The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

Tonneau or Tonno Cover Bows or Rails

I am looking to have a snap style tonneau cover made to fit my truck but I need to find my own bows. They should be pretty available but the local boat shop told me to just give up, (I seem to hear that a lot) the the local upholstry shop told me that his customers come in with them.

Where can I find these, something in fiberglass/composite or aluminum?
Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Tonneau or Tonno Cover Bows or Rails

The last one I can remember making us in '77. Standard vinylized cloth boat top material. For the bows we use one on swb and two on lwb trucks. They were a bulk flatstock ash with a matching size chrome marine surface mount box fitting. Might have to make the sockets but the wood any quality hardwood supply should have. Modern composite replacements would be ok but likely expensive. Might try a ski shop.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

It's tonneau. I'm surprised these shops didn't just offer to get the materials for you. Any real upholstery shop would at least have some idea of where to tell you to get the bow material,sockets,and front track. My upholstery guy orders that stuff for me. They are supposed to be the resource for anything related. I've had several done and the most recent one was on a utility bed. That was the first one that used aluminum tub with plastic fittings on the ends to fit the mount pieces on the side. The tube has a slight arch to it. This was the first one where I did everything but the tarp material itself. It was on a utility bed and I didn't want it to just snap over the edges because I needed to step on top of the boxes. I bought 1" aluminum channel and made side pieces,then installed the bow mounts to that. Took it in to them and the fitted the heavy duty truck tarp material.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

See if this will do:
http://www.classicparts.com/1954-87-...ctinfo/15-911/

Scroll down, price is for pair.

Last edited by TobyArnot; 08-08-2012 at 07:41 AM.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

$65 for that??!!! Man,I'm going to have to talk to Joe's Upholstery and see what's up. I googled tonneau cover parts,components,replacement parts,etc and all I got were newfangled frame mount complete units I can find anywhere w/o Google shoved in my face. Now Classic has single bows for $65 each and they don't even say which type of bed (just send your money and find out),but I assume it's Stepside.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-08-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Sounds like a $300 to the door Craftec cover might be an option to look at.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
chopnchaneled

Subcribed,

While craftech makes good stuff, looking for bows for a snap on cover.

The velcro one i had got all gooey "if thats a word" and would not stay sealed,
kept coming loose going down the road.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The new style tonneaus are cool and all,but I like my trucks old school...the way it always was,and I haven't changed. I still drill tiny holes in nice bedsides for a truly custom detail. I've heard people squawk for many years over it. I'm just not into bolt-on off the shelf when it comes to custom and/or period enhancements. Custom upholstery is a true custom handmade touch that goes back to when custom meant custom and there was no alternative. You can get any color or material made on earth,too. Like match your interior.

EDIT: Velcro is for old folk's shoes. Snaps is where it's at!

Tim

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Billett

Truxedo and Extang make roll up covers for our years as well. As for bows, the cover on my s10 just had flat aluminum pipe maybe 1" diam. that sat on a rail clamped to the bedside. The pipe was held to the main vinyl by some pieces of velcro that were stitched into it. I can take pictures later if you like
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The new style tonneaus are cool and all,but I like my trucks old school...the way it always was,and I haven't changed. I still drill tiny holes in nice bedsides for a truly custom detail. I've heard people squawk for many years over it. I'm just not into bolt-on off the shelf when it comes to custom and/or period enhancements. Custom upholstery is a true custom handmade touch that goes back to when custom meant custom and there was no alternative. You can get any color or material made on earth,too. Like match your interior.

That's the plan for my current truck. How much does say a lwb tonneau run you at your fabric place? The fabric alone at mine is pretty pricey, but I'm not much of a connoisseur in that area haha
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
haysonj

(Velcro is for old folk's shoes.) Watch the old crap, did you know there is a whole generation of young people that can't tie a shoelace because of Velcro
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
70cst

I have an Extang Tonneau and I love it. I didn't want to drill holes in my truck. It's not what you was asking for but when you add up the costs of your project compare the prices of already made tonneaus. Good Luck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Billett

Is that a roll up or flip up? I'd like to still be able to use my bed to haul furniture if the need arises. And if it's a flip up, how long does it take to come off completely?
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
skoolbusyeller72

I have the extang roll up on my 72 the frame is guaranteed for life and the fabric for 10 years... no holes to drill and it looks and fits great .
1913 Model T Speedster
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...07/72skoolbus/
skoolbusyeller72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Hard Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's it! Thanks to the guys who are trying to sell me a new kit but as I stated, I already have snaps on the truck, there would be no cost savings by buying a kit and welding up every single hole and repainting the bed and tailgate.

Still looking for bows, thanks TobyArnot, will give Classic Parts a call but that seems a lot more than I expected. Will also try the ski shop that SS Tim sugested.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Is that a roll up or flip up? I'd like to still be able to use my bed to haul furniture if the need arises. And if it's a flip up, how long does it take to come off completely?
That is a roll up with no use of Velcro...

http://www.extangfactoryoutlet.com/R...lts=51&index=1

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
That's it! Thanks to the guys who are trying to sell me a new kit but as I stated, I already have snaps on the truck, there would be no cost savings by buying a kit and welding up every single hole and repainting the bed and tailgate.

Still looking for bows, thanks TobyArnot, will give Classic Parts a call but that seems a lot more than I expected. Will also try the ski shop that SS Tim sugested.
I missed the part where you said you already had the holes drilled. I don't think anyone was trying to sell you on a Tonneau but just offering an option. Best of luck with your search

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
SS Tim

Here is what I found over at Taylor Made, ah the memories, they have be doing this forever it seems. http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/

http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Hard Luck

Who's the man? You're the man!

Went through the catalog two times but it is in there
#924 Fiberglass Bow - #935 pair of Box sockets

Have an inquiry into my local dealer...in Mandan, ND to get prices and timeline.

Thanks Tim.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post

Overtons has wood bows for boat covers for about $10 ea, you may be able to make them work
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I haven't had a cover done for a while,so not up on current costs. That '95 used a truck tarp material that is the most tear and shrink resistant and also most expensive. I ended up totaling that truck in an accident. It was upside down with all my carpentry tools,such as table saw,mitre box,air compressor,boxes of screws & nails,etc. and suspended by the tonneau without a tear. Pretty amazing.
I'm saving that Taylor Made site just in case my guy ends up not being able to find this stuff...which I highly doubt. He does boats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
(Velcro is for old folk's shoes.) Watch the old crap, did you know there is a whole generation of young people that can't tie a shoelace because of Velcro
The comment is all in fun,of course,but I still say velcro is for old folks (who are unable or it has become difficult to tie their own shoes). I hope to tie my shoes till my last day. The point is,velcro has no place on tonneau covers. As far as kids shoes with velcro? That's for enabling parents who lack the foresight that teaching your child how to tie their own shoes is an important part of their development as well as allowing a better feeling of self worth. My kids never had velcro shoes

Tim