The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
GMCJOE

Looking for info on building a Custom Guage Cluster

Well, I eventually plan on building my own custom gauge cluster for my 69 GMC. The current one in the truck only has 3 gauges (speedometer, idiot gauge, and fuel gauge). Going to start building a new one up slowly. I am going to use a instrument panel that has the 4 gauges at the bottom and 3 at the top. The idiot gauge will be replaced with a Tach.

Any one got pictures of there custom gauge cluster build?

One of my biggest issue's is trying to find a aftermarket fuel gauge that is the same size a the factory. I want to keep them all the same brand or same look. Any help and suggestions are great.
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
James Hart

Re: Looking for info on building a Custom Guage Cluster

not sure if you've seen it, but here is a site I found (on here or via google) for gauges
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=67_72_ChevT
James Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
knomadd

Most aftermarket gauge setups use the larger tach and speedo and typically put a clock in the center between the tach and speedo like this...
Attached Images

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
GMCJOE

Those set-ups looks like that will be the way I go. It solves my problem of looking for a large fuel gauge. And I always need a clock. Thanks.

Everyone keep sharing you custom gauge set-ups. The more ideas the merrier. Especially since I am going to build my own. And I am sure there will be plenty of members that will come along and want to build there own also.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
knomadd

If you're going to buy a set of gauges, you can always customize your own. Check this out... http://www.ampcustomshop.com/ They cost very close to the same amount of money as you'd pay for pre-made gauges. Or even cheaper depending on what you look at.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
GMCJOE

I am planning on building my own. But, I will sit down and crunch some numbers after I find all the gauges I plan on putting in. Then I will find out which route is the best way to go wallet wise.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
knomadd

I just ran through the Auto Meter Custom Shop and they don't have the mid sized clock. You can double gauge it and put the fuel and oil pressure in it and open up the small gauges for say trans temp, oil temp, or vacuum/boost gauge, or a small clock... Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
If you're going to buy a set of gauges, you can always customize your own. Check this out... http://www.ampcustomshop.com/ They cost very close to the same amount of money as you'd pay for pre-made gauges. Or even cheaper depending on what you look at.
If you want the mid sized clock, I'd buy one of the kits from the parts stores like Brothers or Classic Industries or wherever else you find them.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
GMCJOE

Sounds good. I will have to buy one gauge at a time, or put the money aside one gauge at a time till I can purchase a whole kit. Normal life kicks your butt on getting a project done up the way you want them.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
GMCJOE

Quote:
I just ran through the Auto Meter Custom Shop and they don't have the mid sized clock. You can double gauge it and put the fuel and oil pressure in it and open up the small gauges for say trans temp, oil temp, or vacuum/boost gauge, or a small clock... Just a thought.

If you want the mid sized clock, I'd buy one of the kits from the parts stores like Brothers or Classic Industries or wherever else you find them.
Do you have the website for Brothers? My search isn't coming up with very good results.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
knomadd

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/

You can look at just about any parts place that carries custom stuff for our trucks. Those were just a couple I could think of. I can't think of where I saw them all, but I know there are more out there.

I think Early Classic Enterprise carries some custom gauges too.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
GMCJOE

I have been looking for a hot minute at gauges to do this with. Eventually I will just have to set my mind to one brand and style that has all that I want to install and start this adventure. I am sure I will have fun wiring this all up when I get to it. This isn't very high up on the list of things to do yet on my truck, but I tend to get my research done way before hand.
Doing my disk brake up grade and 700r4 swap before I get to the gauge build.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
knomadd

You sound like me. I've been looking at gauges for my GTO for about two years now. Can't pull the trigger yet. At first it was not priority, then it was not enough money, then I couldn't decide, now it's back to money. I think I've made up my mind on what I want now though.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
gotchamel

Here is mine,Vision series VDO{electric}gauges,LED'S for turn,high beams and em brake.The speedo/tach were just a tad small so I used a 1/8" piece of pvc as a backer.7 hole bezel from LMC,Summit had the gauges/senders.All work perfectly.Got about what a finished cluster cost in it but like it better.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
GMCJOE

Quote:
You sound like me. I've been looking at gauges for my GTO for about two years now. Can't pull the trigger yet. At first it was not priority, then it was not enough money, then I couldn't decide, now it's back to money. I think I've made up my mind on what I want now though.
Yeah, life deals us a hand full of cards and we have to decide what to make out of them.

Thanks to a fellow member on here, ronrob84 (who has a bunch of parts listed). I purchased a gauge cluster for $30 shipped. Now after doing some more research, I might just do a factory tach conversion on it. Did some numbers crunching, and this seems like it will be the better route to save money. Either way, I will still gain the intend purpose of the upgrade and still have a clean look.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchamel View Post

Here is mine,Vision series VDO{electric}gauges,LED'S for turn,high beams and em brake.The speedo/tach were just a tad small so I used a 1/8" piece of pvc as a backer.7 hole bezel from LMC,Summit had the gauges/senders.All work perfectly.Got about what a finished cluster cost in it but like it better.
Very nice. I like your end result. Thank you for sharing you cluster build with the rest of us. Is there anything left of the stock set-up on the backside, or is it a complete custom wire up?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
gotchamel

I used a 12 pin male/female quick disconnect from Painless.The cluster comes out real easy.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
GMCJOE

That is a great idea. I will keep that in mind as I am unsure of the route I will actually go till I get to that point.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
GMCJOE

My donor cluster. In need of some TLC, but you have to start somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
gotchamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
My donor cluster. In need of some TLC, but you have to start somewhere.
Krylon Fusion paint works very good on plastic.Alittle denatured alcohol wipe down on go.Good luck with your project.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchamel View Post
Krylon Fusion paint works very good on plastic.Alittle denatured alcohol wipe down on go.Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind when I get around to it. If you check out my build thread, this one is on the back burner. I am in the collecting parts process till I get back state side.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
GMCJOE

LMC has aided in my research and end choice of what I am going to do now. I am going to take this donor and restore it. I will add the factory tach to it. Depending on how well I can recondition the bezel will determine if I purchase a new one of them.

This is the parts list I have put together and the end result of over all cost is way better than purchasing new.

Tach: $89.95
Printed Circuit: $39.95
Instrument Lens: $29.95

Total of $159.85 in parts minus paint, the wire to run the tach, and possibly a few small items. I may possibly purchase the tach wiring kit from LMC also. Over all, I should have around $200 +/- in this including the purchase of the donor gauge cluster.

There is still a future custom build of a cluster in the future. A tinker is never satisfied. And my paint skills aren't nothing to brag on. So, if I end up buy a new bezel, a custom will follow.

Continue to share yours. The more ideas I have, the better the end result will be.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
ghostvbhc

I bought an instrument cluster off of eBay for my truck for $160 and I have an aftermarket tachometer. The only thing that doesn't work on it is the speedometer and the temperature gauge but we don't have a temperature sending unit which we'll be getting and we think the speedometer cable isn't working so we're gonna replace that too. It was a pretty nice cluster too.
Posted via Mobile Device
ghostvbhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
mr48chev

At one time I thought about taking a second glove box door and using it for the instrument panel and putting a set of matched "street rod" gauges in it. A guy could place the gauges where he wanted them that way and run what gauges (and or clock) he wanted.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
1-PU70

Hers what I made for mine.
Attached Images

1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostvbhc View Post
I bought an instrument cluster off of eBay for my truck for $160 and I have an aftermarket tachometer. The only thing that doesn't work on it is the speedometer and the temperature gauge but we don't have a temperature sending unit which we'll be getting and we think the speedometer cable isn't working so we're gonna replace that too. It was a pretty nice cluster too.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have a clue if any of the ones work on the one I bought. But the price was great, and I will test each of them when I got it apart. The speedometer is useless to me, I am going to swap my current into this one for correct mileage. $160 is still a good price. LMC prices a new one for $650 and $700.

Last edited by GMCJOE; 09-18-2012 at 02:24 PM.