The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
hemifalcon

292 4.8L Motor mounts issue--need some help

EXPERTS>>> I need some help. I was going to place the motor mounts on the frame today--and possibly work towards putting the engine and trans in the chassis--when I realized that there may be a handup. I have the two motor mount perches which bolt to the motor. And, they are basically idential pieces however, the mounting points on the engine are not. If you look closely, the three bolt holes on the passenger side of the 4.8L block are on the same plane. But-the bosses on the drivers side of the block are on two separate planes. This causes a bit of a problem with the brackets. Are the two brackets supposed to be different? I can't remember when I took them off if there were possibly spacers on the passenger side which allowed for the bracket to fit correctly--anyone have any ideas or pictures to share which might help me out here--

passenger side view..
hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
DoubleL

Re: 292 4.8L Motor mounts issue--need some help

Not an expert but I do know the motor mounts themselves are different. The V-8s are both the same and the smaller I-6's are the same but on your 292 the drivers is different then the passenger side. I know because i have a pair sitting on my bench waiting for my next days off I can take some pics later today but I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835095
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
hemifalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
Not an expert but I do know the motor mounts themselves are different. The V-8s are both the same and the smaller I-6's are the same but on your 292 the drivers is different then the passenger side. I know because i have a pair sitting on my bench waiting for my next days off I can take some pics later today but I'm sure someone will beat me to it.
DoubleL-thank you.. Pictures would be great as I didn't take close up pictures of the mounts before taking them off.. I just didn't think that There'd be an issue. I never really eyeballed them too closely before removing them. But, these are the mounts that were on the truck, with this same engine when I drove it home. So--I can't figure out how this worked unless spacers had been in between the engine and perch..

I found this on that auction site.. The engine mounts look the same--with spacers to offset the mount design. Is this normal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-292-mo...d3ed0b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by hemifalcon; 11-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: 292 4.8L Motor mounts issue--need some help

You may find what you want at the link provided here. Hope the picture(s) answer for you; looks like some may use spacers while others use offset perches to account for different planes.
sam
>> http://www.persh.org/Pickup/perches.htm <<
Attached Images

luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
hemifalcon

luvbowties--thanks for that link. It clarified what everyone else has said about the passenger side tower/perch being "smaller" in contrast to the driver side. But--the ebay ad actually helped. I had a bag of "extra stuff" which was full of grease from when I disassembled the engine initially--and lo and behold--I found the spacers shown in the pics.. Saved....

Mount brackets..

Here are the towers..

Hopefully this will help others as well.
Thanks again guys.