tpi.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
WORP67

I had to pay for it but not like everyone is asking. I got the TPI for $250. It came with complete intake, wiring harness, ecu, most the sensors, MSD coil, dizzy, accell 8.8 wires, injectors, adj fuel regulator, -6an fuel line adapters, GM performance air filter, and I'm sure something I'm forgetting.

I will check them out. Just sucks I just got the converter and shift kit. Will I have to get a different driveshaft with the 700? I have a long tail shaft 350.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
67cheby
67cheby

Great job, now lets see some more progress !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
67c10rustbuket

Cool project and nice work you have done so far! I dig those TPI set ups. I owned a few but never had one on a running engine.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
WORP67

Thanks for the compliments.

I hope to be working on shaving the firewall tomorrow. I have to pick up some small pieces of sheet metal for it. Not doing a full shave but removing the ac blower stuff over there.

I have always like the tpi just never had anything to put one on or had one other than on a old 87 iroc z. It's long gone though.

I need my injectors to get here so I can finish the motor. Those and new orings to go on them as well as a dizzy hold down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
longbed67

how are you going to seal the pony kegs so they dont leak air with the vibration? with quick connects they will leak if not break with road vibration... just curious.

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
WORP67

Weld in AN fittings and run short sections of flex hose. Something like a braided stainless covered rubber hose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
WORP67

My Bosch gen III 19lb injectors came in today and I made my EGR block off plate so I was able to get my intake on.

Here is where I have the motor to now. I need to get 4 lower runner bolts, 4 throttle body bolts, locking header bolts, alternator, aluminum power steering pulley, also have to make a custom CAI. I also think I am going to replace my harmonic balancer cause its not in the best of shape.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
longbed67

If your looking I know where to get a power steering double pulley that matches the ones you already have. I think I paid 34 plus ship for mine from them.

(608) 214-8706
Old 05-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
WORP67

Yeah hit my up and let me know. It has to be a press on pulley not a key way style. I also need to get brackets for power steering and alt. The stainless ones I have won't work with the tpi manifold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
longbed67

He might have the press on style.... I got the keyway type. I ended up cutting off the back pulley in the lathe to get it to work right with my L6 setup but heres a pic of it on the pump. Skip White performance @ 877-288-3881 has them.
Attached Images

(608) 214-8706
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #16
WORP67

I messaged him asking if they had the press on type.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
The Big Green

That there is a good looking starter, it's almost like the on that was sitting in my moms field for a year before the dude came to pick it up. I about sold it a few dozen times! JK, it wasn't hurting me and wasn't eating anything! I can't wait to have both ours done ane try to plan a Route 66 trip someday in the future. Mine will be a lot slower but is mostly done as far as a daily, just need to save for a 5.3.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
WORP67

Glad I was finally able to get it. We can get that 5.3 in yours. I am looking toward to the Route 66 trip. Maybe we can post something up on here about it and get a group run going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
WORP67

With goin to do a bagged setup would it be better to go with urathane bushings or just autoparts stores replacement ones?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
Tinkermc

looks real nice so far and very quick work. Keep the pics comming
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
WORP67

I got my shift kit installed tonight in the trans. Got to pick up a new filter tomorrow. Then finish cleaning the trans and out side of pan and paint them too. I don't know if I should paint the trans gloss black like the engine or silver. It's pretty stained up so something needs to be done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #22
WORP67

Traded my 350 memcal for a chipped and programmed 305 memcal. He deleted vats, EGR, air pump, modded the elec fan kick in, tuned for my cam and heads, and a few other things.

Found out one of my plug wires has been previously melted against a header so got some more coming. Also got the right water neck that's needed to match my radiator hose to the engine. The stock tpi one is about half the size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
WORP67

Got my throttle bracket and cable mounted to the intake as well as my water neck. Also got the injectors installed and varified what fuel pressure to run.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
WORP67

Its been a couple weeks since I posted on here. Been very busy with work, wife having surgery, and remodeling a new house to move into.

Got to do some work on the truck finally.

I did some shaving on the firewall and I got started on Z'ing my frame. Here are a few pics what I have got done.

This is the firewall I started with.

Here are some of the work and fitment.

There where two holes in the side where someone had cut with a hole saw bit.

This is where its at now. Still have some more clean up and some filler and block it down.

Here is where I am on the frame work.

I did a 2.5" Z in mine and here is where I cut it at.

This is the rear where after its just stitched back together. I still need to plate and reinforce everything.

The front after I got it dropped down and some of the plating done. Still have clean up and more plating to do and then the other side.

Last edited by WORP67; 06-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #25
WORP67

Also I have received my -8AN adapters for my trans to run my trans cooler, 3/8" aluminum tube for my fuel line, -6AN T's, and the -6AN to hardline adapters. Once I am finish with the Z I am goin to run my supply and return lines for my fuel system. I also found out my beer keg idea wont work for a air tank. It is stamped right into the tank that max pressure is 60psi. Still goin to run either 1 full size or 2 pony for my fuel tanks though. I picked up 1 pony keg Wed. I removed the stock fuel tank last night and goin to work on blasting the frame rail and interior. The injector adapters are also in and installed, picked up my knock sensor, got my memcal reprogrammed for the heads, cam, comp, etc.